Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people in this forum love to re-engineer their car with bigger tires. Has anyone considered among the other things that change with bigger tires, what happens to your braking power? How are you affecting stopping distance with bigger tires? Most of us use our FJ as our daily driver, not to mention the occasional trailer pulling. I just want to point out that there is a trade off when you decide to go with bigger tires, not just in MPG (which lots of people are concern about) but in other areas as well. There is more to it than just looks.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
I'm up to 33s now. Common sense would tell you bigger tires are heavier and will need more stopping distance. You will need new pads sooner if you still brake with a heavy foot.

My service guy says we'll need to check my brake wear in another 10k miles which will put me at 55k mi for my first brake service. Not too shabby for all my truck has been through.

Again, common sense goes a long way when modding.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weight is an issue, but even more important is the overall diameter, with bigger tires you are increasing the radius of the tire while keeping the radius of the brake disk. The leverage against the disks is greater, even if you had not added any weight.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Tires aren't the only reason to upgrade your brakes, excess weight is the reason.

Some people are easily 1000+lbs over stock. That's where the problem is.

Right now i am running 285s and notice no difference in stopping power over stock. Next week i'll be putting on 315's and they are only 6lbs heavier per corner than my 285's. The problem for me will still be excess weight in general, i have almost 150+lbs of gear on my roof, and probably a 300+lbs of extra stuff on, around, and underneath the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts