Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here they are side by side with the 265-70-17 BFG A/T KO's I took off.

I called Discount Tire direct every week for a month. No Grabbers and no ETA from General.
A big THANK YOU to the GM (Brian) at my local discount tire (Layton, UT) who spent an hour making phone calls and checking inventories to find me this set of 5. I know because I was on the phone with him and he would put me on hold for 5-10 min at a time while he looked and then pick up to tell me he didn't think we would find these. And after what seemed like forever he found them and charged me web price for them.
Also, thanks to the people that have them that answered my PM's about the tires, you know who you are.

These are officially 33x12.5x17. Some websites are listing them as 285's but according to Discount tire, General does not list them in metric sizes.
I chopped the body mount before I ordered them so I didn't even check how close they come. They did NOT fit with the stock UCA's. At full lock they rubbed on the front edge of the Arm.

Spacers? Discount mentioned that they are not supposed to work on vehicles with spacers installed but would be happy to sell me some wheels with the correct backspacing. That was VERY nice of them to offer to sell me wheels....

Instead I bought some Camburg Uniballs from FJNewb and installed them last night. (I waited like 2 weeks after the first test fitting to get the UCA's in and the missing hardware from Camburg so I stayed up late to do the swap last night).
Even with the new arms, the tires almost rub at full lock.
The rear tire mounted without incident and is noticeably heavier than the stock Dunlop I had on there.

The road noise is slightly more noticeable, but it's like a throaty growl (I find it makes me smile)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice! I'm hoping to score a set of these for my '08 TT.

Do you have any lift on your rig? I'm going to get a 3" revtek I think, and am not sure if they'll fit as is or if I'll still need a body chop.

Any help out there would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They are painted graphite but I've been scheming to paint them bronze as soon as the weather here gets nice. That pic sealed the deal for sure.

I used to hate the Blue WRX's with the goldish/bronze rims. I thought they looked like a fauxlex watch or something.

Funny how tastes change in a matter of a few years.
Here is what they really look like right now:

What do you think of the bronze though?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Spacers? Discount mentioned that they are not supposed to work on vehicles with spacers installed but would be happy to sell me some wheels with the correct backspacing. That was VERY nice of them to offer to sell me wheels....)
my discount tire hassled me some but noted that i had the high quality sypder traxx that didnt reduce the thread length and they went ahead its worth a shot

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice. Glad to see it all worked out for you. I really like the way they look on your rig.
I figured you would like the way they feel under you .
:bigthumb:
Thanks again for your input on these Don. I've had tire envy ever since I drove my truck off the lot in 2007. For the first time I can say there is not another tire I'd rather have (except maybe your 35"s lol)

Bronze would look sweet. Not the WRX gold, but definately a bronze!
We'll see what this weekend brings. If I have some extra time and 12 bucks I might be posting up photos of bronze rims.

my discount tire hassled me some but noted that i had the high quality sypder traxx that didnt reduce the thread length and they went ahead its worth a shot
Skibumm (Greg) said his local shop in Salt Lake hassled him a little and he pointed out that they are totally legal in Utah and they proceeded to mount his tires. I think it's mostly a bridge they use to sell wheels... I do like the look spacers give you. They fit without right now so I think I'll just save up for the long travel kit and get the same wider stance with added super powers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the help, and great looking rig you've got!

Just to clarify... you have spydertraxx spacers and also longer upper ca's?

Do you need the longer uca's because of the spacer?

Or would you need the uca's regardless?

I've never lifted anything with ifs, so these issues are all new to me.

And the search is my friend I know, but tips would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yah, you can weld the plate into the chopped mount later??? That sounds risky, no?
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help, and great looking rig you've got!

Just to clarify... you have spydertraxx spacers and also longer upper ca's?

Do you need the longer uca's because of the spacer?

Or would you need the uca's regardless?

I've never lifted anything with ifs, so these issues are all new to me.

And the search is my friend I know, but tips would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yah, you can weld the plate into the chopped mount later??? That sounds risky, no?
:cheers:
No spacers

Might not need UCA's with spacers installed but might rub more on the body mount at full turn.

I had been meaning to do the UCA's ever since lifting it, timing just never worked out.

On the body mount, the cut now -weld later, I'm not concerned about for around the town stuff. I'll get them welded up before I attempt anything hardcore. I know some people just cut, paint and forget. I can see the added strength of having it boxed it so I plan to get it done sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up finding the 4.5 inch bolts at a local nut & bolt specialty shop. (you can see the original 12 point bolts they sent me in the first picture. The nut screwed down on the bolt plenty good just not quite to the nut-lock. I used them to get to and from the tire shop and around town for a day or two. I was crazy worried about them backing off though and checked them every time I parked (they stayed tight the whole time)

Thanks again for the UCA's. I'm watching your new build carefully and hope to do the same thing in the next few years.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I ended up finding the 4.5 inch bolts at a local nut & bolt specialty shop. (you can see the original 12 point bolts they sent me in the first picture. The nut screwed down on the bolt plenty good just not quite to the nut-lock. I used them to get to and from the tire shop and around town for a day or two. I was crazy worried about them backing off though and checked them every time I parked (they stayed tight the whole time)

Thanks again for the UCA's. I'm watching your new build carefully and hope to do the same thing in the next few years.
Were you able to send the 12 point bolts back and get a refund, since Camburg sent you the wrong ones?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I like those tires, I have been thinking about going to the General Grabbers myself. What kind of price did you get, how do they ride, what about the road noise. My Firestone MTs have been great but they have 60k on em and the time is coming.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I really want these as my next tires... they look sooooo BEAST!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts