Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bilstein 5100’s on my 07 with stock springs. I have added a US Off Road winch bumper and winch, RCI steel front and trans skids so the front end is about 100 lbs heavier. I do not want to lift the fj any more than I have to as I am going with BFG KO 2’s 265/70/17. I need suggestions for front and rear springs to off set the extra front weight. Use is, mild off roading on vacations in Colorado.

Ride as is is good now, but could use an improvement, thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
トヨタ Master
6,405 Posts
You aren't talking about a lot of weight. Are your old springs so worn that the height actually came down? If so you may just need a set of new OE springs or find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. Also, you didn't mention whether or not your 5100s are adjustable height. If so, there will be a retainer holding the lower spring cup to the shock body. If it is on a lower notch, you could disassemble them and raise the retainer a notch, giving you back some ride height and increase the spring rate close to stock.

Also, something like this might work if you aren't concerned about spending a lot of dough and just want the ride height back.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/TP14--Front-Top-Plate-Spacer-One-14-thick-spacer_p_351.html

The folks at ToyTec are great for figuring out a system that works with individual peramiters too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You aren't talking about a lot of weight. Are your old springs so worn that the height actually came down? If so you may just need a set of new OE springs or find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. Also, you didn't mention whether or not your 5100s are adjustable height. If so, there will be a retainer holding the lower spring cup to the shock body. If it is on a lower notch, you could disassemble them and raise the retainer a notch, giving you back some ride height and increase the spring rate close to stock.

Also, something like this might work if you aren't concerned about spending a lot of dough and just want the ride height back.

Front Top Plate Spacer (One - 1/4")

The folks at ToyTec are great for figuring out a system that works with individual peramiters too.
Thanks for the info! I have the adjustable set on 2nd notch, so truck is level. Like I said ride is good, just wondering with 115,000 mile if these original shocks would hold up with extra weight up front and the all the recovery gear and luggage during our trips. I have 5 moths before vacation so I have time to evaluate the ride. Just looking for some incite on springs and the extra weight.

·
トヨタ Master
6,405 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have the adjustable set on 2nd notch, so truck is level. Like I said ride is good, just wondering with 115,000 mile if these original shocks would hold up with extra weight up front and the all the recovery gear and luggage during our trips. I have 5 moths before vacation so I have time to evaluate the ride. Just looking for some incite on springs and the extra weight.
5100s are great for an entry level aftermarket shock absorber. I've ran them on multiple vehicles with varying capabilities and even got about 130k miles on 1 set on a lifted '99 Tacoma with winch and bumper with no problems. I would call them an ample shock for a daily driver that sees the dirt occasionally.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5100s are great for an entry level aftermarket shock absorber. I've ran them on multiple vehicles with varying capabilities and even got about 130k miles on 1 set on a lifted '99 Tacoma with winch and bumper with no problems. I would call them an ample shock for a daily driver that sees the dirt occasionally.
Thanks CabinCruiser!

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
...... find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. .....
There is no difference in springs on any of the 4x4 FJs except for the TTUE. TT or TRD are going to be exactly the same as a base spring.

OP, The Toytec front leveling springs are rated a little heavier at 620# and would likely do wonders for your ride. You could set your 5100s back down to the bottom and just use them to level the truck and hold the weight

example: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/229297-toytec-eibach-springs-5100s-front-level.html#post3353625

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no difference in springs on any of the 4x4 FJs except for the TTUE. TT or TRD are going to be exactly the same as a base spring.

OP, The Toytec front leveling springs are rated a little heavier at 620# and would likely do wonders for your ride. You could set your 5100s back down to the bottom and just use them to level the truck and hold the weight

example: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/229297-toytec-eibach-springs-5100s-front-level.html#post3353625
Thanks I’ll look into those for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts