Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 285/75/16 Destination MT's and AR Chambers last night from GritsandGravy, now I need to figure out which lift to put on the FJ.

I've searched and read many, many threads and haven't found the comparison I'm looking for. I like the way my 2011 rides and handles pretty well, could always be better but I"m fairly satisfied. The truck is my daily driver and will spend 90% of the time on the road, mix of back country roads and highway. When I do go offroad it will most likely be old fire roads or beach, may do an occasional trail ride.

What I'm looking for is 2-3" lift that will give me close to the factory ride?

I've run a spacer lift on a 2000 Tundra, won't do that again. I upgraded that to Donahoe Racing coilovers. Also ran DR (ICON) coilovers on my 2004 Titan with TC UCA's, don't want either of those again. I've got a 6" Rough Country on a 2000 Dodge Ram and upgraded the shocks to Bilstien 5100's. While I'm not particularly happy with the way that truck handles, I do like the feel of the Bilstiens. I've also in the past installed OME on a Jeep and it rode pretty well (although it was my daughters and I didn't drive it that often)

So what do you suggest? Will OME give me what I want? Maybe OME springs with Bilstien shocks? Do I need to go coilovers, which ones ride well and don't squeek?

I do plan on adding bumpers and winch at some point down the road, but it may be awhile.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Toytec Ultimate will give you desired lift a nice ride in my opinion. I installed it on my friends FJ and it rides nicely. Firm and not on the stiff at all. I have Radflo coilovers and they are stiffer then Toytec , but that`s my preference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm running a 3" OME on my daily driver. Very comfortable and very capable. A little more pricey, but worth it. You can also choose a spring rate to match the added weight of the bumper. OME gets my vote.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I ran the ICON stage 1 on my '08. Decided to try something different with my 2011 FJ putting the SAW on. I am SO happy I did! They are absolutely amazing on the ride. Matter of fact, I have even had two people comment on how nice the ride is. One, another FJ owner who has stock, and the other was the body shop owner where I had my body mount chop done. Have to admit, the SAW suspension blows the ICON away hands down.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Not a RC 6", at least not with a lot of help in shocks and springs!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from test fitting the tire/wheel combo, we think it will clear with body mount chop which will give me a couple more weeks to decide on the lift.

Thanks for the feedback, all of the lifts mentioned above are on my list so I'd like to hear feedback. Also interested in the All Pro adjustable kit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
SAW? What exactly is that? I have heard the OME is capable but after a few years it feels like your front end is falling off. I can't speak by experiance however. I am in the exact same boat you are to be honest. I'll be watching this thread as well. :rocker:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The fox setup I installed back in 2008 rides great. The initial shock stroke is softer and the final stroke must be valved stiffer, I use high speed runs for the test, no hard bottoming.(the speed part is in the realm of what I consider OK speeds without a custom long travel, which I wouldn't do to an fj, beam fords are for that.)

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
SAW= Sway A Way!
Thanks for answering that! :cheers:

I think all of us were in that boat at one time unknownpharoah. Last year before buying the ICON's, I checked out thread after thread and even posted several myself. I started with looking at the spacers then OME on to the toytec, then settled on ICON for the price.

My thought process back then flowed as follows and all IMO

Spacers = for looks mainly with on road or very lite offroad

OME = awesome starter, have to choose which type to get, several said they sag after a while, and a lot get these only to upgrade later so thought I should just upgrade now to save money

ToyTec Ulti 3" = nothing but great reviews, good price, issues were adjustment ring on bottom and use of blistien - I came close to getting these though

ICON - this forum is very bias with ICON and most love them. I did too until after 2 or 3 months they started squeaking. Found out this is not uncommon for ICON. $1400 for something that made an embarrassing noise wasn't good.

I looked at Radflo and was thinking of getting but finally settled on SAW because they were a little cheaper. Bought my set for $1550 with free shipping.

The SAW are absolutely AWESOME and though the ICON's did have a great rid on and offroad, so far the SAW rides 100x better. A lot smoother ride!

Regardless of what you choose, except spacers, I think most would agree that anything gives a better ride than stock. So, the questions are more - what are you going to do with them and how much do you pay? For beaches, country roads, etc, all of these will work.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The SAW are absolutely AWESOME and though the ICON's did have a great rid on and offroad, so far the SAW rides 100x better. A lot smoother ride!
Is most of the ride improvement in the front, rear, or both equally improved? Just went from RC lift (w/ rear coils) to Icon Stage 1 and am very pleased with how the front rides now (never been in one w/ a SAW lift) but the back is very bumping and much stiffer than I expected. IMO the rear is not much better than the RC lift, which is disappointing. I believe this is mostly due to the mono-tube shocks (though correct me if I'm wrong) and thus I am thinking about replacing them.

The SAW rear shocks are more than I want to spend, but I've been considering the OME sport shocks or the Fox 2.0 piggies ($200/e, not the adjustable ones from All-Pro).

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Is most of the ride improvement in the front, rear, or both equally improved?
Personally, I think that it is an overall better quality ride all around, but I was used to the ICON's, so it could be that these are just a better ride than ICON IMO.

I will say that the rear is a little stiff than when I had the ICON, but I was aware it would be. I was told that with this setup, the full SAW kit, it is more designed for someone with a heavier offroad rear bumper and had the option to pay a little less for a different rear configuration, but I preferred getting the SAW in case I eventually get that rear bumper.

With both the ICON and SAW, my rear end did/does bounce when I go over a big bump in the road so understand what you are talking about. I just always chalked it up to having the stock bumpers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I picked up a set of 285/75/16 Destination MT's and AR Chambers last night from GritsandGravy, now I need to figure out which lift to put on the FJ.

I've searched and read many, many threads and haven't found the comparison I'm looking for. I like the way my 2011 rides and handles pretty well, could always be better but I"m fairly satisfied. The truck is my daily driver and will spend 90% of the time on the road, mix of back country roads and highway. When I do go offroad it will most likely be old fire roads or beach, may do an occasional trail ride.

What I'm looking for is 2-3" lift that will give me close to the factory ride?

I've run a spacer lift on a 2000 Tundra, won't do that again. I upgraded that to Donahoe Racing coilovers. Also ran DR (ICON) coilovers on my 2004 Titan with TC UCA's, don't want either of those again. I've got a 6" Rough Country on a 2000 Dodge Ram and upgraded the shocks to Bilstien 5100's. While I'm not particularly happy with the way that truck handles, I do like the feel of the Bilstiens. I've also in the past installed OME on a Jeep and it rode pretty well (although it was my daughters and I didn't drive it that often)

So what do you suggest? Will OME give me what I want? Maybe OME springs with Bilstien shocks? Do I need to go coilovers, which ones ride well and don't squeek?

I do plan on adding bumpers and winch at some point down the road, but it may be awhile.
You are going to get tons of opinions here, SAW vs. ICON vs. Fox vs. ToyTec vs. OME vs. IronMan vs. vs. vs. etc. etc.

Most folks like what they have, mainly because they want to rationalize their decision, even the folks that have had multiple setups have often had them with different tires or different model years. Even inflation pressure can make a difference! Unless you can read a true side by side comparison with as many variables as possible removed it wont be objective. Really opinion is only that opinion. Butt memory is notoriously biased, it's always your most recent purchase that is the best one, right?

Almost any of the available options are better than stock. I would avoid things like spacers, other than that do some research take everyones opinion and pick one based on your checkbook, gut and research, I guarantee you WILL be happy with your decision. :flame:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
The ride on my stock '11 FJ was 'comfy', but not what I'd consider desirable. I added Bilstein 5100's all around with Toytec coil overs in front and their Superflex springs in back. Now it has a very desirable ride and much better handling. The annoying stock nose-dive is gone and the off-road comfort is very good considering the big rocks I'm hitting on most runs. Most of the locals I know around here are running OME lifts, but I haven't ridden in one to be able to make a comparison. I just know I'm happy with mine. The front 5100's are on their lowest setting and the coil-overs are adjusted for 3" of lift (currently). I've added a set of 4 heavy steel skids, CO2 bottle and EXP-One front and rear bumpers with only about 5/8" of drop. When I add a winch I can easily raise the front if it drops more than I like. If you can, go for a ride in some other FJs with various suspension set-ups, and considering other mods they've made see what you think of the ride comfort. I'm positive you'd like the Toytec/5100s much better than stock.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Although you say your ride will be 90 % rode it sounds like you really want a good set up. I too ran spacer and then ICON and I liked them but I just switched to KING and am amazed at the difference. Sure Im biased (as we all are ) but it is another option for you to consider. RH

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
OME = awesome starter, have to choose which type to get, several said they sag after a while, and a lot get these only to upgrade later so thought I should just upgrade now to save money
If you buy the correct spring for the correct amount of weight on your vehicle you won't experience any sagging. I have never seen folks complaining about this that bought the right springs.

You can overload and sag any springs. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
If you buy the correct spring for the correct amount of weight on your vehicle you won't experience any sagging. I have never seen folks complaining about this that bought the right springs.

You can overload and sag any springs. :cheers:
Layton speaks the truth.

Also, many people do not realize that springs are a wear item - they do get softer with age the more you flex them. Good coil springs will last a long time, but if you keep your truck long enough even the best springs will need to be replaced eventually. The harder you use them, the sooner you will have to eventually replace them.

For the original discussion, what constitutes the "best" ride is very subjective to the individual. If best means you don't want to feel any bumps, then stay with stock. If best means you want firmer cornering and less nose dive on braking, then any of the replacement coils will be a vast improvement over stock. If best means carrying more weight (in heavy accessories and/or payload) then new coils with a much higher spring rate will be "best". If best means wringing out the most suspension flex for difficult wheeling, then you would pursue one of the long-travel options. In short, you need to know what you want to do with your truck (how you want to use it) before you can answer the question of which lift is "best".

Having said that, IMO a good aftermarket coilover system will give you a good compromise in most of these areas; firmer highway ride, more weight-carrying capacity, and lift to allow larger tires for wheeling. FWIW I have installed a lot of suspensions on FJC's and have run both OME and Icon on my own, and my general observations are thus: Don't bother with spacer lifts; save your money until you can afford a real spring lift. OME is still the best improvement for the money, they're very good value. Personally I would not install another ProComp lift on anyone's truck. Any of the upper-end coilover systems are worth doing if you can afford them, and are an improvement over even OME. I've been very happy with the Icon stage 1 on my own truck, but if I were doing it all over again I would go with Sway-A-Way without a second thought. Of everything I've ever installed on any FJC, the SAW was the highest-quality manufacturing and design, and the best fit and finish, for a regular coilover system. The various long-travel setups are in a different league of their own, but for anything less the SAW would be my first choice. My opinions only; YMMV.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts