Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I know it's been discussed, but without reading through all of the threads (I came up with bunches of hits), I have no idea where to look.

We caught a rock on our way to the Summit (from another FJ :mecry:).
Now, I need to get it replaced, but I have questions.

We paid for the special windshield coverage when we bought the FJ. So, there's no problem there. However...

1. Is there any reason to hold off on getting it replaced, or should I just do it ASAP?

2. Does it matter where I get it replaced (I mean, if it doesn't matter to the coverage company)...like, are there specific places or any general guidelines you can point me to to make sure it gets done correctly?

3. Can you point me to another thread where this has already been discussed/explained so as to not rehash the same old thing over again?

Thanks.
steven

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
OK... I'll go way out on a limb here and probably against the grain. When it's time to replace mine, here's what I intend to do... Cheers.. Ron

Poll the members her for the best Toyota dealership in my 3-5 state area.

Take it to the service manager and explain that I know all about the problematic FJ replacements and show him the condition of my FJ.

Take photos of the condition of my FJ and let the SC know that I have them.

Let them handle it, file an insurance claim, water teat and check the fit and finish...

PS: I'll wait until I just can't stand looking at it any longer............

Hi guys.
I know it's been discussed, but without reading through all of the threads (I came up with bunches of hits), I have no idea where to look.

We caught a rock on our way to the Summit (from another FJ :mecry:).
Now, I need to get it replaced, but I have questions.

We paid for the special windshield coverage when we bought the FJ. So, there's no problem there. However...

1. Is there any reason to hold off on getting it replaced, or should I just do it ASAP?

2. Does it matter where I get it replaced (I mean, if it doesn't matter to the coverage company)...like, are there specific places or any general guidelines you can point me to to make sure it gets done correctly?

3. Can you point me to another thread where this has already been discussed/explained so as to not rehash the same old thing over again?

Thanks.
steven

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... I'll go way out on a limb here and probably against the grain. When it's time to replace mine, here's what I intend to do... Cheers.. Ron

Poll the members her for the best Toyota dealership in my 3-5 state area.

Take it to the service manager and explain that I know all about the problematic FJ replacements and show him the condition of my FJ.

Take photos of the condition of my FJ and let the SC know that I have them.

Let them handle it, file an insurance claim, water teat and check the fit and finish...

PS: I'll wait until I just can't stand looking at it any longer............
Ok, cool.
Thanks for the input. This doesn't sound very far out on a limb to me (of course, this is completely new to me, so it may be ;)).

steven

p.s. Where'd you get your 'SS valve stem caps'?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
LOL... My first and favorite mod! I have some old "round top" ones that came from Walmart and some hex that I picked up in hiogh school. I've added them to every car I've ever owned (14 new and about that many used). Cheers.. Ron

PS: The reason I said "out on a limb" is that others have access to known "good installers" and usually shy away from the dealerships..

Ok, cool.
Thanks for the input. This doesn't sound very far out on a limb to me (of course, this is completely new to me, so it may be ;)).

steven

p.s. Where'd you get your 'SS valve stem caps'?

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Here's my input. Ask around. I asked in my local section here, as well as on our local NW forum. After getting suggestions, I then talked directly to the installer to gauge exactly how familiar he was with the install. I have had no problems with the work that he did. In fact, when I had to get my second replacement a week after the first, I went right back to the same Safelite location. The second time I was there, there was also a TRD there getting a new windshield installed. (I had my install done in their shop rather than go with a mobile install, which makes me nervous.)

I drive at night for my job, so just dealing with it wasn't as much of an option for me as it may be for you. My first crack was all the way across, gasket to gasket in a defrost pattern. It almost looked like you could pop it out if you really wanted to.:lol: The second rock strike was replaced right away because the rock actually hit the lower gasket and shattered the glass from the gasket up and was showing signs of leaking.

My suggestion is just to do whatever you will be comfortable with. If you feel best using a dealership, go for it. If you're okay with using Safelite or any other glass shop, then do that.:bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jen.
I appreciate the input.

steven

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

Attachments

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a thread around here warning about the dangers of having it replaced by people that don't know what they are doing, lemme see if i can find it

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-your-windshield-must-see-5.html#post1054749

here ya go, watch this video before you get your windshield fixed
Below are a couple of links to some articles on problems with the top molding during windshield replacement:

Tech alert: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser | Glass Magazine

Meddlesome moldings, tough installs | Glass Magazine

I have also attached a pdf file that discusses replacing the FJ windshield.

cheers,

dale
Hey, thanks a bunch, guys.
I will definitely read, listen to and/or watch all of this tonight at home.

steven

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Hey, thanks a bunch, guys.
I will definitely read, listen to and/or watch all of this tonight at home.

steven
Windshield from Hell

I waited over a year and 4 cracks before I had mine replaced. JSL Auto Glass in Reno assured me that would replace the upper molding. They did not. So the first R&R was noisy. The 2nd attempt they replaced the molding and it still made noise!!!:flame:..The 3rd time they R&R the molding and it was still noisy. :flame: The FOURTH FRIGGING time they installed a TOYOTA glass they purchased at Reno Toyota. It's finally quiet.

Oh and to add insult to injury they scratched my paint in 2 places which I got estimates for over $500 bux. GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr\

They paid me but I'll be damned to paint the hood and fender because of a small scratch.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
there was a video that covered a full install from beginning to end by a shop that has done quite a few...cant remember where I saw it but it helped when I watched the guy do my windshield to make sure he knew what he was doing.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
We've had ours replaced by Onsight Auto Glass based out of Denver. They came up to our house and did it within an hour. They did it correctly both times, and replaced the molding up on top both times. Can't go wrong with these guys if you ask me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts