Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have BFG 285/70/17 TIRES on my 4x4 2007 FJ. Would anyone recommend changing the gear ratios to get it back to the stock specification? Or is this tire size increase so minimal that it won't have any effect on freeway driving. Will I notice any difference over stock with this current setup if I do not chang the gears to a different ratio? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Not worth it. Might as well chop that body mount and get some 33X12.50s. 285s are for weak Tacomas! Just kidding. :)

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
My 285/75/17 were only about 1/2"-3/4 taller then my oem tires on a side to side comparison. The power loss you feel is the tire weight. Rotating mass will slow you up a bit.
I'm considering 35" tires and I'm debating about a regear but it would be equivalent to installing dealer option 22" wheels on my old gmc denali compared to the factory 17" tire they offered..
But like I said earlier the rotating mass will be greater and I will feel a slight power loss. I tow a lot so it will affect me a little more

·
Registered
305 Posts
Im running 35s with stock gears and the FJ drives just fine. I will eventually regear though

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'm running 35s and just got my truck re-geared to 4.88. I'm so happy with it. The shop that did the install improved the syncos between the gears and now they shift very fluid. It was totally worth $1,500 for both front and rear gears installed with fluid changes. It made my car feel like it was stock again, despite having those huge 100lb wheel and tires rotating around on the axle. It will now preform amazing off-road. Also, I lost my 6th gear on the expressway prior to doing a gear change. Now I have a ton of (torque) pull on the expressway. It feels amazing and I can't wait to tow my trailer with the new gears.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I'm running 285's with a 3" lift and I would say its not needed. I thought about re-gearing recently but with $800 in parts and $900 in labor, it was not worth it. I can get a lot more mods for that $1700. :rocker::cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts