Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the first things I did with my FJ was drive to the local tire shop and replace the OEM Duelers with a set of five Michelin LTX AT2s in the stock size of 265/70R17.

However… when I got home I was unable to get the spare tire cover back on.

Looking at the inside of the cover, it's designed to only go on a tire with a rounded shoulder; the Michelins and most other all-terrain tires have squared off shoulders, so the cover will never fit anything that isn't rounded like the Duelers.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler HT 684:

OEM Dunlop Grandtrek:

Michelin LTX AT2 - cover does not fit:

BFG AT - cover likely does not fit:

A bit upsetting as that means I was able to use the factory spare tire cover for exactly one day; Toyota could have easily designed the cover to accommodate both shoulder styles.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket cover that accommodates A/T tires and provides a hole for the rear view camera to see out of?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine fits my 17 BFG AT's, it's a bit snug but works fine.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Depending on where you live, throw some grease on the bottom and go sledding.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Duh...

Okay.. but how long did you work on it? I've actually heard guys say it takes two (strong bare chested) men to get that thing on sometimes.. Maybe you just need to work it in... Try some lubricant!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have stock size BFG A/Ts and it didn't take that much work to get the spare tire cover on. Maybe a little gym time is in order?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do you folks have the rear camera version?

I can get the cover on but the plastic face (the part with the embossed tire tread that has the letters "FJ") won't fit tightly enough to let the camera see through the cutout; the rear camera version has to have the face fit flat against the spare so the entire area between the silver "flap" on the silver plastic cover that bolts onto the face of the spare and the back of the camera housing can see out through the rectangular cutout in the spare tire cover; that's the part that won't go on properly. I can get the vinyl part over the sides of tire fine, just not flat enough to the face of the spare to allow the front face of the cover to sit flat against the silver plastic piece underneath.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ooooh... Well why didn't you say so? I've got the back up camera and mine fits on my 265 BF Goodrich Rugged Trails...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Mine doesn’t fit either with the Yokohama Geolandars in stock size. I tossed it and just painted the silver camera disk black and called it good.

And I even used the suggestions on this thread – and even 2 bare-chested women couldn’t get the cover on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, I got it on… most of the way. But you'll never get it on following Toyota's instructions.

Here's what I did:

1) Fold the vinyl surround all the way back all the way around the cover until it's entirely inverted, that is the forward edge of the plastic panel with the embossed FJ needs to be the frontmost object touching the spare.

2) Press the plastic panel onto the spare tire, being careful to align the rear camera cutout as much as possible. It's important that the embossed panel be as tight up against the silver spare tire cover as possible.

3) Now work your way around folding the vinyl back over the spare tire. This will be difficult but it will eventually stretch.

4) Pull the vinyl tight, as tight as you can.

5) Check your rear view camera image.

With the cover on, I lose the bottom 1/8 or so of the image and the top of the image is curved rather than square, but that still leaves about 90% of the viewing area; I honestly don't know if I could work this to get the cover tighter and still not lose image.

Can anyone with the cover on an OEM spare check and see if your rear image is corner to corner with the cover on, or do you lose some even with the cover on as it comes from the showroom?

Meanwhile, someday when the rear of the FJ sits in the sun all day I'll try pressing on the edges to see if I can get it to go on just that little bit tighter…

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Go here and $20 +shipping later your problem will be solved.

Send your OEM cover back to Fisher-Price and tell them to turn it into something useful . . . or sell it to some sucker to pay for your new cover.

Of course, if you have a camera in there you have another issue.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, 2011 with a camera.

If the camera wasn't there, the "partial" fit would be good enough, the vinyl surround stretches nicely.

It's getting the embossed surface as tight as possible to the plastic cover so that the rear view camera's view is affected as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This post means nothing without pics :rocker:

Mine doesn’t fit either with the Yokohama Geolandars in stock size. I tossed it and just painted the silver camera disk black and called it good.

And I even used the suggestions on this thread – and even 2 bare-chested women couldn’t get the cover on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone with the spare tire cover on and the OEM spare answer the question of how much of the screen is normally obscured by the cover?

With the cover on it appears I lose about the bottom 1/4 of the image.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I have the BFG AT and the cover fits perfectly.

One of the first things I did with my FJ was drive to the local tire shop and replace the OEM Duelers with a set of five Michelin LTX AT2s in the stock size of 265/70R17.

However… when I got home I was unable to get the spare tire cover back on.

Looking at the inside of the cover, it's designed to only go on a tire with a rounded shoulder; the Michelins and most other all-terrain tires have squared off shoulders, so the cover will never fit anything that isn't rounded like the Duelers.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler HT 684:

OEM Dunlop Grandtrek:

Michelin LTX AT2 - cover does not fit:

BFG AT - cover likely does not fit:

A bit upsetting as that means I was able to use the factory spare tire cover for exactly one day; Toyota could have easily designed the cover to accommodate both shoulder styles.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket cover that accommodates A/T tires and provides a hole for the rear view camera to see out of?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Modify it and put the camera on the piece that comes out of the center. This not a Rav 4. Spare covers suck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I dont have one with the rear camera so I cannot comment on your original question, however I was thinking that if it is so difficult to put on, will it also be difficult to remove again?

You may want to do a practise removal now so that if/when you really need the spare you won't have any unknown issues.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts