Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an FJ and need to put new tires on it. I am moving to Denver from SC in a few weeks. I was reading reddit and most people say you really want dedicated winter tires out there. Saw people say they tried KO2s and it didn't go well in the winter weather. People were raving about duratrac tho and saying they work great in snow and ice and that the RWD police cruisers out there use those. I'd love to throw some duratracs on the FJ and not have to buy a second set.

What do you all think? Should I buy the dura tracs and try year round? Or should I get something different and spend on the dedicated winter tires when I get out there? Or another recommendation?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Any decent M+S rated AT tire will do but some do better in snow compared to others depending on the compound. The Yokohama Geolandar GO15 does quite good in snow as does Toyo RT.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like my 255/80/17 falken wildpeaks

Dedicated snow tires will smoke ATs or any other tire. Now if you use chains or studded tires in conjunction you'll be a rolling tank in snow. I've found that just having a good AT with the snowflake is enough with 4wd to play around in the mountains. Yet to get stuck with cooper AT3s and my Wildpeaks.

Tire size also makes a big difference. A skinny tire will cut through the snow a wide tire will float like snow shoes and can cause you to slide.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you'll be just fine with Duratracs for Denver...and drives up to the mountains for skiing or whatever else you want to do (assuming it is a 4WD FJ).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the party but for what it's worth I did the KO2 in the warm months and dedicated snow/ice for winter when I lived in Denver. The KO2s get the job done in general but they don't really like when it's wet and slick. Like Patriot said the dedicated snow rubber always absolutely smoked regular A/Ts and my FJ was like a snowmobile when I had them on. With 2 sets you'll likely get extended wear on the main set which is nice. Snow tires can usually be found pretty cheap as well so getting them isn't as bad as the main set.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have the Faulken Wildpeaks AT3 285/75/16. They do very well in the snow ( deep snow ) I live on a very steep street and I can get up it without chains. I need new tires also but not done saving up yet so I have actually had to chain up a couple times this year just because the tires are really worn out. New tires go through snow easily :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had great experience with KO2's this year. Just got them put on in November and haven't had a scary moment yet. good luck with your search!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts