Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a quick question.

I got a set of 285/65/17 E rated AT/KO's on my fjc and I'm on my rotation time. I'm not use to rotating tires that are non-directional. Thing is, I know just about every rotation method there is but I'm still iffy about it.

For the time being I only did back to front and front to back.

I'm told by shops for these specific tires and my fjc to take front straight to back and back krisscross to front. Problem is, last I remember is that tires with steel belts are never to be krisscrossed when rotating due to the steel belts being used to rotating a certain direction from use and it can cause the belt(s) to snap internally. Even when I'm told by shops and BFG to krisscriss the rears when putting them on the front, I still remember that tires haven't been designed to krisscross during rotation since around the 1940's when internal belts first started going in tires...

So my question is this... front to back and back to front straight across or front to back straight and back to front krisscross? I want to hear it from others who own fj's. I love my ATs and I wana make sure they last.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it because they're E rated and have two steel belts?

I was thinking that the movement of the fronts to the rear is what relaxed the belts to krisscross back to the front.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I did it front to back per the Owner's Manual and I rotated in the spare on the passenger side too. I have criss-crossed other vehicles though and I noticed tracking issues after a rotation. Maybe it was psychological. But I prefer front to back.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I say option G on the 5 tire rotation from the above link.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I did it front to back per the Owner's Manual and I rotated in the spare on the passenger side too. I have criss-crossed other vehicles though and I noticed tracking issues after a rotation. Maybe it was psychological. But I prefer front to back.
This is how I do it. Please disregard my above post. Not sure what happened to the link.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
BFG ATs have tracking issues due to the square shoulder of the lugs, not because of how you rotated them. (if you are referring to the BFG ATs, if referring to other tires, then i dunno :) )

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have rotated mine Clockwise every 5K since I put them on with no problems

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright awesome guys thanks.

i just wanted to make sure my new AT's stay healthy.

i went out and swapped the front back around since it's still within 20 miles of doing the rotation... i'd actually venture to say within 10 or 15.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Here is what I do (have done on my last three 4wd vehicles).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is what I do (have done on my last three 4wd vehicles).

that's the proper way of rotating I'm doing myself and have seen recommended on many auto-forums...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I remember when there were only 2 patterns, bias ply and radial. Then today I just searched Yahoo and there are numerous patterns. I guess it does not matter as long as you stay consistent?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I think directional rotation might be more for high performance tires. My Mark VIII tires had to stay the same direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts