Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey as a fairly newbie to world of FJ's, I bought this vehicle because I thought they were cool as crap since seeing them at an auto show before they were produced in the USA. Loved them for their toughness and go anywhere style. I Didn't buy it for gas mileage and that's a good thing because it Loves fuel. I have seen on YouTube 2 guys that do a modification claiming 25mpg. It insures changing plugs to Denso Iridium (which I used power Iridium) changing air filter to Green (brand name) reusable, and Removing a Screen Filter on opposite side (opposing) of air filter. You have to use a screwdriver to basically Pry screen out and Hocus Pocus you get 25mpg. Anyone ever heard of this?? Is it BS??? I Damn sure don't wanna do something to screw up a good running vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've done 2 of 3. Don't think the air filter would give me 8 MPG. I call BS. I also believe copper plugs are more efficient, just need to replace more often.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Toyota went to incredible efforts to minimize the fuel consumption of the FJ's driveline. the low-viscosity engine oil, the low-viscosity ATF used in auto-trans models, the extremely sophisticated fuel-feedback fuel injection system, the real-time camshaft timing adjustment (VVTi), the ignition advance timing map, the transmission shift programming, etc., etc.

97% of any "improvement" in fuel consumption will be through education of your right foot, and conservative driving habits. One of the fastest and easiest ways to improve YOUR MPG is to install some instrumentation that will display actual real-time fuel consumption. You will instantly see what combinations of throttle opening, transmission gear and engine load will push MPG down into the single digits.

So yes, any "magic" fixes or mods are BS.

Regardless, many FJ owners are able to consistently get 20 or even 22 MPG with conservative driving habits and minimal mods that add weight and increase rolling and aerodynamic resistance.

Add a 6" lift, 35" tires, a roof-top tent, 300 lbs of armor, a 120 lb winch and a second 60lb battery, and you;ll be down in the 15 MPG zone.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Testing these out right now on my single VVTI 07. Many have reported an increase in MPG. Been logging my MPG but have too many mods to show an increase compared to stock vehicles. Acceleration feels much improved. I imagine the newer dual VVTI has a better cam profile to improve daily driving though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's what I don't get about this mod. Why is everyone thinking that retarding the exhaust cam introduces more fresh air into the cylinder charge? From my POV the results being better MPG and somewhat better driveability indicate that in fact this mod successfully replaces EGR valve.

Simply put:
Aircharge = Inert Gas (EGR) + Fresh Air

Increasing the Inert Gas Mass will slow down the burn process, therefore higher spark advance angles can be used, therefore we get torque from the spark efficiency, which is one of the best ways to improve torque.

At the same time we lower the fresh air amount, therefore less fuel is needed - here is the MPG increase, that we see.

This is good for low and midrange rpm and frankly that's where FJ engine usually is. But I can't see how retarding the cam would improve the cylinder scavenging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will start with a good tune and weight reduction. How often am I likely to need two winches (or even one) where I drive and play? Solo mountain outback expeditions are a remote possibility. Deer smash is more pressing a concern, so maybe I’ll replace the front bumper should I fear a grill guard be inadequate.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Xsen -
" ... therefore we get torque from the spark efficiency ..."

Can you explain exactly what this means?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts