Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2007 FJ out to Big Bend NP a few days ago and took it up the infamous Black Gap Road. I was told by many that they didn't think the FJ could handle it. I had no issues and found it to be quite easy and enjoyable. Just one of those 'take your time' and make the right decisions type of roads.

I will post the photos my buddy took (I was driving) later tonight, but here are a couple I took of my FJ with Elephant Tusk in the background:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great pics. I love that area. Did you make it to Terlingua or cross the boarder to ojinaga?
We went to Terlingua to hang out at the porch a couple of nights and had a great time. We didn't make it to Ojinaga though.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Are the drunk goats of Lajitas still at that convenient store, or did PETA find out about it and get them shut down?

If it is gone, there used to be a few goats in a pen behind the store that people fed beer to regularly. The goats loved the stuff and there were bottles everywhere to prove it. I got quite a kick out of it when I was a teenager. The main goat got to be pretty famous...

http://http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2227

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Wow. That first picture is a full-on postcard... Very nice! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the drunk goats of Lajitas still at that convenient store, or did PETA find out about it and get them shut down?

If it is gone, there used to be a few goats in a pen behind the store that people fed beer to regularly. The goats loved the stuff and there were bottles everywhere to prove it. I got quite a kick out of it when I was a teenager. The main goat got to be pretty famous...

http://http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2227
I don't think the goats are there anymore. The last few times I have been there (over six trips the past year), I haven't seen any. I see plenty of photos hanging on the walls showing the goats drinking straight from the bottles though! Could they be in Lajitas instead of Terlingua? The link above didn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Big Bend is on my short list of future trips. Anxious to see more pics. There are some good write-ups over on Expo's forum too.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Please post more photographs and details of your trip! We had planned a Christmas trip there this year but it fell through. We hope to try again next year.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I am still processing the photos from my trip, but as soon as I do I will post them.

I have been to Big Bend several times this year, but this was the first time I was able to get off the pavement. I bought my FJ for that very reason (my previous vehicle was an Impala).

Big Bend is an awesome place to go and is listed in the top 10 places that professional nature/landscape photographers like to visit, yet it is the least visited national park. I definitely encourage everyone to take a trip out there at least once in their lifetime!

You can see previous trips' photos here: MilesOfTexas Photography Big Bend National Park Gallery

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Bend is on my short list of future trips. Anxious to see more pics. There are some good write-ups over on Expo's forum too.
There is a great forum for all things Big Bend called BigBendChat.Com. It is an awesome resource for learning about Big Bend and the folks there are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. If anyone decides to make a visit to Big Bend, aka BIBE, I highly recommend taking a look. I will check out Expo's forum as well.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Great photographs in your galleries! Are you a professional photgrapher? If you had to choose a favorite month to visit Big Bend, which would it be?

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
There is a great forum for all things Big Bend called BigBendChat.Com. It is an awesome resource for learning about Big Bend and the folks there are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. If anyone decides to make a visit to Big Bend, aka BIBE, I highly recommend taking a look. I will check out Expo's forum as well.
Thanks. I'll bookmark it. Look in the completed trips section near the top of Expo's forum.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great photographs in your galleries! Are you a professional photgrapher? If you had to choose a favorite month to visit Big Bend, which would it be?
I don't make the claim of being a professional photographer, but a few of my friends seem to think otherwise. :lol:

My favorite month to visit Big Bend is the fist week of April. The temperatures are really nice and the spring break rush is over. Plus, the cacti are bursting with flowers all over the place.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice pics - I had tried to get a group together to hit up BB State Park last year, but it didn't seem to work out. Was hoping to go to CO & UT again in 2011, but if that doesn't work out Big Bend looks like a nice alternative.
If you decide to try to put together a group for BBSP, I would sure love to join it!

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts