Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to get some bigger tires on the 80 series. The 34x10.50s look tiny on the big Cruiser. So i will be selling them.

I am thinking i will either run 36x12.50s or 37x12.50s.

I want to run some SuperSwamper TSL radials in this size for a few reasons.
1. I like SS. They are a local, Louisiana company (HQ is an hour from my house)
2. Their tread pattern is really good for the type of terrain i normally see.
3. Their 12.50 width tends to run narrow.

They aren't cheap though. About 300 a tire.

However, with the major brands TireRack sells, BFG, Goodyear, etc, through my dads business i can get wholesale prices on these. But, all of these companies tend to make their tires a little tame for my use as a secondary set of wheels for just offroad. By tame i mean they care about on road performance :)
I have been checking out the new MTRs though.

The lift i am running is the OME heavy front and rear with MAF 30mm spacer up front. I want to keep this height lift to possibly avoid any driveline vibe issues and to avoid replacing the front driveshaft with a double cardan joint.
I figure i am going to need to extend the bump stops front and rear or do a massive body lift. For right now i will probably just extend the bump stops and take the hammer/sawzall to any rubbing areas.

I know the guys at metal-tech have done some work on 80s so maybe they will chime in ;)

I'll keep this thread updated when i get my new tires (and possibly wheels) and how i made them fit.

Here is how she sits right now with 34s. They look like little baby tires :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
good stuff.

can't wait to see if you can fit 37s. that would be awesome!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll want to re-gear your diffs for that large of tires, won't you Layton?
I will see. Personally, if i am only really going to be running these tires for trail rides, i think i might be alright without regearing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have decided to get some bigger tires on the 80 series. The 34x10.50s look tiny on the big Cruiser. So i will be selling them.

I am thinking i will either run 36x12.50s or 37x12.50s.

I want to run some SuperSwamper TSL radials in this size for a few reasons.
1. I like SS. They are a local, Louisiana company (HQ is an hour from my house)
2. Their tread pattern is really good for the type of terrain i normally see.
3. Their 12.50 width tends to run narrow.

They aren't cheap though. About 300 a tire.

However, with the major brands TireRack sells, BFG, Goodyear, etc, through my dads business i can get wholesale prices on these. But, all of these companies tend to make their tires a little tame for my use as a secondary set of wheels for just offroad. By tame i mean they care about on road performance :)
I have been checking out the new MTRs though.

The lift i am running is the OME heavy front and rear with MAF 30mm spacer up front. I want to keep this height lift to possibly avoid any driveline vibe issues and to avoid replacing the front driveshaft with a double cardan joint.
I figure i am going to need to extend the bump stops front and rear or do a massive body lift. For right now i will probably just extend the bump stops and take the hammer/sawzall to any rubbing areas.

I know the guys at metal-tech have done some work on 80s so maybe they will chime in ;)

I'll keep this thread updated when i get my new tires (and possibly wheels) and how i made them fit.

Here is how she sits right now with 34s. They look like little baby tires :)
:wave:

Ok the FZJ80 is my personal trail rig and we have been building and supporting the 80 for the last 9 years. (Look at our sliders we build the the 80 - the main bodies are the same we use for the FJC, and the rub rail is now very popular for others to copy (80, 100s and now FJC's, unfortunate but they say its a form of flattery) https://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-6-fzj80-95-97-sliders.aspx)

BIG TIRES SMALL LIFT:

Bottom line for what you have described you are looking at bump stops with your current suspension. You would be allot better off if you pulled the stock fender flairs as well. (gain in height with out them) You would need to do this anyway if you are to cut the fenders. Pulling the rear flairs open up the wheel well and I personally know a 37" IROK fits nicely in there!

If you have access to welding you can cut the front fenders and raise the wheel well. I have a detailed write up on ih8mud.com from back in 05' when I first did this. Here are a few quick shots from it:

Tape off first:

Pull off and plasma cut, put back on:

Inner fender is cut into fans, and folded up, welded and extra strips of metal welded over.

Fender back on ready for paint (I went back and TIG welded closed all the fender flair holes before paint) :

The end result is a front end unrestricted from bump stops so you get full travel with the large tires.

This is Todd Kaderebek, Editor of Toyota Trails magazine running my 80 on the Rubicon back in 08'. (I drove my FJ Cruiser)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Call me crazy but I really like it the way it is. Of course I'm not thinking about this as the secondary vehicle that you have in mind. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing your 'little' monster grow up some more. :cheers:

EDIT: You said secondary wheels, I just realized... Still, I like. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
937 Posts

Here is the run down for my 80:

37" IROK radial
3.75" back spacing 17"x9" MRP steel bead locks (the 9" width really comes in at 9.75" due to the welded bead lock ring since this is a converted rim by MRP)

Lift:
OME J front and Rear w/ L shocks
Metal-tech 2" spacer in the front https://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-3-fzj80-2-pair-spacer-plates-w-hardware.aspx
Metal-tech 4* caster Plates front end

Extended brake lines
4" bump stop in the rear

5.29 Gears w/ARB air lockers front and rear (pulled the e-lockers)

The OME J lift by far out performs any of the other springs out there. The OME comp coils are considerably stiffer and have less flex. This suspension set up works flawlessly and is probably one of the cheapest set ups to do.

I strongly suggest considering swapping out your current lift (used OME lifts sell well) and putting the J springs and L shocks on. Yes you need the brake lines too, and I suggest the spacers for the front. In the end it will clear the 37's better and perform very well.

Mark

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Here's a pic of an FZJ with 37" KM2's. My friend loves them. Oddly enough, never had to balance them either. He's running 4.88 gears, since it's a daily driver and tows a trailer to FL about once a month.

Mark might recognize this rig too.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here's a pic of an FZJ with 37" KM2's. My friend loves them. Oddly enough, never had to balance them either. He's running 4.88 gears, since it's a daily driver and tows a trailer to FL about once a month.

Mark might recognize this rig too.
Not the case with ANY Interco tire! Lots of weight needed for them. The joke goes each set you buy, you get three round ones and one square one. (but the work so well off road)

I run 5 golf balls inside each of my 37's for internal balancing. Works great and they run smooth even at 80. (about as fast as I want to ever take that truck!) However when you come to a stop and the window is down you can hear the balls still spinning and bouncing to a stop. Makes for odd topic when a random passenger says "whats that" and I respond "the golf balls in the my tires"

BMThiker: Is that Brian from ACC? Looks like our sliders and our bumper on there. Good guy and great shop.

Mark

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ha-ha! yeah my LTB's had horrible road manners and got worse with each trail thrashing and each wheel had about 16oz of lead. I was just throwing the KM2 out there for consideration amongst the Interco options. I'm running 35" KM2's and so far I'm happy with them. The road noise has gotten worse since I first put them on 6 months ago, but handling is good and offroad performance is very good.

(that's [email protected]'s 80 above)

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dibs on the take-offs...depending on price.

Are the tires 16 or 17's?
The tires and wheels are being looked at/test fitted on a local guys rig in the next few days. His is stock. We are going to see if hey rub with no lift (i don't think they will). If they do rub, i' don't know if he'll buy them.

If not, they can be yours. Are you wanting the set, wheels and tires, or just tires Steve? They are 34x10.50s16LT, 16" offroad package wheels.
1 tire is 100% brand new, other 3 have ~4-5K miles.

Call me crazy but I really like it the way it is. Of course I'm not thinking about this as the secondary vehicle that you have in mind. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing your 'little' monster grow up some more. :cheers:

EDIT: You said secondary wheels, I just realized... Still, I like. :bigthumb:
Correct, second set of wheels. 80 is my primary mode of transport.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
BMThiker, thanks for the pic!

I do like the KM2. I think its a very good tread pattern on a well made tire. Though, to me, it is not as aggressive as i'd like it to be for a trails only tire (well drive to trail, wheel, drive home).

Mark, i have had some balancing trouble in the past with the LTBs. I tried heavy airsoft beads after they were traditionally balanced using weights (and were still not right). The airsoft beads did not help at all.

Did you have your tires balanced normally, then added the golf balls, or are using golf balls alone?

Here is a picture i found of an 80 on MUD running the tire i wanna run, the 36x12.50 TSL Radial next to a 40 running 37x13.50 IROKs

Edit, i also do have the Slee stainless extended brake lines, well, 5 of the 7 are on, the other two i couldn't get off. So i will take them to a shop to get removed.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
BMThiker, thanks for the pic!

I do like the KM2. I think its a very good tread pattern on a well made tire. Though, to me, it is not as aggressive as i'd like it to be for a trails only tire (well drive to trail, wheel, drive home).

Mark, i have had some balancing trouble in the past with the LTBs. I tried heavy airsoft beads after they were traditionally balanced using weights (and were still not right). The airsoft beads did not help at all.

Did you have your tires balanced normally, then added the golf balls, or are using golf balls alone?

Here is a picture i found of an 80 on MUD running the tire i wanna run, the 36x12.50 TSL Radial next to a 40 running 37x13.50 IROKs

The TSL radial would be my choice now...I would have never noticed that it runs on the skinny side for a 12:50... glad you posted that side by side...You can really see the difference! :rocker:

My Fj has become my dedicated trail rig...so I may go that route...the cost for the Toyo 37 13:50 20 that I've been considering are way out there on price compared to the TSL's...have to now check if they make a tire for a 20" rim...

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correction, those IROKs are 37"x13.50"

But yes, the Swampers do tend to run narrow. While the tire 36x12.50 is a 12.50 wide, the tread pattern is closer to 9" wide according to Interco. and 35.9" diameter.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tires only, but need 17's for my steelies.
Steve good luck finding a set right now. I believe that one of their plants shut down for some reason so they are having some back order issues right now.

I had Interco find this tire for me and get it shipped to my local dealer and it took them about a month.

As to the price of the wheels i will be selling:

34"x10.50"-16LT Super Swamper LTBs on 16" Toyota Offroad Package wheels.

1 tire is brand new, sitting in the back of my Land Cruiser just mounted the other day.
The other 3 have 4-5K miles on them and no tears, gashes, or cuts.

One of these tires mounted and balanced with tax costs $245 ( i just paid this the other day :()
So total, for all 4 new mounted and balanced would be $980.
The rims are 16" FJ Offroad package alloys. They do have a few scratches from being on the trail. From 5 ft away it is hard to notice any of the scratches. These typically sell on here for 300-400.

I'd sell just the tires for $450 or (the much better option) the tires and wheels together for $650.

I do have a local guy coming look at them and test them on his FJ with no lift to see if they rub. If they don't or it is minimal, i think he will buy them. So just a heads up.

If seriously interested in the tires, please PM me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts