Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time since I bought a winch...and like the idea of a synthetic rope model. Warn has the 9.0Rc.....What is the current buzz on winches? I have no love of wire rope...do you need to replace the synthetic rope yearly or anything like that?

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
i've been asking for close to a decade if anyone's seen the stock-looking bumper from the SEMA green FJ with a winch for sale anywhere

·
Registered
552 Posts
Air I think according to Toyota that was for show purposes and to get the rugged point across. I'm guessing since Toyota is going to carry the ARB at dealership in the future that's the best for now........but you could get a custom one that looks integrated like the SEMA one, I like that more than the ARB.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sit tight guys warn is supposedly working up a full set of bumpers with winch capability's in both the front and rear

·
Registered
119 Posts
Instead of a winch, or certainly in addition to one, consider a snatch'em strap. Works like a giant rubber band to pull out the (other) stuck vehicle. Fairly useless if you're by yourself, but you shouldn't be doing the really tricky stuff by yourself anyway! Same rules as a winch apply - drape a blanket over the middle to prevent projectiles if it breaks.

And a hi-lift jack. Not sure where on/in the vehicle it would go, but IMO indispensable.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
air said:
yeah, that or just figure out a way to mount a winch to the stock bumper.
I would be a little leary to lean on the stock front bumper dont think a winch will work either

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
justfred said:
Instead of a winch, or certainly in addition to one, consider a snatch'em strap. Works like a giant rubber band to pull out the (other) stuck vehicle. Fairly useless if you're by yourself, but you shouldn't be doing the really tricky stuff by yourself anyway! Same rules as a winch apply - drape a blanket over the middle to prevent projectiles if it breaks.

And a hi-lift jack. Not sure where on/in the vehicle it would go, but IMO indispensable.
Hi-lift on the rack..Hey how close to Torrance are you ? That Blue sema FJ is supposedly sitting at Toyota Corporate down there

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
From those I talk to they really like superwhinches and the blue rope

·
Registered
162 Posts
justfred said:
lol, those snatch'em straps are pretty good, unless the vehicle you are trying to snatch out is soooo high-centered that when the snatch is attempted the snatched jeep doesn't move and the snatching vehicle's rear end is actually lifted up and set down sideways 8 inches in fresh snow. Now both vehicles are stuck and the snatch'em strap is so tight you can actually walk on it like a tightrope. We actually had to cut the strap to get the pulling vehicle unstuck and went back for the jeep the next morning.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
justfred said:

Strap a blanket over the center?? Now that is really smart.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Noisycow said:

Not sure what you mean........but I'll take a stab that the blanket use is the question.

You have a stretch type of strap or rope in use, stretch it out to store the energy in the strap or rope by driving the unstuck truck away from the stuck one. OK. Lots of stored energy, think stretched out rubber band. OK. Now, what is the worse thing that can happen? The strap or rope or what you have it attached to breaks! This is where people and property get damaged. Lets say you attached it a trailer hitch ball and the ball breaks sending this setup back towards the truck that is doing the recovery. Before that missile comes flying back, the rope or strap will go limp and lie on the ground. *If* you have a blanket hanging in the center, this missile will have to accelerate the blanket off the ground, the thinking here is that the missile will fall short of the recovery truck.

Hope that makes sense.

Probably pictures and video out on the web showing the results of improper recovery.

This link may help: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

Scroll down to: "Towing and Yanking vehicles for recovery."

HTH

-Jack

·
Registered
688 Posts
Noisycow said:
Next time you are on a trail, look for a car with a broken windsheild or rear window, usually you can tell which guys just put a tow strap around the ball of a hitch and the ones that use a true tow point and D rings. Ive never seen one break, but ive seen where a buddy of mine had a which cable break and split his windsheild on the recoil. A snatch block and blanket is a hell of a lot cheaper than a windsheild, much less a trip to the hospital.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used the Warn M8000 winch on my Tacoma, along with Synth line from OK Offroad.. The winch may depend on what bumper you get, some will only fit certain styles of winch (the ARB's usualy need the winches with the remote pack, ones like the 9000i won't fit). The M8000 is a great winch at a good price point, and is more than enough for most uses with an FJ. Most people realy don't need a faster or heavier duty winch.

As for the line, I'd use nothing but a synth line. It's 100% safer (no recoil if it breaks) is a pure joy to work with (no sharp barbs) weighs tons less (100 feet I can lift with a finger). I think they should outlaw steel lines, there is not one advantage to them. Yes, over time synth lines can degrade due to sun and wear and tear, but steel lines rust and kink and barb and snap, and cut everything up..

Reactions: jga5573

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Canito is1 said:
Next time you are on a trail, look for a car with a broken windsheild or rear window, usually you can tell which guys just put a tow strap around the ball of a hitch and the ones that use a true tow point and D rings. Ive never seen one break, but ive seen where a buddy of mine had a which cable break and split his windsheild on the recoil. A snatch block and blanket is a hell of a lot cheaper than a windsheild, much less a trip to the hospital.
I didn't mean - 'that is really smart' in my usual sarcastic tone - I meant it!! LOL Geez. Watched a video of that done.

Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyone use one of these? I've been lookin' around on the Expeditions West web site and I like the idea of the hand winch. I don't get crazy off road often...but would like to have the added convenience of not using my Hi-Lift as a winch...that just sucks. I don't want to drag a full-on electric winch around all the time either. I like versatility and light weight whenever possible.
I've used many hand winches and/or "come-a-longs"

I still carry them , but hope the H#ll I never use them again... you cant decide where and when you get stuck... and if your carrying any form of winch that means you plan on getting stuck.... the last time I Accidentally got stuck it was on a quarter mile hill in the rain ...had no choice but to hand crank myself out...... my arms nearly fell off.... and i swore i would never get in that situation again ...thus one of my first and best mods was my beloved winch

Ok...just a question. I know a front mount billion dollar winch on a billion dollar bumper would be sweet (trying to be funny).

Why not a smaller reasonable priced winch on some type of tow hitch adapter etc....? The chances of needed front vs. rear approach is pure 50/50 so why not and what would you do? Or suggest? Go easy!

I know I will not drive around with it but hook it up when needed a.k.a. sits in the back with no bling factor.

Scott
Here are the rest of the pics in progress and then the

finished product.

The pics of the side plate is a little funky i know but its what i came up with so that it could be diassembled there is tricky place around the bumper connector bolts that limits how thick of a plate can go in there... as well as where they connect the flange could obstruct it from coming off so i had to add te small piece of bot on plate to help with pivot stress...

there are a couple of dark ones, which are of the placement of the quick connect on rear and front and a quickie of the budbuilt skid plate.

I was gonna build the skids but once i got into the planning stage the equiptment needed was cost prohibitive .... i hated to shell it out but i must say they are well built... no budbuilt!... 3/16 is plenty durable ....

Then the bike on backmof the rig is for when im so deep no winch will help.... i ride out of the woods as if I were in shape ...HA!

I hope this was a help and wish evedryones future projects well... this whole site has been a great resource for me... thanks..
how much would this be worth to anyone wanting one made...

i included most of the other post comments for convienence,, i hope that works....

i am using the warn system with a 9500ti winch....
I thought about recessing the receiver as you mentioned... but my view was there's gonna be a hole in the lower grill...no matter the length..so i decided to set it out enough to comfortably access the pin.. I am attempting to get the rest of the pics to everyone . as you can see with the pics i have ,probably 4 inches protude. but it is really negligible, with the way the bumper plastic surrounds it all... what im tring to say is that it looks like less... i popped my toyo, hitch cap in there for a better finished look....... theres little chance that it can be totaly hidden and reasonably functional ... i hope to get those pics soon ... so it can speak for itself...

I ran clear tubing on he passenger side frame rail.... right along side the harness thats there already right to the fire wall... then I pushed my #2 gauge cable through and used maybe 4 ties.. I sprayed the tube with some wd40 slide easier... everyting goes better with a little lube..

I probably over did it but the tubing gave me alittle more security from chaffing and snags...was easy to do, maybe 15-16 ft....then the multi mount winch has its quick connects with covers... and they hide nicely...I also included an in line battery isolater switch, that pokes through the lower grill as well... just turn the key for power to the front and back...

I also reinforced the rear mount with box frame tube ,, diagonally to the frame rails.

all blacked out

As far as departure angles go it wont affect you at all ...if you keep i on the front and if you go to the extent that i did....this is why I put it on top of the bumper...all the commercial one that i had seen were below bumper types... which indeed would compromise angle.

As far as rear angle ....I dont leave it on the rear so this doesnt come into play....
I have been truly amazed when at times my front end is going straight into a ravine it has never bottomed out ... spotters have always said it is so high it never is an issue.

probably the best most useful mod thus far,,, skid being 2nd,,,, then lift and tires.... and just for pure fun the panoramic sunroof.... AHHHHH..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wow!!! Nicely done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts