Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best snow tires & sizes for factory 16" rims and 17" rims? We are using this to drive alot of highway miles between ski areas on top of wanting great grip on snow and ice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just put some Michelin LTX MS/2's on the FJ and they were a great snow/rain improvement over the old BFG AT's I had.

They are definitely an all season tire though and not for heavy offroad use.

If you do go offroading, I would suggest the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my first set of Nokian Hakk's for Prius. Its still too warm here for ice or snow. Worried that since there directional tread pattern I won't be able to rotate to other side of car. So I can't stretch milage use of tire. They look like they are at home in the snow.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. Love them... do very well in deep and crusted over (packed) snow.

A slightly old snap, before my lift...

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
just put goodyear wrangler silent armor tires on my fj, but no snow yet. some tuesday but only 2 inches, heck my echo could drive thru that !!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUVs sitting in the garage awaiting a forecast of more than an inch or two of snow; for most snowfalls my Michelin LTX A/T2s work magnificently, but I wanted something I could trust for black ice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is the tread ware with the Hak's on our SUV? Hakk's designed as a rally tire for rally cars.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I just got the wrangler silient armor tires, tread look aggressive. Thought i would get to try them out last night but snow hit 50 miles north of Indianapols :( maybe next time

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I am running "Nitto Terra Grappler AT's" and drove them to Valdez, Alaska in snow conditions that laugh at other places. They were awesome! On another note, I ran Pirelli Scorpion ATR's before these and could not believe how awesome they were in snow. Plus, my daily mpg's with the Scorpions was 2 more per gallon than the Nittos.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
4 studded Firestone Winterforce for around $600. Use the money you saved over them fancy furrin tires to stay slope side :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Around here, they literally shut down schools for a couple of days if we get 2" of snow...:lol:
Yeah I bet, my daughter is married to a marine and is living in jacksonville nc and she laughs at how they act when even 1 inch of snow. They close down !! of course since i just got the fj i am sure indianapolis will have no snow this year except around super bowl time we will get dump on !!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I have the goodyear silient armor tires and they seem to have nice tread, but yet to try them in snow or mud

·
Registered
435 Posts
Around here, they literally shut down schools for a couple of days if we get 2" of snow...:lol:
They shut down schools around here too. One time when I was a kid, it snowed so much during the day that we couldn't get home. We had to sleep overnight at the school.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I tried running my first winter in 06 with the Cruiser on new Yokohama AT-s and it was terrible. Once the temp got down to -10C, they got hard and lost grip. The electrical nannines would kick in and you were in for a scare. It was 4X4 for most of the winter. The following winter I got 4 Hakka SUV 5's mounted on steelies. They are incredible. Now I only use 4X4 in storms. The electrical nannies almost never kick in. When they do they are so much more effective. It's like they need a certain amount of traction to do their thing. My only other experience with snow tires were Blizzaks on a full-size chev 350 4X4 with a manual tranny and I thought they were pretty good and wore well. But the Hakka's are much better if the studs on pavement don't bother you too much. As for wear of the Hakka's, I don't drive that much in winter, but after 4 winters I can still see the 8mm wear indicater molded in the tread. I suspect I have over 20k km's on them and suspect I will get another 3 winters easily if the rubber doesn't rot. Still have all the studs. My nephew got me to buy these. He drives a Subaru Impreza and swore by them. He gets about 70k km on a set. The cruiser with bigger tires should get even more. I'll never drive another winter tire.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts