Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just picked up a very slightly used 2010 Trail Teams and, unfortunately, my previous bike rack (a Yakima Doubledown) will not allow the rear door to fully open. I've tried reading through previous threads and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question:

What bike rack will allow the rear door to fully open when no bikes are mounted with no mods made to the hitch?

I think the Thule T2 or the Kuat NV will work but I need someone who owns either one to please confirm. Or, is there a swingout rack that will work as well? Again, I want something that will allow full access to the rear cargo space with no further mods.

Thanks in advance for your help - if you've got a link to a definitive post, that'll work too. I just couldn't seem to find one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I should have mentioned that yes, I want a hitch mount - I've got a spare tire cover and want to keep it. So preferably a platform but will consider a swingout.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The T2 only lets me open the rear door fully if I just have one bike on the rear most tray, and have it dropped down at an angle.

If I have both bikes on and I drop the rack down at an angle I can open the door maybe 50% IIRC.

I really like the T2 rack but I admit, it would be nice to be able to open the door fully with both bikes loaded.

The spare tire mount may be the best bet if thats what you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The T2 only lets me open the rear door fully if I just have one bike on the rear most tray, and have it dropped down at an angle.

If I have both bikes on and I drop the rack down at an angle I can open the door maybe 50% IIRC.

I really like the T2 rack but I admit, it would be nice to be able to open the door fully with both bikes loaded.

The spare tire mount may be the best bet if thats what you need.
I really just want to know if I can open the door fully without any bikes on it. Like for day to day use - going to the store and stuff. Or after I unload the bikes at my destination. I understand there could be limitations with the rack fully loaded. I just don't want to have to take the rack off to access the cargo area 100%. Most of the time I ride solo, so if you can use the T2 with one bike on it, that's kind of a bonus.

I just called REI where I bought the Yakima Doubledown and they said I could return it and get a different one. They were pushing the Yakima Swingdaddy... anybody have experience with that? I kind of would like a platform so I don't have to use top tube adapters since I ride full suspension bikes with some steep top tubes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You'll definitely be able to open it with the T2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll definitely be able to open it with the T2.
I just got back from REI to take a look at both the Yakima Swingdaddy and the Thule T2. The Swingdaddy is pretty impressive in terms of how far out the whole thing moves out of the way (as described by the photos above from another member). The T2 is pretty impressive in its simplicity and they were are on clearance for $100 off. All things being equal, I probably would have gone with the Yakima because it's pretty obvious it'll work, but the price and features of the Thule are hard to beat. I had him hold it for me for 24hrs so I can make my mind up. Plus, he said I could come back and throw the floor model on to make absolutely sure.

Anyone else for the Thule T2? Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been lurking on the site for some time now. Thought I may as well join. Thanks to everyone for their great ideas!!!

You can definitely open the rear door with the T2 and no bikes. I have one. It pivots down enough so that the door clears. I did modify it to swing away to the passengers side when loaded with 2 bikes to make it easier to camp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Too bad a swing bumper hasn't been made to hold T2 to swing out the same direction of the door. similar to the can and tire bumper.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ive been running a spare-mount Saris rack with good success. Its a solid mount and works great even with larger tires.

·
Registered
614 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts