Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
For folks that don't care for the BFG AT, I'm curious what they would recommend in an all-terrain tire. I don't plan on running M/T's anytime soon since I use my trucks as daily drivers.
I've used BFG AT's in the past on Ford 4X4 trucks and the negatives are true with the exception of premature wear...they wear like iron. On my last Ford (F250HD) I bought a set that I had on the truck for 4 years and had 38,000 miles on them when I sold it. The guy that bought it added another 10,000 before he rolled the truck on black ice and totaled it out....but not because of the tires....he parted it out and got good money for the wheels and tires.

I wouldn't dream of putting them on the FJ.....I used Nitto AT's on my last 2 Tacomas and now on my FJ....they wear exceptionally well, track true and that's on or off road....and handle wet roads very well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
the BFG's have the balance IMO to be almost the perfect tire, while they are not the best Sand, Snow, Street, Rock, Towing tire they are at the top in every category, they have amazing wear and longevity, are quiet and have a wide range of sizes and load ranges. Very hard to beat and have always switched over to the BFG's even after looking at other tires, everyone just keep coming back for 20 years to the same tire says allot about the tire and it capabilities. "My Humble Opinion"

·
Registered
157 Posts
How are these tires in sand? I ride at the beach a lot.
As you can read above, I really don't like those tires, really can't stand'em...

But I'm honest enough to admit that they weren't too bad in sand. I aired down to something around 1bar (14.5psi) and surfed the dunes of the Sahara. Definitively no complaints...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Now that's a cool shot - looks like you're tearing it up on Mars.

Have there been any FJ's on Mars yet? Someone should start a Mars pics thread.

·
Registered
326 Posts
the BFG's have the balance IMO to be almost the perfect tire, while they are not the best Sand, Snow, Street, Rock, Towing tire they are at the top in every category, they have amazing wear and longevity, are quiet and have a wide range of sizes and load ranges. Very hard to beat and have always switched over to the BFG's even after looking at other tires, everyone just keep coming back for 20 years to the same tire says allot about the tire and it capabilities. "My Humble Opinion"
X2 :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
In British Columbia ( BC ) Canada we have a few mtn hwys that are snow tire or chains only in winter conditions even if you have 4wd. They will turn you around or you will be fined in the case of a accident and your insurance may not cover. BFG AT ko sold in Canada have a snowflake( cdn winter standards stamp) on them and they pass as snow tires there that good. I think there is one other AT that passes as well the General Grabber AT.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In British Columbia ( BC ) Canada we have a few mtn hwys that are snow tire or chains only in winter conditions even if you have 4wd. They will turn you around or you will be fined in the case of a accident and your insurance may not cover. BFG AT ko sold in Canada have a snowflake( cdn winter standards stamp) on them and they pass as snow tires there that good. I think there is one other AT that passes as well the General Grabber AT.
Confirmed. Grabber AT2 has the snowflake on. They're pretty good on snow. IMO way better than the AT KO.

:cheers:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I admit they are a great snow tire as we here in Calgary get tons of snow , however after last winter (which was one of the worst in history for snow amount and ice) they are probably one of the worst tires I've driven on ice! I had a couple of instances where the FJ ended up doing 360's and that was on a side ice covered street in 4 wheel drive under the speed limit to boot!! Very Scarey tire on solid ice surfaces but wonderful in deep snow!! Am getting a set of the very best ice tires around (Nokian Hakka-5's) have friends with these on their FJ's and say it's by far the grippiest tire on ice they've ever had & hardly ever use 4x4 anymore when on ice!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I have owned BFG AT KOs for 40K miles. Switched to Hankook MTs for the 2009 FJSummit and, believe it or not, the Hankooks are quieter with a bit looser feel on the highway ( I have Icon coil overs). Better off road and equal on the highway.

Personally, I really like the Hankooks. I can say the BFGs had, easily, 20K more miles left on em.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have 36K on my current set of BFG's. I should easily get 55K out of them. I've bought about 14 or 15 sets of BFG's over the years and have never been let down or stranded by them.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Huh.

I've had these on the last four Toyota trucks, including my current FJ. I love them, they wear well, are pretty decent offroad for AT tires, and pretty quiet on pavement for AT tires. When these wear out, I'll be buying another set.

I do have a separate set of BFG MT's for times when I'm anticipaing mud & snow and the need for serious grippage, but the AT KO's are my daily tire of choice.

Ok, so I've done my research, searched the forum, other sites, read tire reviews, called local tire places and I've heard that these tires are:

• Extremely dangerous in wet conditions
• Have horrible tread wear
• Perform bad in snow (treads fill in)
• And are expensive and just for looks

Who has experienced this? Is this true?

I'll read tons of posts slamming the BFG AT's, but then hear the direct opposite 50% of the time, but from people that sound almost like they're just defending their pricey aggressive style shoes.

Owners of BFG AT KO's what say you?

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
I am switching to a more street friendly tire and considered the KO. I luv the look of my Swampers and they rock offroading, but are loud, heavy and wear quickly on pavement. Took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 free Pro Comp special & went with the Extreme A/T. Will buy a set of Swamper LTB's mounted to steelies for offroading.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts