Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my search without finding any reviews to review about these new tires.

Just found out Michelin owns BFG and this much awaited tire is now available. Looks like a crossbreed, better than street, a little off-road lite but not quite off-road like the BFG ATs that I keep mounted up and save for my road trips.

Looking to replace the stock Bridgestones (finally) but don't like the
"only go to the Mall" look I am currently sporting in between trips.
Gas mileage has once again become an issue budget wise.

Any feedback?? or thoughts?? would be greatly appreciated on these or a comparable tire >>
285/70 17" Rugged Terrain Tires.
Best price to date for 5 with 4 certs: America's Tire $1133.00
Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Haven't heard anything about them, but I'd be tempted. I run studded snows in the winter, but have started looking to replace with stock tires with a good cross-use spring/summer/fall tire. This may be it.

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dude, these look good on your FJ. Pretty dramatic change in the before and after picture. Sounds like a nice ride too. Should be putting these on in the next week or so. Will post up pics. Get a good price?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks Dude, these look good on your FJ. Pretty dramatic change in the before and after picture. Sounds like a nice ride too. Should be putting these on in the next week or so. Will post up pics. Get a good price?
Yes, around $1,1xx out the door mounted, balanced for all 5

They are good in the rain so far, I have only driven in light/medium rain. Once we get a good Florida down pore I will post my experience.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They look nice. I was in the same boat – mostly highway driving (40 miles a day), but love going offroad and wanted something that could handle both well. I ended up with the Yokohama Geolandar A/T. They haven’t let me down.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trigger on these Rugged Terrain 285 70/17 tires last Friday from America's/Discount tires. (Thanks S2KPUDDY for TOFTT!)

Put on about 100 miles already and I really like the highway ride, nice and smooth.

They don't look like they would ride quiet, but they are as silent as possible.

I will report back about my other objective, improved gas mileage over the BFG All Terrains T/A KO's that I still have mounted up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Congrats on the new tires they look great that size black wall:bigthumb:

I have put about 2,500 miles on my new BFG tires so far and they have been great!! wet traction is excellent, ride comfort, and handling are also excellent too. My wife and I drove down to Sanibel over the weekend (400 mile round trip) and the truck drove great. We had a lot of rain on the trip back and forth and the Fj was very stable and smooth to drive. Traction was very good even in the heavy rain I never felt unsafe or any instability in the way the truck drove.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back here to report that My BFG Rugged Terrain tires are still holding strong. Did one trip to the Eastern High Sierras with the NorCal FJs to Laurel Lakes. Tricky "road" for a few up there, did with Baby Bear my Off-Road trailer without any problems on these BFGs.
Here are the guys mounting them up.
America's Tire installs my BFGs - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great post, as I'm looking to pull the trigger on these. So after about a year do you still like the tire? Also did you get the P or LT in the 285/70/17?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive had them on mine for about a year and I love them. Great on and off road! And in my opinion they look just as good, if not better than the BFG AT's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the P285/70/17's on mine. Had them just over a year and very happy with them. 20K and thet're wearing even with no signs of cupping . Rotating them every 5K miles. The tires are very grippy with a solid feel. I think they are a good "compromise tire" for a rig that spends most of its time on the road.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts