Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres the skinny, i have a 4x4 fj cruiser with the stock exhaust. i dont exactly dislike the exhaust it has now cause it sounds great inside.(kinda like a classic jeep or something). but i want something that will make even the biggest trucks make a double take. i mean i want this rig to be the loudest FJ around. ive also noticed that when i pull up next to a building that i hear a weird ticking noise. but anyways i like the sound of a good exhaust system and the attention it gives me. plus i dont care about noise ordinances cause i live out in the woods.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The problem with changing your exhaust is that right now your stock exhaust is tuned. Meaning that the intake system, valve adjustment and exhaust are all tuned to make the most horsepower using the least amount of fuel. If you change just your exhaust to go for that loud sound you will probably see a loss in horsepower, performance and or fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
^ not necessarily. A buddy beer-canned his stock muffler on the trail, so we had to cut it. He saw improved MPG and HP till he got it fixed. Long tube headers, y pipe, and glass pack = about as loud as you can get legally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks guys. ill definetly start looking at glasspacks. and ill be sure to try everything i can to get it tuned if i can with aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glasspacks/cherry bombs/etc. (straight through exhausts) have a unique sound. personally I would put in a bypass pipe to allow you to cap or uncap your exhaust before I would throw a set of glasspacks on there.

I've seen it said before no exhaust is the best exhaust....which I believe in IF you are honestly ALWAYS on the throttle full bore.

A Tuned exhaust is always a compromise between sound and performance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It doesn't get any louder than this!
DT long tubes, 2 1/4" dual tubes, magna flow x-pipe, 2 Supertrapp Superlight 4" internal mufflers.
Big block rumble at idle, Stampede of elephants on a quanset hut at full throttle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mufflers terminate before the axle, fit nicely where the stock muffler sat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Any problems with fumes having the exhaust dumping out under the truck?
Not any worse than with trhe trd exhaust. It has smelled richer after eliminating the cats. Haven't trailed it since the newest upgrade, will report more soon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Too bad we can't pass inspection like that...
At our DEQ stations, they simply hook up the the OBD, URD has provided me with a "little black box" that keeps any codes from being thrown. I passed!

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Megaphone exhaust tips like what came on the old muscle cars(Dodge I think).

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
At our DEQ stations, they simply hook up the the OBD, URD has provided me with a "little black box" that keeps any codes from being thrown. I passed!
It not the emissions thats the issue. Its the safety inspection that most states have. Your exhaust cant terminate under the vehicle (before rear bumper, unless it goes out the sides) and its a red flag/failure for any inspection station thats knowledgable. Not that you can't get around it, just a big headache in a lot of states. From the safety perspective I can understand the reasoning behind that requirement.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It not the emissions thats the issue. Its the safety inspection that most states have. Your exhaust cant terminate under the vehicle (before rear bumper, unless it goes out the sides) and its a red flag/failure for any inspection station thats knowledgable. Not that you can't get around it, just a big headache in a lot of states. From the safety perspective I can understand the reasoning behind that requirement.
Thanks for the heads up, cool thing about these, are that the external end caps could be added to, to extend the system back.

ps, I hope my fj someday grows up to be as bad as yours!

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, cool thing about these, are that the external end caps could be added to, to extend the system back.

ps, I hope my fj someday grows up to be as bad as yours!
Ironically mine will hopefully be getting a S/C like yours soon haha. Your dyno graph that you posted a few years back with the TRD on the mustang dyno has been quite useful in comparing to what I could find on the URD!

Comparing at the same boost levels the TRD seems to be the way to go...which is how I'm leaning. Would you go a different direction if you had to do it again or make any changes?

·
Registered
403 Posts
:lol:
Ironically mine will hopefully be getting a S/C like yours soon haha. Your dyno graph that you posted a few years back with the TRD on the mustang dyno has been quite useful in comparing to what I could find on the URD!

Comparing at the same boost levels the TRD seems to be the way to go...which is how I'm leaning. Would you go a different direction if you had to do it again or make any changes?
Funny and cool how we can all learn from each other.

If I build mine as a trail crawler, I will sell off every part I own, drop in a LS1, Atlas 4-speed and dana 60's.

I found out the hard way that HP breaks things on the rocks.:mecry:

Trying to find that balance between street and dirt is a tough act and one that each individual most weigh on their own needs.

URD's setup is awesome, I don't think I ever did see a dyno comparison though. My opinion (worth what you paid for it), Turbos kick butt on the street. SC's provide more low end torque, with no lag.

Maybe a Cummins turbo diesel? (torque up the wazoo!)

OK, so I'm really no help, but thanks for reading anyway

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Funny and cool how we can all learn from each other.

If I build mine as a trail crawler, I will sell off every part I own, drop in a LS1, Atlas 4-speed and dana 60's.

I found out the hard way that HP breaks things on the rocks.
What exactly have you broke with the S/C?

Rear 60 and Atlas2 + NWF crawlbox (supposedly stronger than the crawlbox on the atlas 4) are going in. Front end will remain IFS but have upgraded axles 930 inners & d60 outers. Front will remain IFS for the near future... might heat treat the front dif gears or switch to a 9" dif if I have issues.

My interest in the S/C is for desert racing...in the rocks I'm guessing I'll be below building boost most of the time (could be completely wrong, but with the turbo vehicles I've had in the past the boost takes several 1000 RPMs to kick in..obviosuly S/C will build earlier tho).

URD really only touts their HP numbers and it seems difficult for them to share the torque curves where the most value is imo. I've seen a few different variations and at the same boost the TRD always seems to have better curves and perform better in the various metrics of the xrunner crowd.

Sorry for the offtangent to the OP question. Just interested to get more of your feedback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts