Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to pull the trigger with tires and wheels. I'm putting Bilstein 5100s on the front so we can lift the front slightly to accommodate a US Off Road hidden winch. Thinking of going with BFG K02s since seems like the most popular, but Pro Comp and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were also recommended. Any thoughts or experiences? Maybe splitting hairs between these choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having a hard time choosing new tires, especially because I don't want to go bigger than 285 70 17 but I have fender flares which swallow the wheels a little. I'll probably go with the BFGs because of their reputation though. What notch are your bilsteins at? I have the same ones and I am thinking about lowering them to make the tires look bigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
planning on going to 3rd notch as recommended by the person making the bumper winch package. The bumper and winch only weigh around 115 lbs but with a slight rake before installing, I'm expecting it will dip another 1/4 inch, so we'll see if the 3rd notch brings it back level with the rear. I'm sticking with 265 70 17. Was thinking BFG until the guy selling the tires said he had heard they have some vibration issues sometimes. He likes the Pro Comp. Hard to know how much of that is true or if his company is offering an incentive to push out extra inventory of the other brand.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Thinking of going with BFG K02s since seems like the most popular, but Pro Comp and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were also recommended. Any thoughts or experiences? Maybe splitting hairs between these choices.
What type of terrain are you expecting? Mud, rocks, combination?

You've essentially got 3 types of tires:

1. 100% All-Terrain: example, the KO2's. Great for rocks and dirt, not so great in mud and snow as their tread gaps can get crammed with stuff.
  2. 100% mud tire: example, the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Better in mud and snow because the tread gaps are far enough apart to self-clean. Will chunk on pointy rocks.
  3. 50/50 hybrid AT/MT: example, the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Mud tread on the outside, AT tread on the inside. Does ok on both rocks/mud but is also weak on neither.
The Nitto Ridge Grapplers from your list are one of the many hybrid AT/MD clones of the original (or at least, first most popular) version of the hybrid tread, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. So if you're considering the Ridge Grappler's, consider the Duratrac's too.

The BFG's are the most popular tire on new offroad-y trucks, but go to any Toyota event here in Colorado and the most common tire you'll find are Duratracs. Doesn't make them right for everywhere though.

Understand the terrain you're going to see most often and then pick the tire suited to that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mainly road driving but in Ohio so off road is not as rocky as the west. Some forest trails, a decent amount of mud. Pretty lush and sometimes wet mountain and forest settings in the southeast. Duratrac looks interesting. Wonder if it will perform well off road.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Duratrac looks interesting. Wonder if it will perform well off road.
I'm on my 3rd set of Duratracs. My 4Runner got stuck in mud a few months ago and I was able to get it out, no problem. It also wears less on the road than a dedicated mud tire. If you ever plan on getting into some mud I'd avoid the KO2's. Either go with a hybrid tread -- there are several options, Duratracs should be your first choice -- or a mud tread.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
In addition to deciding on terrain handling, you might also want to decide on size--not all tire models are available in all sizes. If you're going 285/70R17, you're probably good across the board. Narrower, wider, taller, etc. and you might have fewer options available.

I'm on my 2nd pair of KO2s after giving the Nittos a hard look. KO2s have proven very predictable in snow and wet, which is where it counts for me. They pick up rocks on trails pretty bad, but they hook up well in most conditions. Not many A/T tires do well in mud, and KO2s are no exception. I had less data on the Nittos, and a mixture of reviews ranging all over the place. KO2s...just work for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I really like the Ridge Grapplers. My 285/70's now have 26k on them and they are still quiet with many miles left in them. I rotate every 6k miles. My only qualm is their traction where there is a lot of water on the road. If that is something that bothers you maybe consider the Terra Grapplers. Less aggressive look, smaller tread blocks and better in the wet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Give the snow rated Yokohama Geolandar GO15 a good look, they are super quiet with excellent ride on road and off road very good on trails.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have had two of the tires on your list on my FJ - the ProComps and the Ridge Grapplers.
I got 50K miles out of the ProComps before one of them blew the sidewall out on the Highway
I ended up with the Ridge Grapplers because they were new and I wanted a hybrid tire, the Mud Tires were just to much due to the amount of blacktop time I spend in the FJ. Both have performed well off road, I try and stay out of the mud as much as I can due to having to clean the underside (I spent over 20 bucks in quarters once after a muddy trip to Hawks Pride)

There are as many suggestions for tires as there are for wheels - you can't go wrong with any of the one folks have recommended so far.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've ran:
BFG - Good-road manners, Bad -everything else.
Terra Grapplers, Good- road manners, Bad- really just a street tire.
Duratracs Good- not much, Bad- light, weak sidewalls compared to Nitto and Toyo, the attitudes of the people (most) that run them.

My 4 rides currently have:

Toyo Open Country MT -Good- best tire made. Quiet for an aggressive tire, tough as nails, great on the tow rig, and I even run the 40's on my crawler. Bad- Expensive, heaviest tire made.
Ridge Grapplers- Good- wear nice on road and clean up well in the mud (for an AT) Bad- all the brodozers run them.
Trail Grapplers currently on the FJC- Good- Quit when new, great sidewalls. Bad- loud when worn, chunk bad on sharp rocks.
Maxxis RAZR- Good-Cheap, good looking tire, Bad-Loud on road.

For 99% of FJ owners I recommend the Ridge Grappler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought the Ridge Grapplers but I've only had them two days so ... but I did wear out the KO2s in about 34,000 miles, IMO that's not that great. They looked really ratty and chunked out on the last 1/4. I heard they changed the rubber formulation to make them harder, but IDK that for sure.

I like the theory of the Ridge Grapplers because we have rocks, mud, sand, everything here. The KO2s were worthless in the mud at our event last winter, but then again it was slick as **** and no one else's tires appeared to be doing better. Luckily the trail leader's ruts kept us away from the drop off.

I bought 305s and yes I did the body mount chop, cut off some bumper and plastic and still might have to take off the stock fender flares. :) but I love it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought the Ridge Grapplers but I've only had them two days so I haven't used them much. But I did wear out the KO2s in about 34,000 miles, IMO that's not that great. And they looked really ratty and chunked out on the last 1/3 - 1/4. I heard BFG changed the rubber formulation to make them harder, but IDK that for sure.

I like the theory of the Ridge Grapplers because we have rocks, mud, sand, everything here. The KO2s were worthless in the mud at our event last winter, but then again it was slick as **** and no one else's tires appeared to be doing better. Luckily the trail leader's ruts kept us away from the drop off.

I bought 305s and yes I did the body mount chop, cut off some bumper and plastic and still might have to take off the stock fender flares. :) but I love them

·
トヨタ Master
6,421 Posts
Of the 3 listed, and the places you want to drive, it would be darn hard to beat Nitto Ridge Grapplers. R/T (Rugged Terrain) tires are a pretty new segment to the tire world(don't get confused with BFG Rugged Terrain, which are hybrid AT/HT tires). They are hybrid AT/MT tires, and though I haven't tried them yet, I have been selling Ridge Grapplers almost 4:1 over Duratracs lately. They are quieter too. Size and load range can make a big difference too. The thing about 10 ply Duratracs are that they tend to get pretty hard over the years, meaning tread compound. This will lead to chunking, more noise, and more frequent balance issues. The 8 ply LT285/70R17s, LT265/70R16, and 6 ply LT265/70R17s aren't as bad. I'm also in a dry climate so I do not know their characteristics in humid climates such as yours. Ask around some of your local wheeling folks & forum members, you'll get a better idea of what works where they actually frequent.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have heard rumor that Nittos actually come out of the Toyo factory. Might explain why they both tend to be on the heavy side.

Do you have any experience with ridge grapplers in snow or rain?

I've ran:
BFG - Good-road manners, Bad -everything else.
Terra Grapplers, Good- road manners, Bad- really just a street tire.
Duratracs Good- not much, Bad- light, weak sidewalls compared to Nitto and Toyo, the attitudes of the people (most) that run them.

My 4 rides currently have:

Toyo Open Country MT -Good- best tire made. Quiet for an aggressive tire, tough as nails, great on the tow rig, and I even run the 40's on my crawler. Bad- Expensive, heaviest tire made.
Ridge Grapplers- Good- wear nice on road and clean up well in the mud (for an AT) Bad- all the brodozers run them.
Trail Grapplers currently on the FJC- Good- Quit when new, great sidewalls. Bad- loud when worn, chunk bad on sharp rocks.
Maxxis RAZR- Good-Cheap, good looking tire, Bad-Loud on road.

For 99% of FJ owners I recommend the Ridge Grappler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I’m not a fan of your choices I love my coopers my 2 trucks are running 285 st maxx and 285 stt pros i had a lot of trouble keeping my Goodyear’s and BFG KO’s balenced

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just spent a bunch of time researching this as well. Something that isn't discussed much is rain. I went with Duratracs on my factory steelies because they seem to rate much better in rain. I mainly drive on dirt and gravel to get places as opposed to just wheeling for fun. The BFG KO2 is also a fantastic tire, but it seems to have an issue with hydroplaning, which would be a problem for me as we get about 50" a year. For someone in a dryer place like California it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I set the Bilsteins on the second notch. Regained the ride height lost by installing a winch and an US General winch mount. Raised it a little less than 1/2". It's a 2013 and the ride height looks stock. I would do the same thing again. Even that 1/2" sag was noticable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts