Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I an in the market for sliders and trying to get the best for the least money. But my wife needs steps to get in, and won't let me get rid of my running boards until I find sliders she can use to get in. I'm lost, should I get used oem sliders and get the step assists that bolt on or another brand. I have read the comparison post and want to know what will give me my biggest bang for my buck. What sliders are trail worthy? I do need solid protection with the ability for my wife to use as a step, please help.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've never heard of anyone beating up their sliders beyond usability, so I'd guess that the cheapest one would work for you.

I like the Metal Tech's but they are not the cheapest. Some prefer the kind with a kickout near the rear, but depending on where you wheel, sometimes that can get in the way. I think the Trail Gear sliders or Demello standard sliders are going to protect you fairly well in any situation. The ExpOne sliders provide a bit more of a step than the MT's, but I like the clean, low profile of the MT's better and it's enough of a step for me and my passengers.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've seen the Trail Gear ones on the rocks and the held up pretty good. I think for the money that are a safe bet. Demello makes a good slider, but I haven't seen those in person yet.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I was lucky enough to win an unfinished set of Metal Tech step sliders at the summit.

Although they're pricey if buying them outright, they're definitely beefy! I'll be spending this Saturday cleaning, painting, and installing them.

The only advice I can offer is that when it comes to sliders, cheapest is not always the route you want to go, especially when it comes to armor and protection (the sliders are the only thing protecting your body in that area). Plus, you want sliders that will support the weight of the FJ, in case you happen to hang on an unexpected obstacle. Strong is good, but cheap does not necessarily equate with strength...

Even if I wouldn't have won the Metal Techs in the raffle, they were right at the top of my slider list, due to the heavy duty construction, but also because it has a step-top; to make it functional for entry and exit, as well as skids. Plus, there are no holes to hang your toes or heels in (the surface is one long smooth panel).

·
Registered
938 Posts
Trail Gear.

However, Since you're in FL you might try to find a vendor of TG or other brands on that coast or local pick up. Shipping might put you over the top on price. Get a quote from TG and start shopping!

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the Metal-Tech sliders and using a simple L-bracket, I added the OEM step assist for the wife.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Trail Gear.
I've never heard of anyone beating up their sliders beyond usability, so I'd guess that the cheapest one would work for you.
Maybe not in an FJ, but many others have. I wouldn't want to bet my vehicle on the cheapest possible solution.

I've seen the Trail Gear ones on the rocks and the held up pretty good. I think for the money that are a safe bet. Demello makes a good slider, but I haven't seen those in person yet.
What rocks have you seen them on? On mild rocks in Ouray I saw a pair cave in.

Okay, the question was "Best" for the least money. That really doesn't belong. Trail-gear's are the cheapest, but they are far from the best. Sliders can mean the difference between making it through / over an obstacle and having that obstacle hit your doors / body / fall on expensive stuff underneath. So why do you suggest the absolute cheapest solution? Spending a couple hundred more might save you many hundreds down the line. Buy a slider made in the U.S., made with DOM tubing, and will support the weight of the vehicle. Trail-gear doesn't pass any of those tests.

I know I may sound harsh, but someone has to be the dissenting voice when all of the first replies suggested the same company.

** The opinion above is mine, and mine only, and might not reflect the opinion of this forum or its parent company **

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
We have a new distributor on the east coast which will save you shipping. KLM performance. They have both our Hybrid sliders in stock and our round tube sliders. Our prices are right there with everyone else. They can both be used as a step.

Here are pictures of each

Round tube

Hybrids

·
Registered
938 Posts
Maybe not in an FJ, but many others have. I wouldn't want to bet my vehicle on the cheapest possible solution.

Okay, the question was "Best" for the least money. That really doesn't belong. Trail-gear's are the cheapest, but they are far from the best. Sliders can mean the difference between making it through / over an obstacle and having that obstacle hit your doors / body / fall on expensive stuff underneath. So why do you suggest the absolute cheapest solution? Spending a couple hundred more might save you many hundreds down the line. Buy a slider made in the U.S., made with DOM tubing, and will support the weight of the vehicle. Trail-gear doesn't pass any of those tests.

I know I may sound harsh, but someone has to be the dissenting voice when all of the first replies suggested the same company.
Ok, not getting in a pissing match over this, but Trail Gear sliders are manufactured 35 miles north of me in Fresno, Ca.

They are less expensive because they manufacture in bulk. In the US.

They are Made of Quality thick walled material.

I can't image mine caving in. I support the weight of one side of the vehicle on these things ALL the time. I use them for jacking points all the time with out deflection.

Please post pictures of the Sliders that "caved in" to substantiate your claims.

I am not affiliated with TG, but they make a solid product.

Quote from their site: Sliders are made from 1 3/4" X .120" wall tubing. Sliders are 58" in length. Includes 4 legs on each slider with super beefy gussets on each leg. Fits all 2006-2008 FJ Cruisers. Black powder coated finish.

All for 299 bucks? Deal.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Trail Gear.

However, Since you're in FL you might try to find a vendor of TG or other brands on that coast or local pick up. Shipping might put you over the top on price. Get a quote from TG and start shopping!
We have a new distributor on the east coast which will save you shipping. KLM performance.
NICE! There you go. TG is nice, but Demello Sliders are the way to go if you can get em.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Trail Gears works well for me. It's affordable and great as steps. I have 2 little ones and they loved it when I first got them installed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought and installed a used set of Trail Gear sliders earlier in the week, and my thoughts about their construction echo DocME's. These rails seem plenty beefy, and mine came scuffed enough to show that they had been put to the test once or twice. I think they make a pretty decent step too, especially with a bit of grip tape to keep your foot from slipping off.

·
Registered
686 Posts

I thought of another one - maybe Bud Builts might fit your bill.

I have no affiliation at all with Trail Gear :lol:. I've seen rigs at Rausch Creek going over boulders hitting the TG sliders solidly and they held up pretty well. I think for the money they are not bad. There will always be that question of $$$$ and quality you get for...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
not a direct answer to your question, but I built my own sliders from 1 1/2" .188 wall (3/16) and they have stood up well. They have supported the weight of the vehicle on several occasions and suffered only paint damage.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts