Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I always drive in 4x4 mode. :lol:

(I've got an MT, it's a joke, you see…)

Love my Hakk 5 SUVs on steelies so far, though…

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I also vote for the factory studded Nokian Hakk 5 SUV. I just posted an update this is the third winter on those tires. I will never run another tire, especially an off road or "all season" tire, in real winter conditions

On glare ice, these tires will save your life

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I bought the Goodyear wrangler silent armor tires that have some high rating for snow like in Canada but so far not enough snow in indianapolis yet to test them

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
My second winter with my Nokian Hakka`s SUV5 ( 275/70 R16 ), lov'em especially on small town street corners or those slithering roads to ski centers,
take care , Sailor

·
Registered
1 Posts
anybody used the michelin LTX M/S2? how is it on the winter because thats what i have now.
Well, this thread is a little dusty, but I thought I'd chime in, as I'm currently doing some winter tire homework myself for our 2007 FJ.

My wife ran the LTX M/S2 last winter (2012-2013) here in the Salt Lake Valley in Utah, and it performed well for what it is, an all-season tire. One time, she told me she encountered some ice in a parking lot. She said she was in 4-wheel drive but was covering more distance sliding sideways than she was moving forward. I decided at that point that we'd run a dedicated winter tire the following winter to help reduce the severity of - and maybe even prevent altogether - some of these situations. That was our first winter with the FJ, and I, too, was curious to see how the M/S2s would perform.

If it hasn't been mentioned here already, it's important to remember that all-season tires become less effective below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm sure that some all-season tires are better than others below these temps, but a winter-tire will generally perform better in all winter-like and cold conditions, simply due to the softer, more pliable compounds. Utah stays cold during the winter, so a softer compound is confidence-inspiring, even when the roads are completely dry.

That said, I've currently got my eye on either the Bridgestone Blizzak W965s or the General Altimax Arctics in 265/75R16 sizing. Not sure if we'll go with LT ratings or not yet.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I recently bout Michelin A/T 2's, an aggressive tire that is rated pretty highly for snow and ice. I got a recommendation from a guy that runs a plowing business to get the Goodyear Silent Armor's - almost bought them but didn't. He swore they were great in snow. You never know where I live if you will have a snowy Winter or none at all. Occasionally we get blasted with 30 inches, more common to get 6 to 9 with a Nor'easter blowing 50 to 70 with drifts to several feet. Frankly, I can't wait to test out the FJ after a bad storm. Still months away, usually...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another one to consider is the Cooper Discoverer M + S. I had two on the back in a 2wd Ford Ranger when I was in college, and they made a world of difference. I just put four on my Expedition, as it came with some "no-seasons" on it. First snow came today and they worked great, but I want to see how they do in some nastier stuff before forming a final opinion. Before I traded the FJ I had Pirelli Scorpion ATR's that went really well in the snow, but they were not a dedicated snow tire.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Many tires will perform ok - good in SNOW conditions, the difference is when on hard compact surfaces or ice, this is where the true snow /ice radial tire, the one's with the Mountain, snow flake make a difference and it is a big difference... all tires in this class are good, our company runs approx. 150 SUV's I have used the Haks and found them to be excellent traction and much better wear than the Blizzac's on some of the other su's in the company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another one to consider is the Cooper Discoverer M + S. I had two on the back in a 2wd Ford Ranger when I was in college, and they made a world of difference. I just put four on my Expedition, as it came with some "no-seasons" on it. First snow came today and they worked great, but I want to see how they do in some nastier stuff before forming a final opinion. Before I traded the FJ I had Pirelli Scorpion ATR's that went really well in the snow, but they were not a dedicated snow tire.
I too likes the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in the snow. They wore out VERY fast for me.

I have been through three sets, and I drive from Los Angeles to the Sierra Nevada to ski most weekends.

BFG AT'S- Terrible in packed snow.
SCORPION- Good in the snow, wore out fast.
COOPER DISCOVERER AT - Decent in snow, more hwy noise than scorpions.

Anyone have any reccs of snow capable tires that still have a semi aggressive tread?
I know the beefiest treads cake up

·
Admin
6,902 Posts
^ those aren't snow tires

Having a M+S snowflake symbol doesn't mean they are snow tires.... that just means they aren't AS horrible in winter as the ones without the rating.

True snow tires are only to be driven in cold temps.... such as Blizzaks, Nokian Hakkapeliitta, etc...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,918 Posts
I’m really surprised Michelin X-Ice haven’t been mentioned. They consistently get top ratings and even beat both Blizzaks and Hakkas in some articles. So far mine have been outstanding in the worst of the worst of VT (glaze ice), are relatively quiet and wearing well. Got them in 265/70/17. Highly recommend 👍

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Skip the Blizzaks, after ~10k mi their performance drops to that of a marginal all season tire. There is a reason all the ice racers sell them after a weekend or two of racing.

·
Admin
6,902 Posts
I’m really surprised Michelin X-Ice haven’t been mentioned. They consistently get top ratings and even beat both Blizzaks and Hakkas in some articles. So far mine have been outstanding in the worst of the worst of VT (glaze ice), are relatively quiet and wearing well. Got them in 265/70/17. Highly recommend 👍
Agreed... we have them on our Corolla and they work fine.
(I just didn't want to list all the various snow tires, lol)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
x2 Michelin X-Ice, "studless" snow tires. They ride great, low noise, top rated traction in side x side tests and last a long time too (as long as they are only used in <40~50F temps).
Got them on my FWD Camry (never been stuck, after 20 years of using several generations of them in deeeeeeep snow) and my 4WD MT FJ.

Biggest concern, when you fit really good gripping snow tires, is being hit by some dumb*ss in summer tires, or "all season" (= normal) tires.

:D

·
Admin
6,902 Posts
x2 Michelin X-Ice, "studless" snow tires. They ride great, low noise, top rated traction in side x side tests and last a long time too (as long as they are only used in <40~50F temps).
Got them on my FWD Camry (never been stuck, after 20 years of using several generations of them in deeeeeeep snow) and my 4WD MT FJ.

Biggest concern, when you fit really good gripping snow tires, is being hit by some dumb*ss in summer tires, or "all season" (= normal) tires.

:D
I'm always looking behind me as I approach intersections... and I'm sporting duratracs on the FJ even!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm always looking behind me as I approach intersections... and I'm sporting duratracs on the FJ even!
I can second that! Dad was in a brand new Camaro and a trucker had a medical emergency and blew the light. Luckily he was paying attention and ran the red. Avoided a serious accident. Trucker was okay

21 - 37 of 37 Posts