Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I never gave much thought to it. I have a set of 265's under her now I'm going to switch out (my OME kit goes under her Tomm). I tow a camper with it and it is my family vehicle. We plan on doing some off roading for fun, which ply should I go with 8 or 10? Any pro's and con's?

Thanks,

JamieD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put BFG A/Ts 285/70/17 on mine and love it. The only thing that was explained to me was the 8 ply was black lettering only and the 10 ply is reversable. Mine is an everyday driver and I plan on using it for both. Have done some minor off-roading but would like to stretch it out. The 10 ply cost a little more too. If I am not mistaken, they were like $20 more a tire. It's hard because BFG prices change a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you put the 10 ply on then? If so how is the ride. I really don't want a stiff rattle your brains ride. We do alot of traveling camping? I didn't know they made the 10 ply, I know the 265/70/17's are 8 ply and ride fine.

JamieD

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
The difference between the the 8 ply (D) load and the 10 ply (E) load is about 10lbs in weight and 900lbs of extra load capacity on the tire... Your mileage will drop with the 10 ply...then again you will likely ever get a blowout or a flat from a E load tire...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,
I decided to go with the 8ply and black lettering. I have the 265/70/17 on there now that are 6 ply and the ride was fine, so I figured the 8 ply with the OME kit should ride about the same. I'll get some pics up Tomm when the new tires go on - can't wait to get her out off roading a a little.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

1 - 5 of 5 Posts