Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to purchase new LCA's due to my stock bushings being destroyed, but Im not trying to spend a lot for a set. I do moderate off-roading but also use my FJ for an everyday driver. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Well Total Chaos makes 2 amazing lower control arms for stock replacement but those do indeed break the bank. :lol: being the one who put together the complete lift comparison thread ive seen what is out there and really the LCA options aren't nearly as fast as the UCAs are. Other companies make LCAs but for long travel setups. Total Chaos is the only one that comes to mind with a stock replacement.

I found online these relatively cheap replacements but would I trust them? Nope. Haha

http://www.1aauto.com/control-arm-with-ball-joint-front-pair/i/1asfk01969?f=847973&y=2007&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=SFK&gclid=COCrzMX--8oCFYg-aQodueQJXg

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Well Total Chaos makes 2 amazing lower control arms for stock replacement but those do indeed break the bank. :lol: being the one who put together the complete lift comparison thread ive seen what is out there and really the LCA options aren't nearly as fast as the UCAs are. Other companies make LCAs but for long travel setups. Total Chaos is the only one that comes to mind with a stock replacement.

I found online these relatively cheap replacements but would I trust them? Nope. Haha

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Front Lower Control Arm with Ball Joint Pair at 1A Auto.com
One of my coworkers loves 1A Auto. He swears by it. I have yet to use it...
@yotaj, are you looking for front or rear LCAs? Joe over at Chi Town 4X4 is in the process of making rear LCAs. I was thinking about getting hold of him this spring and seeing if I could get a set. You could try contacting him and see what he says. Contact - Chi-Town 4x4 He is a great guy to work with!

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Her is another front LCA that is a little cheaper than total chaos: Toyota Tacoma Performace Lower Control Arms

If your talking about the rear lower links, there are a bunch of threads out there on those. In fact there are so many brands it hard to keep track of. I like my metaltech.

(Do I need to do a comparison spreadsheet for these too?)

·
Registered
282 Posts
check our califabrication hes got the whole rear link setup for like $800

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Dirt Kings are $1500.

TC's are:
Part # 86500: 07-09 FJ Cruiser, 03-09 4runner
Part # 86500-10FJ: 2010+ 4Runner & FJ Cruiser
Price $1679.59

:surprise

Good luck with your decision. :grin

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Im looking to purchase new LCA's due to my stock bushings being destroyed
I've got a big of a clunk felt through my feet when the suspension suddenly drops, and I'm half tempted to think that it's the front LCA bushings by the frame. What are you hearing/feeling to know that yours have gone bad?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
At the prices they are at, it is almost, go long travel, or just throw in more OEMs. Or RockAuto ones lol. Could buy a bunch of those for the cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im looking to purchase new LCA's due to my stock bushings being destroyed
I've got a big of a clunk felt through my feet when the suspension suddenly drops, and I'm half tempted to think that it's the front LCA bushings by the frame. What are you hearing/feeling to know that yours have gone bad?
I noticed a metallic pop sound every time I reversed and turned at the same time, so I jacked up the truck and inspected the whole front suspension and steering components, finally I noticed the bushings looked a little trashed so I used a crow bar to see if there was any play in them and they definitely shifted when I pryd on them. now with that said I have limited troubleshooting experience when it comes to suspension systems I'm more of an engine guy. Plus my FJ had 140k on it and I'm ready to start upgrading the front end. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the prices they are at, it is almost, go long travel, or just throw in more OEMs. Or RockAuto ones lol. Could buy a bunch of those for the cost.
Yeah I also considered just buying new OEM LCAs and you are right for the price of those I could buy a few sets. I already travel with spare CV axles, so why not right?

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I noticed a metallic pop sound every time I reversed and turned at the same time, so I jacked up the truck and inspected the whole front suspension and steering components, finally I noticed the bushings looked a little trashed so I used a crow bar to see if there was any play in them and they definitely shifted when I pryd on them. now with that said I have limited troubleshooting experience when it comes to suspension systems I'm more of an engine guy. Plus my FJ had 140k on it and I'm ready to start upgrading the front end. Hope this helps!
A prybar is the best thing to find your moving parts that are not supposed to move.

Get ready for a fight to get them off. Might want to order new bolts while your at it. I hear the bolts are usually rusted in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is it not possible to just replace the bushings?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im in the same spot as the OP, an unbearable squeaking from my driver side suspension appeared after off roading through some mud. Mechanic says its the lower control arm... so the general thought is to either get some off brand LCAs or drop major cash for extended travel name brand LCAs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts