Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am upgrading my "Canadian Pine" roof rack. I am thinking of bolting a simple front fork skewer to one of the OEM cross members. Probably favoring one side or the other for strength and not right in the middle of the cross member. My bike is a recumbent that is about 7.5 feet long. I will load it from the back standing on the back bumper and open cargo area wheeling it onto the roof with the back wheel forward. I was thinking about bolting a simple Thule front fork skewer to the rear-most cross member. I intend to just bungie the back wheel and frame to the side rails of the roof rack. Probably will use washers to compensate for the eliptical cross section of the cross member. If I get fancy I may put a Yakima channel toward the front supported by two cross members to make wheeling the rear wheel easier.

Thinking about attaching a rubber runner to the roof with 3M 77 super adheasesive to protect it from the rear tire and chain lube. I had a ghost stripe of chain lube on my roof from my trip from FL to IN. It's gone now but it was there.

Do y'all think the rear cross member can take it? Do I need a padded block between the cross member and the roof or will that just end up denting the roof?

Enquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
1) I would be hesitant to glue anything to the roof. I'd rather have a little ghost stripe which could be removed with degreaser later than to have contact adhesive stuck on the paint.
2) You could always add some "beef" to the cross members (if sagging is a concern) but the limiting factor will always be the plastic ends. What is the bike's weight ?
3) I would use a ratchet strap for pulling the back wheel/bike down snug. This will keep it from bouncing and bungee straps are frowned upon in some states because they aren't considered a proper load restraint.
4) Without more info on weight and shape of block I cannot comment on whether I think it will dent the roof. however, if the load is spread out properly I doubt that it would.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I would be hesitant to glue anything to the roof. I'd rather have a little ghost stripe which could be removed with degreaser later than to have contact adhesive stuck on the paint.
2) You could always add some "beef" to the cross members (if sagging is a concern) but the limiting factor will always be the plastic ends. What is the bike's weight ?
3) I would use a ratchet strap for pulling the back wheel/bike down snug. This will keep it from bouncing and bungee straps are frowned upon in some states because they aren't considered a proper load restraint.
4) Without more info on weight and shape of block I cannot comment on whether I think it will dent the roof. however, if the load is spread out properly I doubt that it would.
Woodsman, Thanks for the thoughts

My recumbent brobably weighs 30 lbs with the seat removed which is how I would transport it. Weight distirbution is about 70% rear and 30% front with a rider so we are talking maybe 10 -15 lbs on the front fork / cross member.

In my experience - I have been riding since 1995 - less is more when it comes to tying down bikes. They are not like motorcycles that require real tie downs. Bouncing is generally not an issue if you grab them at all. That being said I have some 1" light weigh cam buckle tie downs that as you suggest would be better than bungies. Damn it, just remembered those are in Florida. Oh well I can get another set.

I had my bent secured wtih the Canadian Pine roof rack and sandwiched between two of the smaller black plastic cargo boxes one tied to each side rail on the way from FL to IN. Didn't have any trouble.

I have transported this one in the bed of my Tundra with the gate down. Again it was grabbed by the front fork with a skewer mounted on the top of the bed behind the cab window. I used two nice bungies with carabiner ends to secure the rear. I ran them from the tail gate D ring latch on each side with a loop around the frame just as a safety second strap. The ridges in the Tundra bed liner helped keep it from sliding around.

I'll have to think about what you said about the chain grease. I'm worried that after enough trips the ghost stripe would be permanent.

So what do you think. Would 10 - 15 pound on the end of a 7' lever tear up the cross member? How thick is the cross member steel BTW? Will they be able to hold four 5/16 bolts throught the skewer mount?

Let me know what you think.

Anyone ever had an OEM cross member fail? What was the situation?

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I'll have to think about what you said about the chain grease. I'm worried that after enough trips the ghost stripe would be permanent.
How about this ? Order a piece of magnetic sheet in white and just stick it on the roof. Magnet King - FLEXIBLE VINYL MAGNETIC SHEETING

I don't think your weight will be an issue with the cross bars. I, and many other FJers, have carried two five gallon jerry cans on two crossmember off road. That means almost 100 pounds of load on a bouncy ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about this ? Order a piece of magnetic sheet in white and just stick it on the roof. Magnet King - FLEXIBLE VINYL MAGNETIC SHEETING

I don't think your weight will be an issue with the cross bars. I, and many other FJers, have carried two five gallon jerry cans on two crossmember off road. That means almost 100 pounds of load on a bouncy ride.
Excellent idea on the magnetic sheeting. It will probably stay in place laying flat with some weight on it too. I'll let you know if it screws with the compass. Better than glue that's for sure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excellent idea on the magnetic sheeting. It will probably stay in place laying flat with some weight on it too. I'll let you know if it screws with the compass. Better than glue that's for sure. Thanks again.
A magnet will sieze to the roof over time. Make sure you remove/reapply it from time to time.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
If your concerned that your crossbar will bend just unscrew the end of the cross bar and stuff a couple pieces of re bar in the cross bar and use a little expanding foam to keep them from rattleing around. That will stiffen them up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your concerned that your crossbar will bend just unscrew the end of the cross bar and stuff a couple pieces of re bar in the cross bar and use a little expanding foam to keep them from rattleing around. That will stiffen them up.
Excellent idea thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been running two bike tights on mine for 3 years now and no problem,I used a MST strap (a flat piece of 1/8" metal used for framing) on top and bottom of crossmember then just bolted bike tite to the top been hauling around two bikes no problem

·
Registered
479 Posts
"How about this ? Order a piece of magnetic sheet in white and just stick it on the roof. Magnet King - FLEXIBLE VINYL MAGNETIC SHEETING

I think that is a great idea, I was going to suggest a few strips if painters masking tape applied and removed when needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts