Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 fj and would like to replace my stock exhaust and CAI. I have looked at some posts but none seem to have answered my question.

It seems you cannot get the 2010 TRD parts. So I would like to know, in your opinions, which is the best exhaust and CAI you can put on that will increase your power/performance?

Also, is it worth chipping or "re-programming" your fj? Thanks for your thoughts! :cheers:

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Opinions vary, but many folks use aFe CAI's and exhaust. I have a TRD exhaust on my '08 TT that came stock and works fine for me. Just ordered an aFe CAI ProDry S/ 5R Kit. Hate to lose the Cyclone pre-filter, though. Actually does catch quite a bit of dust.

Also, there is clear evidence that TRD has simply rebranded a aFe CAI for their own use --

That being said, any engine can typically stand to breathe a little better. But whether that in itself translates to increased performance is another thing. Generally, one would need to accompany it with a tune as well to see any remarkable increases.

But folks swear they feel it in the seat of their pants --

I don't care to opt for a supercharger, so I'm thinking this CAI and a Unichip might be worth investigating. Certainly can't hurt.

Keep in mind a few CAI's on the market are actually just open-cased hot-boxes that aren't really bringing in externally cooled air. Technically, unless the filter is outside of the engine bay it's not really doing that anyway.

On the flip side, you could choose to not install a CAI (or Unichip) and the FJ still has great performance -- so long as she isn't weighed down too heavily.

CAI's tend to create a little noise as well, which may or may not be to your liking.

My only experience with this all was on an '05 Subaru STI that had an exhaust, CAI, and COBB tune -- effectively, just like the Unichip. And that produced a night and day difference, both performance and economy-wise.

I don't expect that with the FJ, but any little improvement is good.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Opinions vary, but many folks use aFe CAI's and exhaust. I have a TRD exhaust on my '08 TT that came stock and works fine for me. Just ordered an aFe CAI ProDry S/ 5R Kit. Hate to lose the Cyclone pre-filter, though. Actually does catch quite a bit of dust.

Also, there is clear evidence that TRD has simply rebranded a aFe CAI for their own use --

That being said, any engine can typically stand to breathe a little better. But whether that in itself translates to increased performance is another thing. Generally, one would need to accompany it with a tune as well to see any remarkable increases.

But folks swear they feel it in the seat of their pants --

I don't care to opt for a supercharger, so I'm thinking this CAI and a Unichip might be worth investigating. Certainly can't hurt.

Keep in mind a few CAI's on the market are actually just open-cased hot-boxes that aren't really bringing in externally cooled air. Technically, unless the filter is outside of the engine bay it's not really doing that anyway.

On the flip side, you could choose to not install a CAI (or Unichip) and the FJ still has great performance -- so long as she isn't weighed down too heavily.

CAI's tend to create a little noise as well, which may or may not be to your liking.

My only experience with this all was on an '05 Subaru STI that had an exhaust, CAI, and COBB tune -- effectively, just like the Unichip. And that produced a night and day difference, both performance and economy-wise.

I don't expect that with the FJ, but any little improvement is good.
x2 good advice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a 2010 fj and would like to replace my stock exhaust and CAI. I have looked at some posts but none seem to have answered my question.

It seems you cannot get the 2010 TRD parts. So I would like to know, in your opinions, which is the best exhaust and CAI you can put on that will increase your power/performance?

Also, is it worth chipping or "re-programming" your fj? Thanks for your thoughts! :cheers:
The 07-09 TRD exhaust is available and will fit your 2010. The CAI im told by Toyota will be available in June. Just in case you did want to wait. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
x3 on what RockWeasel said I just purchased a aFe CAI ProDry S/ 5R Kit as well.. Really didn't like the look of the new TRD. You can get it for $330 from FJFLOW (Oscar) just PM him.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am humbly admitting that I don't know anything about intakes... but I do know about exhausts. My advice, find a good muffler shop that can fab you a custom system. Cut out the 2 rear cats, and high tuck it all the way back. Just make sure the shop has a mandrel bender.

That process, in my experience, is WAY cheaper than ordering a produced kit and you can plug and play any muffler you want.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I am happy with the aFe... really sounds good when you get on it. Hoping for a little MPG increase as well.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I really like the noise coming from my JBA exhaust and have had several compliments on it. I squished it a little bit last spring in Moab and knocked it off a hanger and it has been rattling ever since (annoying). Pretty soon here I am going to order some JBA headers/URD y-pipe and tuck the exhuast while keeping the JBA muffler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts