Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all this is my first post,:wave:
im not a new fjc owner but the question im gonna ask you is a newbie question :)
ive been a proud fjc owner since 2009. Last month i experienced some engine problems being that there was a loud rattling noise coming from the engine so I decided to take to the dealership, they told me the noise was from inside and they had to open up the engine that alone cost me 300kd(1000$) after opening up the engine they told me the problem was that the piston was rattling around the side wall and that was caused by my k&n CAI and if i wanted to fix it id have to pay 2500kd(9000$) and if i wanted a used engine it'll be 1800(6500$) i opted for the used engine. Now that was a month ago right now my gear is'nt shifting properly and i took it to the dealership because i thought it would be part of the warranty, to my surprise they told me that the problem might be from my tires the BFG all terrains he told me that without even checking the gear so i just wanted to ask if in any way they could harm the gear.

THANK YOU!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
if your tires are bigger than stock / OEM the fj will shift differently. I feel like your dealership took you for a ride on the engine problem tho :worried:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I can't imagine how they could, unless they are huge, like 37's.

But the issue then is usually with power and not causing any damage that I am aware of.

-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tires are just the normal size
and i know they took me for a ride but what could i do
there thieves here in kuwait they when to get all your money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btw if had the tires on since last june and this issue hasn't come up until a couple of days ago

·
Registered
250 Posts
If tires are the stock size, you wouldnt have any issues with engine. Like previous post, might be tranny. Yeah and I also dont the the air intake would foul up piston?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what size tires would be bad for the car cause im thinking that i want to change them for Mickey thompsons

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, what a dealer.
Are you sure they actually changed out the engine? Sounds like a shop full of crooks to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
x2 sounds like you're dealing with a less than reputable shop. Not all dealers are crooks, go get a second opinion and maybe notify your local AG.

Gett'n my $3 worth from AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I am not sure all the people replying fully understand your situation. You are in Kuwait. There is probably only one dealer in the whole country. And they don't necessarily abide by our rules/laws. If you are in the Military I would try contacting someone in a liason office. I am not sure the title of this office, but do know there would be a office which serves as a help for military in commercial markets. The US pumps tons of money into foreign markets so these offices do have some leverage.

I you are a contractor, you are probbaly out of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we just have one dealer in kuwait and no im not in the military im a 20 year old kuwaiti:p
and yea we have diffrent policies here in kuwait

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you see your "old" engine after they removed it? I'd want to see what I just paid $7500 for... I find it all a little odd that you took it in for a mystery sound that was diagnosed by "opening" your engine and they just found you a nice used one for $6500 and you're still not happy. Now they're blaming it on tires? How long did this whole job take? How long for them to locate the used engine? Days in the shop? I'm with Athena on this one... Something is rotten in Denmark.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
It doesn't make sense why they'd replace the motor then blame the tires ?! so what, he paid for another motor for no reason?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts