Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my trail gear sliders on monday. I love em. They stick out a little farther than I expected, but for the price, you cant beat em.
I thought about how a wet shoe sole could be a slippery danger, so I headed off to the local skate shop. I asked the clerk for the most abrasive, longest lasting, scariest gip tape that he had. He proceeded to tell me that "This stuff is tuff, but itll tear up your shoes real fast". I told him that i wasnt gonna use this on a skate board, just on my step bars(figured he wouldnt know what sliders/ rock rails are). He says cool. Good idea. Yeah right. It was a great idea. I finished up the install and admired my craftmanship. Later that day my girl says "my leg is stinging, I think I scratched it somehow". we had no idea how she got scratched until I raked my shin acrossed the GRIP TAPE FROM HELL!!!!!! To make a long story even longer. I have scratched my right leg twice and my left calf 4 times all in the same spot. All within about a day and a half. You would think I would figure it out by now. OUCH.:mecry:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I built my own sliders and put expanded metal on the section where you step in. It has worked out quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It came in a preset length for a skateboard, so I just used the full length so rear seat passengers would have grip. Also, its nice when you are washing the roof. Or putting stuff on the roofrack (witch I dont have yet).

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats funny. My girl isnt fond of it, but she says its a good idea. We are gonna try to live with it and be careful. Im afraid as soon as I take it off, my little boy will step up on it and slip and brake an ankle. He helped me put them on the FJ, so now he thinks you have to step on them every time. Hes only 2 and a half years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Thats funny. My girl isnt fond of it, but she says its a good idea. We are gonna try to live with it and be careful. Im afraid as soon as I take it off, my little boy will step up on it and slip and brake an ankle. He helped me put them on the FJ, so now he thinks you have to step on them every time. Hes only 2 and a half years old.
Great pic of your son helping. I can still remember the little creeper my dad made for me when I was about 4. My Mom still talks about coming out to the garage and seeing two sets of legs sticking out from under the car/truck. One large, one small. He'll remember these times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This weekend I did this.

Solved the slipping problem and prevents a child's legs from falling through.

Nice job on your sliders NCFJ:rocker:
Yeah, that looks great. I saw your handy work a couple of days ago. I didnt have a lot of cash to spend after the initial purchase of the sliders. Or I mite have done the same thing you did. But I love your idea. Gotta keep those little ones safe.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Thanks Bernd, I like what you did on yours too. I'd have done the same if small kids were in and out of my rig, cant be too safe.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
sorry, thats what i get for not reading post clearly, i thought you meant the sticky back grip tape.. so forgive me. i like this idea completly i just have one question where did you get the diamond plate. though i would use diamond in black.. sorry for mispost.. im old..

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
LOL Mike you are old buddy, the original post was about grip tape.

You'd have to use regular dp and have it either powder coated or anodized to black

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
That's the problem with running board rails: you either have to remember to step ON them or step AROUND them. And when you forget and hit your leg against them they will no doubt be covered in mud!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i bought some of the hvy grit tape as well so wife would not bust her tail climbing up in it if wet...i step over them and straight in truck even with lift so good to be tall...but sometimes i jump out and dont pay attention....and get a nasty strawberry raw spot on my calf....just like when playing baseball and sliding. hurts like hell....

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Great pic of your son helping. I can still remember the little creeper my dad made for me when I was about 4. My Mom still talks about coming out to the garage and seeing two sets of legs sticking out from under the car/truck. One large, one small. He'll remember these times.
X2 Great pic. It takes me back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts