Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put 285/70/17 tires on a new set of wheels (17x9). I've been debating between the BFG K/O's and MT's. The FJ will see mostly roads/highways with the occasional off-road adventures. Unfortunately I will have to sacrifice fuel economy with a 20lb increase of rotational weight per corner (~260lb increase of dead weight with the spare).

Does anyone have any experience with any of these tires? The price difference is only $20 per tire so that does not bother me. I am not concerned with road noise either. My main concern would be mpg (negligible since the MT weigh only 2lbs more than the K/O's) and tire wear.

Thanks in advance. I'm also open to other tire suggestions so if you have any please post!

·
Registered
371 Posts
For your requirements, BFG AT's. I have done a review of these two tires. I would invite you to use the search button.

Regards. SSC

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I am running the km2 mt tires when i am offroad you just won't beat them. it is not my daily driver, and I have seen the at kos do very well both on road and offroad, if you are planning to go offroad and get in the mud the ko do not work well in slick mud. hope this helps in your desicion

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I lived in illinois all my life, except the last 7 and traveled most everywhere i thought. where is your town located by? it is a new one on me..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you SSC.

Stringmachine - Algonquin is off of Route 62 (Algonquin Road) and Randall Road. It's by Crystal Lake, South Barrington, and Lake in the Hills.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
BFG A/T is a great all around tire and I think would be better suited for you. I run them on my FJ and they haven't let me down yet. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great review SSC on the BFG KM2's. Pending excessive tire wear on the KM2's compared to the K/O's I'm thinking I want to run the KM2's.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
mine are great. love them. i little noisey compared to the at ko tire. but i think i am getting used to it..:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I have both of these tires in a 305/65 17". For the driving that you posted, I would recommend the BFG All-Terrain KO's. They are very good tires on the road and will perform great off road also. I've over 5K miles on my KM2's highway & off road and they have done well with very little wear shown.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I run AT/ko's on my FJ and 3/4 T truck. Great all around performance and tire wear. I've used them on and off-road.

I'm also buying a set of KM2's for off-road use. I appreciate the review and comments posted on both tires.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
BFG A/T is a great all around tire and I think would be better suited for you. I run them on my FJ and they haven't let me down yet. :)
x2 If you are running mostly highway with say an offroad trip once a month or so, i'd say go with the A/T.

Their real only weakness is mud. So if you have a lot of mud (like we do in Louisiana), i'd say go MT's.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I'm running the KM2 285/70/17's on my FJ and have about 5000 on them. LOVE them so much more than the A/T's. that I had previously. Not that the A/T's aren't a great tire, its just that the KM2's handle JUST as well and look so much better. They aren't really loud at all either. They responded awesome last month up on the Rubicon Trail and I drive them 20 miles a day on the street with no complaints.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for everyone's comments and responses. I've decided to go with the KM2's. The cheapest I found the tires was at Costco with their $60 rebate on 4 BFG tires. Total for 5 285/70/17 mounted and balanced is $1,200.03. Does anyone else know of a better deal?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Snacks, if that includes mounted and balanced and shipped that is a good price. if not check with your local smaller tire shops i did and it paid off. I got mine for that with all the above hope this helps...:bandit:

I have no complaints about my KM 2 set, they have pulled me through anything i dished out to them , and they are very tough, take the rough terrain like its nothing.. i give them a big 10 in my book.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I have had mine down to 15 off road and the ride from 20 and down is great benifit also.. lots of smooth trailing, and confidence..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts