Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since gas went over $3.50 a gallon I slowed down to 65 MPH on the highway. It has worked wonders.

My rig has a 3" lift, sliders, Bud Built skids, air dam and lights and a Hi Lift on the rack. SLowing down to 65 and running the stock street tires when not on an off road trip gets me an average of 21 MPG and that is measured over 6 tanks so far. I have also switched from premium to regular with no noticeable change. I also live in the mountains where every road is curvy and up and down.

I am sure the MPG will drop when I put the bigger heavier KM2s on to go wheeling, but for everyday use I keep the street tires on it. Yeah it looks dorky with the street tires, but better I have more $ in my pocket and look dorky than pay through the nose for fuel. Food for thought, give it a try.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yup
I get more mpg than my old Mustang GT(18/26 rated) just because there is no point in doing full bore take-offs. It's just not a sports car, so why TRY to drive it like one.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I gained 3mpg in the city doing the more conservative driving thing.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I totally agree, At 80 mph I used 3/4 tank to get to point loma from my house at 65 on cruise control I used less than half!! I am a hwy creepin mofo nowadays.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
not as big of a difference as i hoped, kept it at around 65 all weekend and only got 16 mpg, over my normal 12mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
not as big of a difference as i hoped, kept it at around 65 all weekend and only got 16 mpg, over my normal 12mpg.
25% increase isn't a big difference? Wow, you have pretty high expectations. I'm preparing to drive from NC to CA and would LOVE to have a 25% increase in MPG over my 6k miles of driving back and forth...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
12 MPG plus 30% is 16.2 MPG. I dont thing that 30% increase is anything to sneeze at.

Coach, are you going to Coal Creek the weekend of June 7th-8th?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I'm at 23.5 mpg, and I owe it to my hypermilling, which includes driving 65mph,taking off slowly from a complete stop, and using cruise control every chance I get. I'll probably drop down a few mpg's when I add my armor but it will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
25% increase isn't a big difference? Wow, you have pretty high expectations. I'm preparing to drive from NC to CA and would LOVE to have a 25% increase in MPG over my 6k miles of driving back and forth...
Don't get me wrong it was nice, I was just hoping to get up to around 19, with the way I drive normally compared to how I drove all weekend was a night and day difference it wasn't like I slowed down 5-10 miles an hour, I normally shift at 4-4.5k rpm and keep the speeds at 85mph over the weekend I shifted at 2k rpm 2.5k a hand full of times and kept the speed at 65mph, I did hit 70mph a couple times to pass people and merge.

I slowed down 20 mph and cut my shifting point in half, 2-2.5k rpm. that is a big difference. I will keep doing it for a couple weeks and see if it improves any more as the computer relearns my new driving pattern.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'm at 23.5 mpg, and I owe it to my hypermilling, which includes driving 65mph,taking off slowly from a complete stop, and using cruise control every chance I get. I'll probably drop down a few mpg's when I add my armor but it will be worth it.
Wow your getting better milage than stock straight from the factory. Must be nice

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
i am driving real conservatively these days, fully stock, getting 20mpg in the city, 313 on last tank before fillup (didnt run her dry)

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
12 MPG plus 30% is 16.2 MPG. I dont thing that 30% increase is anything to sneeze at.

Coach, are you going to Coal Creek the weekend of June 7th-8th?
It's possible, it all depends on when my Demello rear bumper shows up and/or the Nitro 4.56 gears. Another member of the NC TLCA club is trying to get our rigs shipped to Rubithon and the pic up date may be as early as June 6th. So, a bunch is up in the air at this point. But, if the stars align just right, I might be able to meet up with you guys out there...

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Wow your getting better milage than stock straight from the factory. Must be nice

Actually I found it surprisingly easy. All I do is maintain peddle discpline. I am determine to keep above 20mpg even with armor and lift. Someone has to stick it to the man. :up_to_something:

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I am very lucky too, I have averaged 22.926 mpg over 18K miles, stock. But I live at high alt. and don't do any real city driving. I've even gone over 25 mpg on 6 tankfuls (all h'way to/from Moab). It must be the thin air and my conservative driving technique.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I can feather the peadal all day long at max speeds of 50 but I've never seen steady over 17 I still average 13-14. Freway driving is better at about 16 to 17 tops. Of course there are those downhill with the wind behind me times where I get about 23 coasting.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
It would be nice for those who have posted mpg's to also post whether you have an AT or MT if it is not in your sig. I have always driven with a light foot but I don't expect I'll get =>20 mpg with my MT. I would like to be wrong of course. :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I pull 19MPG going 65 with my gear and my BFG's on. I get about 14 with my swampers on.

I drive with a light foot. I am not trying to impress anyone by stomping on the pedal.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
19-20 mpg with stockers. About 15 with LTBs, but I'm usually wheeling when I have the LTBs. I drive like a granny-all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts