Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2011 FJ over the weekend with the Dunlop Grandtrek AT20s installed. Would like to replace these with some decent all terrain tires ASAP (Nitto Terra Grapplers perhaps, though I liked the General Grabber AT2s on my Land Rover).

Any suggestions on the best way to sell or trade my stock tires? They're obviously on the vehicle currently. They have about 90 miles on them, so they're essentially brand new. I bought the showroom FJ, so they've even been inside rather than out on the lot.

Don't know if any of the major chains offer ok prices for trade ins or if they do that at all? Any idea of a fair price on Craigslist? I think the go for about $160/each new--is that right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
They seem to be hard to sell here. Most are looking to beef up. However local classifieds seem to work quite well. We have one called KSL.com and a good set of tires at a fair price just won't last on there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any suggestions on the best way to sell or trade my stock tires? They're obviously on the vehicle currently. They have about 90 miles on them, so they're essentially brand new. I bought the showroom FJ, so they've even been inside rather than out on the lot.

Don't know if any of the major chains offer ok prices for trade ins or if they do that at all? Any idea of a fair price on Craigslist? I think the go for about $160/each new--is that right?

I sold a set of 4 on Craigslist in a couple of hours with several people as backup. Mine were $600 for the set new at Discount tire (price comparison). Sold way too easily at $325. Probably could have easily gotten more but it was nice to get rid of them without much effort. Make the buyer bring cash.

·
Registered
150 Posts
sold mine on craigslist. they had many more miles than yours but sold quickly. they are a good street tire just not what most folks on here are looking for.

congrats on the new ride:cheers:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They seem to be hard to sell here. Most are looking to beef up. However local classifieds seem to work quite well. We have one called KSL.com and a good set of tires at a fair price just won't last on there.
Ahhh, good old KSL! I sold mine for $350, w/ 5K miles. Find a local paper that has online ads and post there. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
717 Posts
when I bought my FJ, I went from the dealer to discount tires they took a small trade.
Craigslist might be a better way to go but I didn't want to wait.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i sold mine for 350 to some local guy... jsut put them as new tires and include the waranty that the dealership gave you and they will bite...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will buy them if you want to ship to CO? Shipping on tirerack is about $85 for 4 tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SVT2FJ:

What price? I listed them at $500 on Craigslist for all 5, assuming that I would leave some room to negotiate.

I'd rather sell locally, as I have no idea how to ship a set of 5 tires, but let me know if you have some thoughts on this.

Andrew

·
Registered
147 Posts
SVT2FJ:

What price? I listed them at $500 on Craigslist for all 5, assuming that I would leave some room to negotiate.

I'd rather sell locally, as I have no idea how to ship a set of 5 tires, but let me know if you have some thoughts on this.

Andrew
Most people won't want 5. Offer a price for 4 tires and an option for the 5th and make a second ad for a single tire. I'd make is just slightly under $100/tire. Take a couple of pictures, including the tread and sidewall showing size. Worked easily for me this way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I placed my ads on FJ forum and Craigslist. Mine had about 50 miles on them. Sold them for $50 cash for each tire via Craigslist.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would have to say Craigslist is the fastest and easiest way to sell those tires

·
Registered
183 Posts
Craigslist for sure. I posted mine after 60k for $450 and tried to reach the older gen Tacos and 4R's type of people. A 5th Gen 4Runner took them for winter wheels.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Big O 'bought' mine as I bought my others from them after buying the truck. So, more of a trade-in I guess. I don't remember the details, but they offered me about 85% of retail, so I thought that was a good deal considering the tires had 500 miles on them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big O 'bought' mine as I bought my others from them after buying the truck. So, more of a trade-in I guess. I don't remember the details, but they offered me about 85% of retail, so I thought that was a good deal considering the tires had 500 miles on them.
Wow, you got a good price from Big O. I went into the Santa Barbara store two days after buying the car and was offered $50/piece for the tires if I bought new from them. And of course, their new prices were significantly higher than online, so it really wasn't much of a deal.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, you got a good price from Big O. I went into the Santa Barbara store two days after buying the car and was offered $50/piece for the tires if I bought new from them. And of course, their new prices were significantly higher than online, so it really wasn't much of a deal.
Yeah, I def paid more than I would have for 'online' deals, but I was impatient at the time and the deal they offered wasn't bad. It's all in the timing and location, I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts