Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may someday build a box with drawers for the rear of the FJ to hold all the stuff one needs for going off-road, but what do most people use for weekend trips that can be unloaded easily, yet still hold all the stuff one needs?

It needs to be secure. The Hi-Lift and shovel are on the rack with Fourtrek mounts, but all the Hi-Lift parts, fire extinguisher, toolbox, Viair compressor, ARB straps, etc. need somewhere to live. I was actually thinking about just using a Rubbermaid container, sit it on top of the X-Jack and strap it in with ratchet tie-downs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use a regular rubbermaid storage box. It's pretty durable, and you can use the tie downs in the back to keep the tub in place.

It's easy to get in and out, and easy to secure.

I learned the hard way when I had some items bounce around in the back, spilling everywhere. It wasn't fun to say the least :)

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I use 500lb rated tie downs to secure my gears. Run the line through the 4 loops on the cargo floor and cinch it down. If I have a lot of loose items, then I put a piece of blanket over all of it and cinch it down. Easy to release and retighten.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Heavy duty duffel bags work great and can easily be cinched down with adjustable tie downs.

Separate bags:

Recovery gear bag
Ditch bag
First aid bag
Tool bag
Gear oil, motor oil, CV axle, hose clamps, etc. go in a water proof extra heavy duty bag.

I rolled multiple times with this gear set up and nothing came loose and no injuries were had to my passengers.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Rubbermaid type of containers and just bungee cords. Been over some hairy bumps and mini jumps with no problems. Very easy to remove to get to the goods.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I used an old cooler. Bolted my Powertank on top, put recovery gear an tools inside. Strapped it down to factory tie downs.
Any ice? :lol:

Kidding aside, not a bad idea!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have a Tuffy Box....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use 500lb rated tie downs to secure my gears. Run the line through the 4 loops on the cargo floor and cinch it down. If I have a lot of loose items, then I put a piece of blanket over all of it and cinch it down. Easy to release and retighten.
Pics please.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
awilson529 said:
Pics please.
My cargo area is pretty empty right now. The idea is to run a tie down through the loops. From front to back, and up, over and back the the front ratchet. One for the driver side and one for the passenger side. So you have 2 tie downs parallel. My bags are kind of large so the 2 tie downs are usually enough. If I have some smaller bags, I then put a heavy blanket over the top and then both straps will cinch down on the blanket. Does that make sense? If you can't see it, I'll put some stuff in it and take a pic.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I picked this up from doc at the Summit and sure cleaned things up, now I just keep all recovery equipment in one schwag bag (so it could be easily grabed in case back door isn't accessable), heavy tools in another bag, and spare and misc. parts in another;

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Just use some good ratchet straps and the rear tie downs. This is what i use. I put everything on one side and then ratchet it down with a very strong strap. This way my dog can still get in and out on the other side.

Does anyone know of a load rating for the tie down points in the rear???

·
Registered
639 Posts
Never gave much thought to the idea, but it sure does look like you save a lot of room getting all your tool gear on the back door. I know I carry a lot of stuff. It takes 1/4 of my storage space, and the dog has to still fit... I guess I use most of my stuff to help out other people (lots of stuff I never need). I think I am going to have to rethink the rack system...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Never gave much thought to the idea, but it sure does look like you save a lot of room getting all your tool gear on the back door. I know I carry a lot of stuff. It takes 1/4 of my storage space, and the dog has to still fit... I guess I use most of my stuff to help out other people (lots of stuff I never need). I think I am going to have to rethink the rack system...
Personally, I rather keep the weight off the door. Even with a bigger spare, you can feel the door sag. On the trail items are going to bounce and it adds to the stress on the door. In addition, putting it on the door, you're adding weight where it's not low or central. Maybe it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but I'm conservative...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Personally, I rather keep the weight off the door. Even with a bigger spare, you can feel the door sag. On the trail items are going to bounce and it adds to the stress on the door. In addition, putting it on the door, you're adding weight where it's not low or central. Maybe it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but I'm conservative...
If you are going to use a rear door storage, make sure you put the heavy items closest to the hinge part of the door to reduce the torque on the hinges. But, if you have an oversized spare, i wouldn't put much more than 20-30lbs of gear on the door. When i had two bikes mounted to the spare (stock sized) i had to lift up on the door to get it to close.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I use two large rubbermaid cargo boxes and ratchet straps. No problems. Like Layonn and others have mentioned, keep the heavy stuff off the door or you hinges may suffer!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use a rubbermaid cargo box and a small bednet to hold it down. It works great in the back of the FJC and on the roof rack.

I can't recall where I got it from but I only paid about $30 for it shipped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts