Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for new shoes on the rig...I have heard that they do not make the BFG's AT in a 8ply any more? Is that true? How do the 10ply compare? Are they too stiff when aired down?

Thanks for your time and input :cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
My KM2's are 10 ply and aired down great. May need to go down a little more and the tire might be heavier but usually BFG's are some of the lightest tires out there.

:cheers:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to respond Old Cruiser. I am completely happy with the BFG's and would like to get the same ones, I am going to move forward with the 10 ply off of what you said.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The Old Cruiser wouldn't steer you wrong. Go with the BFG 10ply. It's a good tire no matter what anyone says. :wave:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
It's a great 10 ply tire...I wish they would offer them in a C' and D'...some people want light and aggressive in that style. I rarely go thru jagged rocks or situations where the sidewalls may be compromised. A C' option 6ply would net you at least 2 mpg...maybe more!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i wouldn't touch 6ply with our rigs. i had them on mine when i first got it and they were suppose to last 45k miles and they barely made 10k. our rig's too heavy for 6ply in my opinion, 8ply or higher.

i have 10ply 285/70/17 AT's on now with about 6k on them at 40psi and they show almost no real signs of wear. even the mold whiskers from manufacturing, the stumps from them are still visable on top of the tread. it's also a real b%tch to get them to break loose in the snow and compact ice, they really have some good grip.

if you get the 10ply, make sure it's the 10ply LT model, it'll never fail you for any winter conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts