Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Level

Votes: 109 57.4%
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading endless threads about the 5100's and it still seems fuzzy about how level the FJ is when the shocks are on the 3rd notch. So I thought I would pop a quick poll up for future people like me. So with just the front 5100's on the 3rd notch (1.75 setting) and stock rear shocks and springs or at least stock springs......... who is nose up, nose down and level? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I'm level on the 3rd notch but I have a little extra weight on the front end - a Metal Tech tube bumper with winch mount. When I add a winch, I expect that to drop the nose just a bit more.

I measured the height of the bottom of my fender flares right above the center of the wheel and I'm at 36" all around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I think I'm 37" in the back (totally stock). No extra weight in or on my FJ though. I'll have to remeasure.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Interesting, I think I'm 37" in the back (totally stock). No extra weight in or on my FJ though. I'll have to remeasure.
I still have my OEM Bridgestone H/T's so if you have taller tires, that could be the difference. Also, lifting the front transfers some weight to the back so your back springs may compress just a little.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I still have my OEM Bridgestone H/T's so if you have taller tires, that could be the difference. Also, lifting the front transfers some weight to the back so your back springs may compress just a little.
The third notch will be slightly nose up when you first get it done. The shock will settle after a while and be total level... Hope this helps...:cheers:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Mine never settled. They were 20k miles old when I changed the struts though. I sit 2.5" taller than before in the front. At the flare, I'm 1.25" taller in the front than the rear. I like it's stance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine is also on the third notch, but it still has a slight rake. It sits about 1/2 an inch lower in the front than the rear. For some perspective, it is 36.5 to the middle of the flare in the front and 37 in the rear with 265/70/17 tires. I think it all depends on your truck as to how much it will end up lifting because there are so many different results around the forum.

I would suggest setting the shocks on the second notch and then let it settle for a few days. If you want more lift then it is pretty simple to adjust while the coilovers are on the truck. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine never settled. They were 20k miles old when I changed the struts though. I sit 2.5" taller than before in the front. At the flare, I'm 1.25" taller in the front than the rear. I like it's stance.
That seems like a pretty big difference. The 1.75 settings gave you 2.5 inches lift up front?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished the install.....5100's all around. Came out level...at least by the eyeball test.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Hey guys, I have a set of 5100's from my Tacoma days still sitting in my garage. My FJ came with the 3" Revtek spacer lift. I'm hesitating to install the 5100's because I'm not sure what the final result will be. Isn't the 3rd notch the highest possible notch?

I don't want to tear into my truck because it appears that somehow they got the alignment back into spec even with the Revtek lift. When I had my 5100's on my Tacoma only on the 2nd notch my alignment shop claimed they couldn't get me back into spec without aftermarket UCA's. Anyone got some insight? I wouldn't be surprised if that alignment shop just blows. They don't see too many modified vehicles around here.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Mine had 4 notches. 0 lift, .85 lift, 1.75? lift and 2.5 lift. I used the 1.75 and it raised the front around 2 inches. I haven't got an alignment yet, will soon though.

Right. I kept looking around and remembered. I wonder if the 4th notch will leave my truck sitting at the same height as the 3" block from Revtek. I loved the ride of the 5100's vs. stock on my Tacoma. I can only imagine it'd be the same on the FJ. And the Tacoma had the TRD Bilsteins and I still liked the ride better with the 5100's

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
3rd notch worked for me. My front end was about 2 inches low. Heres the before & after:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Finished the install.....5100's all around. Came out level...at least by the eyeball test.

Before:

After:

Looks good, is this 3rd notch??

I'm getting 5100's put on the front tomorrow and remain undecided on 2nd or 3rd.
My back is about 36 1/2
and front 34 1/2 ...give or take a hair. ...these numbers similar to y'all ??

It seems 3rd (1.75) is the way to go but trying to avoid the front being a tad higher.
Much appreciate insights. :cheers:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I just put in 5100s and the 3rd notch is perfectly level to the eye. I think a tape measure would reveal a fraction of an inch higher in the front however. My rear shocks / springs are still the basic oem 60K mile old ones though!

Go 3rd notch to level any stock FJ. 2nd would be a waste of time IMO

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just put in 5100s and the 3rd notch is perfectly level to the eye. I think a tape measure would reveal a fraction of an inch higher in the front however. My rear shocks / springs are still the basic oem 60K mile old ones though!

Go 3rd notch to level any stock FJ. 2nd would be a waste of time IMO
I think your probably right. I'm at 40k miles. Just trying to avoid a reverse rake .
That and someone at Toytec mentioned the ride might be a bit better at 2nd notch due to less coil pressure if I remember correctly.
That kinda made me wrestle with this a bit as I have some spine issues and hoping for a ride that's improved as much as possible. But, the rake improvement at 2nd notch would be minimal it seems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good, is this 3rd notch??

I'm getting 5100's put on the front tomorrow and remain undecided on 2nd or 3rd.
My back is about 36 1/2
and front 34 1/2 ...give or take a hair. ...these numbers similar to y'all ??

It seems 3rd (1.75) is the way to go but trying to avoid the front being a tad higher.
Much appreciate insights. :cheers:
I did the 3rd notch at first and it was very very slightly higher in the front. I didn't like it so I put it down to the 2nd and it is slightly lower in the front now, I'm much happier with it in the 2nd notch.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I just had to go measure....

On the 3rd notch I am at 36 1/2" at both front arches and 36 5/8" at both rear arches.

So I have exactly 1/8" rake. Perfect.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just had to go measure....

On the 3rd notch I am at 36 1/2" at both front arches and 36 5/8" at both rear arches.

So I have exactly 1/8" rake. Perfect.
Good to hear.
Just dropped it off at the dealership & going w/ 3rd based on my rake.
Hope I get a similar result!

I did the 3rd notch at first and it was very very slightly higher in the front. I didn't like it so I put it down to the 2nd and it is slightly lower in the front now, I'm much happier with it in the 2nd notch.
Maybe each FJ has a "slightly" different rake?
Mine pre 5100's is close to 2" ...so hoping notch 3 is not slightly higher for me.
Thanks.

I'll post a pic in a day or 2!..........

1 - 20 of 137 Posts