Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you guys that have actually looked at the FJ tell me how much room there is with the rear seats folded down? Is the floor flat and long enough for a six foot plus person to sleep on?

Also, did the Toyota reps say anything about offering the 4 cylinder engine? (for the 4x4)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Absolutely not - on either. Possibly a diesel option in years to come, but the 4.0 ltr V-6 will be the only one available for the release. The back, with the seats down - is not flat, nor is it large enough for a 6'+ to sleep on!

·
Registered
87 Posts
fjwalker said:
Can any of you guys that have actually looked at the FJ tell me how much room there is with the rear seats folded down? Is the floor flat and long enough for a six foot plus person to sleep on?

Also, did the Toyota reps say anything about offering the 4 cylinder engine? (for the 4x4)
FJ-
See pages 8-10 of the "What we learned at Ojai..." thread for your answer
Happy Thanksgiving
Chaz

·
Registered
38 Posts
fjwalker said:
FJWALKER -

You need a Travelall (lol :D ) or wait for a retro FJ55 to appear down the road to sleep in... (love those old FJ55's!)

I was hoping the back folded down flat (guess it doesn't) and passenger seat folded up and forward (know it doesn't) to allow sleeping for us 6+ footers, but that doesn't look like they have gotten that utilitarian. My Travelall can carry stacked full sheets of plywood inside with the tailgate shut. No problem sleeping in these old binder beasts!

If the FJ is successful, I can see a larger 4door coming down the road. Much more stylish than the 4Runner and classic heritage look. :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is an issue for me to I would really like to be able to lie both back seats down and sleep relativly comfortably with my girlfreind

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I would bet that after this beastie comes out someone creates a tent conversion for the cargo area....

Westfalia models had them for the VW's, I have seen a couple of different truck tent options for small trucks - it'll will work itself out in due time, for sure. I give it about a month once this thing is released before there are pics up on our site of an easy mod or build-up cargo box, that will level the rear of the interior and allow for fairly easy sleeping.

In cold weather, snow, it's generally better to sleep on the ground anyway. I used to try and sleep in the back of the hummer I drove in the corps when we were out in cold-weather movements. I did that ONCE! The cold wind cooling the metal on which I was laying inside my mummy bag on, was WAY TOO MUCH. I was better off clearing some snow down to the dirt, throwing down pine needles and putting the bag on top of that - a hell of a lot warmer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
FordSucks said:
This is an issue for me to I would really like to be able to lie both back seats down and sleep relativly comfortably with my girlfreind

I have so many things I want to say rigth now, but I choose ``No comment....``

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
bubbahotep said:
I have so many things I want to say rigth now, but I choose ``No comment....``
I just caught that.... HA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want an option for sleeping, check out the Maggiolina rooftop tent. A friend has one mounted on his old Cruiser and it works great. Fiberglass aerodynamic shell with integral roof-rack, sleeps 2 people up to 6-9" in height, pops open via a gear-driven crank, nylon walls with doors and windows, bug netting, very well made. Saves interior space for other gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PhotoSeeker said:
If you want an option for sleeping, check out the Maggiolina rooftop tent. A friend has one mounted on his old Cruiser and it works great. Fiberglass aerodynamic shell with integral roof-rack, sleeps 2 people up to 6-9" in height, pops open via a gear-driven crank, nylon walls with doors and windows, bug netting, very well made. Saves interior space for other gear.
I just checked them out, excellent design! I like how compact they are.

I like to car camp when I am out climbing or exploring. The advantage is you can pull in any where and jump in and go to sleep, no fussing with tents which includes trying to find flat ground and worrying about the weather.

The rooftop tent could be a great solution for me.

Thx!

D

·
Registered
38 Posts
PhotoSeeker said:
PhotoSeeker -

That's a nice setup that I've never seen before MAGGIOLINA ROOFTOP TENT
I am hoping to purchase a CHALET A-frame style pop-up trailer CHALET

It fits right into the FJC's towing capacity and sets up in 30 seconds! I saw them at the Annual Pomona Fair Grounds RV Show two months ago. I personally like the Chalet XL with fixed queen bed with tons of storage under it. They have a "Trail Boss Off-Road Package" that gives you added ground clearance and larger wheels & tires. Slick little unit, but on the pricy side...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That Maggiolina is a very cool thing. I haven't seen anything like that before. I wonder if it would require a customized roof rack or if the rack already offered for the FJ could be customized for it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
climbonice said:
I just did a quick PS of the FJ with a roof top tent. It's the Maggiolina.

D
Okay, I'm stickin' with a tent, that thing just looks goofy on top of the FJ!

·
Registered
83 Posts
HunkerDown said:
That's a nice setup that I've never seen before MAGGIOLINA ROOFTOP TENT
Got one. Love it! Bikes in the back, gear stacked around, sleep on top. All the bedding and then some stores inside so you don't have to put it in the truck.

HunkerDown said:
I am hoping to purchase a CHALET A-frame style pop-up trailer CHALET
Check out www.aliner.com as well, if you haven't already. If I didn't have a car trailer to haul occasionally, we'd consider one of these.

Jason

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Got this off ***********

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is an interesting roof top tent but i would like to be able to sleep inside and be able to have bikes, boats, ski rack on the roof

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been reading this forum for a while now and I actually signed up today to share this bit of useless info... Ya'll are some spoiled brats(just kiddin'). I once slept in a Honda Civic's trunk...with a girl....uuhh, long story but true story. But the moral to the story is I bet with some pillows and a blanket you could curl up in that cargo area. (I tend to wake up in the strangest places)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just thought of something. Does anyone remember those blue rectangle mats they use for gymnastics?(i remember them from P.E. in elementary school) I'm talkin the ones that have 3 sections and fold up. Well....this would be crazy if it worked...fold two of the 3 sections together and put them in the cargo area leaving the other to lay over the slightly higher, folded down backseat. Im a friggin' genius! If it doesnt fit, go get one made. Maybe one with its own pillow attached. Try this link for a look at the mat. If it doesnt work, google "folded gym mat".Folding Gym Mat

1 - 20 of 34 Posts