Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They hurt my baby :mecry:
July 26, '08 4PM. I was driving on Cesar Chavez/Sunset Blvd heading west towards Figueroa, entered the Left Turn Lane to go on Figueroa, was the 3rd car in line, light was green and I was at a full stop. Next thing you know there's a squeal and a crash! A small black car just hit my passenger side! Like one of those movies where you ram your car into the side of his car. So I'm cursing and looking over but all I see is the black roof of the vehicle.Turn my hazards on and he moves to disengage our vehicles, get next to him but he's so low I can't see the driver. The car then pulls behind me, not wanting to obstruct traffic I wave my hand out the window for us to turn and park at the corner. After making my turn I see him change lanes and run away! (Pls. Don't Do what I'm gonna do next) I suddenly make a U-Turn to go after him, I'm flashing my lights and honking my horn, traffic let's me pass, but by the time I get to following him he's gone. I drive around for a few minutes into side streets but I don't find him. Never thought people would do something like that over some body damage. Feel like a fool for letting him get away. So now I'm waiting to talk to my insurance, they'll ask me for my $500 deductable. Judging by the damage, the other cars driver-side mirror is what scratched my FJ from rear to front, it's the front quarter panel where it dug in and pushed the metal in. Surprised there's not more damage since he crashed into me at an angle. Oh well, be careful, if you can get the plate right away get it. So if they do run, Johnny Lawman can do his job.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Ack, I'm sorry to hear your story. What a loser to run away. This has happened to my wife before. It can be very frustrating. I hope you get it fixed with the minimum of efforts.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Actually you are probably lucky you didn't catch the guy after running away cuz you could have been over come by RKS (Rodney King Syndrome) and ended up in jail AND on somebody's YOUTUBE video. All the Luck, huh?

·
Registered
547 Posts
that sucks!!! but think about it this way karma will get him. his nuts will get bite off by a dog or something.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Sorry to hear.
He probably had no insurance or suspended license thats why he ran

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This happened to me and my friend a long time ago... a clearly drunk driver hit us while we were at a red light. He was in some little red Euro sports car... if memory serves, a Spider.

I got the license plate number, we went to the San Francisco police and waited forever (it was like 4 a.m. before they talked to us)... they said there was nothing they could do, but the officer literally looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was looking, gave us the guy's address, and said if it were him, he'd go there with a baseball bat. :lol: Well, being women, we took guns. haha J/K. But we did scare the guy enough that he gave us cash right then and there. :D Stoopid Marin County rich arsehole...

·
Registered
380 Posts
This happened to me and my friend a long time ago... a clearly drunk driver hit us while we were at a red light. He was in some little red Euro sports car... if memory serves, a Spider.

I got the license plate number, we went to the San Francisco police and waited forever (it was like 4 a.m. before they talked to us)... they said there was nothing they could do, but the officer literally looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was looking, gave us the guy's address, and said if it were him, he'd go there with a baseball bat. :lol: Well, being women, we took guns. haha J/K. But we did scare the guy enough that he gave us cash right then and there. :D Stoopid Marin County rich arsehole...
In FL your plate info is puplic info... You can take any number to the local tax collector and get the name and address of the person who it belongs to. When I worked there there was $3 charge for getting it but we only charged to one lady who was crazy and came in about 3 times a week with a list of plates...

But I found out you can learn a lot with public info. :wave:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Now that's funny.. Cheers.. Ron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened.

people do that kind of stuff in parking lots and street parking all the time. My last two cars were all dinged and banged up. Combination of people hitting your bumpers steet parking (when I lived in city) and hitting your car when opening thier car door. My last car got a huge ding from co-worker while parked at work, only had it two weeks. Most times they just take off without leaving any info. Street parking and body colored plastic bumpers don't mix well.

I try to park way out in the lot where it is empty, but some a**hole always parks on top of you even way out in an empty lot.

Unfortunately I live in a apt(although a decent area) so people park like idiots. Bottom line, their are a lot of people with crappier cars than yours, so they don't care if they hit someone elses and do damage.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sucks....I hat A$$HATS....Prolly had no insurance.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
My buddy slammed into the back of some lady in his jeep one time and both pulled over to exchange info. My friends gets out to go talk to her and all she does is stare at the back o fher car, look up scared, said "dont worry" and then jumped in her car and peeled out of the parking lot. She must of been drunk..... No damage to his jeep but a ton to her little car

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the support, advice and kind words ;-) My insurance company has agreed that I can take my car to a Toyota Shop to get the body work done, since it's only 20mos old hopefully they do a better job than a non Toyota place. The pics don't show it well but the area above the wheel well got pushed in a good 6-8 inches, the holes in the metal for the plastic fender are almost exposed, any idea on how they're gonna fix that? Pull it, hammer it or replace it? This is actually the 3rd time someone has hit a car i owned while being either parked or at a full stop! I feel like a magnet or somethin'!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sucks that it was a hit and run.

Is it bad to say that i'm waiting for a small light hit to the right fender, in which case a snorkel would perfectly cover it up?
If I had a snorkel it would have been destroyed :-( Don't know if my insurance would cover it.

·
Registered
639 Posts

I was under the impression that the people in SOCAL gave up the right to have guns...?
Nice cop, I must say.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
San Francisco is in North Calif, and they are even MORE strict about guns....they don't even let you talk about guns or it's a mandatory re-education camp trip for you - complete with tie-dye clothes, Birkenstocks, and LSD tabs while listening to the George Harrison song "My Sweet Lord."

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
whoa there dude.. I believe you're having a flash back... LOL... Ron

San Francisco is in North Calif, and they are even MORE strict about guns....they don't even let you talk about guns or it's a mandatory re-education camp trip for you - complete with tie-dye clothes, Birkenstocks, and LSD tabs while listening to the George Harrison song "My Sweet Lord."

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Again with the LSD..... Dave, what's up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts