Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there using a spare tire mounted bike rack or hitch mount? Let me know what you think. I'm in the market for one and want to buy the best! Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yakima Hookup works great for me.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Anyone out there using a spare tire mounted bike rack or hitch mount? Let me know what you think. I'm in the market for one and want to buy the best! Thanks.
How many bikes do you plan on carrying? If it is typically just you and sometimes a friend, id say go with a spare mounted rack. If you are taking the kids or normally bike with three friends, i'd say go the hitch mounted rack.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How many bikes do you plan on carrying? If it is typically just you and sometimes a friend, id say go with a spare mounted rack. If you are taking the kids or normally bike with three friends, i'd say go the hitch mounted rack.
What Layonnn said. I have the Thule Spare Me 2 and it works great for a couple of bikes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought two bike tights for 9 bucks and a piece of flatstock(actually used a simpson strongtie) painted black the rear tire sits on the front crosspiece were I use a small bungie and I'm good to go

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just installed a Swagman XP rear tire bike rack.
Holds 2 bikes, I think they make a larger version also.
Works perfect for me..
easy to take off..
locks in 2 locations..
does not interfere with the back up sensors..
and I can open the rear door with the bikes on the rack.
Cannot be used with the tire cover obviously.

·
Registered
358 Posts
zombie, nice idea.

I like my hitch rack for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm 5'6" and I need a ladder to put bikes on the roof safely.
2) I don't have to remove the wheels from my bikes.
3) I can fit bikes down to 20" wheels.
4) I don't have worry about frame attachments
5) During the cyclocross season, I can load my muddy bike and not have to worry about storing a muddy wheel inside the truck.
6) I don't have to pay too much attention to vehicle height. I've already hit a garage in a past life and that was painful.
7) Your bike frames don't get damaged from the rack other other bikes banging against each other.

Cons:
1) It can get heavy on the tow mount.
2) It's long so I have to pay attention when parking, changing lanes, etc.
3) The full Yakima hitch was expensive.
4) You have to shut off the backup sensors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome guys thanks I think the Swagman is what I'm looking for. Great pics by the way on all the above. I love this forum. Makes it so easy to get your questions answered and obtain the correct information. So glad I bought the FJ. What a great group of guys and gals.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I Purchased the Yakima Hook-Up, although this model is discontinued....Yakima released a new model the "HOLD-UP" price is around 400 clams and the thule T2 is a pretty nice rack. I would definetly would go for a hitch mounted tray type carrier....nothing touches the frame, and if you have quite an investment on your bike, its a no brainer....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome guys thanks I think the Swagman is what I'm looking for. Great pics by the way on all the above. I love this forum. Makes it so easy to get your questions answered and obtain the correct information. So glad I bought the FJ. What a great group of guys and gals.
If your lucky you may find the Swagman @ half off on Amazon or Nashbar like I did. Found it with free shipping and depending where you are located..maybe no tax. Make sure you get the one with the universal tire mount. They sell another XP that fits spare tires that are offset like the Honda's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah, I have the Hookup and had to buy the extension a few months ago because it was discontinued. I hate that rack companies change styles making your old purchase almost obsolete.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm in the bike mount market too. I'm looking to find a good spare tire mount that holds 2 carbon fiber road bikes. Since, I go wheelin' often, I want to avoid attaching something to a hitch because of clearance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Akillez. Great pics. Sweet ride also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got the Yakima Hookup also (got it for half the price), and it works well for bikes with non standard frames. I had to use a leveling bar on my bike once for one of those trunk mounted thule bike racks and it moved way too much for me.

If you haven't already done a search or checked the "Sports/Activities" forum on the site, check it out. When I was searching for a bike rack I found some info and updated some of those threads.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I just bought a Thule hitch rack, the biggest annoyance to me is that you have to release a latch to lower the rack so you can open the rear door, which I forget to do 90% of the time and hit the rack with the door.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Put me down as another user of the Yakima Hook Up. Great rack! You will lose the use of the back-up sensors, unfortunately. And it can sometimes be annoying to have to pull the pin to lower it to get into the rear area, but I guess this is true of all hitch racks.

toby

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you have to buy a different backing plate? The unit I bought from MEC has a backing plate for "normal wheels". Swagman mentioned that I would have to buy a special backing plate for "over-sized" tires (I have stock tires). The special backing plate cost $25 (plus shipping). I just received it and was really disappointed as to the quality of workmanship - as compared to the original backing plate and carrier. When I contacted Swagman, they mention they rarely sell these and that they are made to order (and apparently hastily made).

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your lucky you may find the Swagman @ half off on Amazon or Nashbar like I did. Found it with free shipping and depending where you are located..maybe no tax. Make sure you get the one with the universal tire mount. They sell another XP that fits spare tires that are offset like the Honda's.
Did you have to buy a different backing plate? The unit I bought from MEC has a backing plate for "normal wheels". Swagman mentioned that I would have to buy a special backing plate for "over-sized" tires (I have stock tires). The special backing plate cost $25 (plus shipping). I just received it and was really disappointed as to the quality of workmanship - as compared to the original backing plate and carrier. When I contacted Swagman, they mention they rarely sell these and that they are made to order (and apparently hastily made).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts