Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to add about 150-175lbs to the front of my FJ and I've been researching various options for leveling it in the front. I have stock shocks now, not the Bilsteins.

I found a thread from a couple years ago that gave spring rates for stock and OME springs and there appears to be very little difference. It looks like the 883, 884 and 885 are all only 2% stiffer than stock and they just change the strut preload because they're longer. That's why I'm thinking about just using my stock springs and adjusting the Bilstein 5100's to change the preload.

I stood on my bumper to simulate the extra weight I'm going to put on there and that compressed the suspension about 1.25". I don't want the front to be too high when I load up the back so I think 2 or 2.5" of lift in the front will make it just about the way I want it and that should be do-able with the 5100s.

The only thing that makes me nervous about doing this is all the threads dealing with it are a couple years old now. Did people try it and decide it doesn't work very well? Has anyone tried this and found a high-end coilover really is worth 4-5x the price? BTW, I don't do any extreme wheeling. Mostly pretty easy desert trails.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Brianh,

I am running 5100,S on the third notch with full skids (AllPro IFS Aprox 54LBS) trans skid, Toy Outfitters front bumber Aprox 70-75 lbs heaver than stock bumper (stock 30lbs I weighed every thing I took off) and when the winch and mount are on it that is 80lbs

Bumper and skid aprox 129LBS front settled 3/8"

Bumper and skid and with winch 209lbs it sags about 5/8" total.

this is how the truck sits at the current time
5100'S third notch rear +11/4" +15% Coil spring Spec rear coils rear Bilstein shocks

this is how it looked with stock front bumper 5100'S third notch stock rear springs w/ silver Bilstein Shocks

I am getting ready to change the front springs and put ebach 620# from TOY Tec with no preload and 1/4" top plate spacers on the 5100'S which should give me 2-2 1/4' of lift. i am also putting on Light racing upper control arms. with the extra weight I feel that it will ride better with the stiffer front springs. it rides good but I want it to be firmer . that said we will see how it works out. I should have the new springs and control arms installed very soon. we will see how this experment works out. I can tell you that the 5100"s make a big change in how the truck rides it is much better.
I would not want to add any more weight up front than I have with the stock springs.

the reason I used the rear springs that I did was the stock springs were to soft when I have all of my recovery gear and winch and cooler in the back. but i did not want to lift the back 2-2 1/2" and the fact that i am running 265-75r/ 16 tires and do not plan I going any larger. the Plus 15% springs ride great in the back.

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Here is a pic with 5100'S third notch stock rear springs Bilstein siver off road package rear shocks Toy Outfitters front bumper and full skids.

JKFJ08

·
Registered
535 Posts
I noticed in the third pic you have the stock bumper still. What notch is it set at in that pic?

Ooops sorry i didnt read in between the pics

D

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Golden,

they are all on the third notch. I have not moved them since the original install.

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all that info JKFJ08. I'm going to give the 5100s a try. They seem to be out of stock in a lot of places but Tire rack had the cheapest price I could find and had them in stock. I got a "shipped" notice in my e-mail about 2 hours after I ordered them too.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Golden,

265/75r-16 stock size

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Brianh,

the 5100's have 4 notches 1st= stock 2ND=.85 3rd=1.75 4th=2.5
i could not find much info about the ebach springs on this forum. alot of the tacoma guys run them with 5100'S and they preload them on the second notch but you can not go past the second notch. when you get a bumber and winch you can always upgrade the springs if you are unhappy with the ride or it settles more that you want. also you may want to watch for a used pair of the silver offroad package rear shocks if you have stock shocks in the back in the for sale section of the forum . you will feel a difference in the ride and those work very well on and off road if you want to keep the stock height in the rear.

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got this done over the weekend and just got some pics loaded. Sorry the pics aren't great. I just took them in my garage after I was done. Hopefully I'll get some action shots next weekend.

I think it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the all the info JKFJ08 provided. Once I get a winch on the bumper, it'll probably drop the front a little but I think it'll still be ok.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
brianh,

this is what you have to look foward to.

Metal Tech , Warn M8000, Master pull Syn Line

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I've still got some work to do but it'll get there. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put on a Body Armor front bumper, around 75# and no winch and have the Billstein 5100s coming in. What do you guys think is the correct position for the shocks, 2 or 3?

·
Registered
10 Posts
For anyone who is curious, I put it on the 3rd notch which ended up with the front 1/2 lower than the rear which I think is about perfect.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I just added an xrc8 winch to the FJ 'cause the all-pro bumper just didn't look right without one. It looks like the front end dropped about an inch so it's time to adjust the suspension. Looks like the 5100s (notch 3) will be the best bet for now. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're putting any extra weight on the front, I think 3rd notch for sure. Just as an update after about a year, my setup is working great. I'm a big fan of the level with 285s. You could go with more lift but you'll buy yourself CV axle issues and you still won't be able to clear much more than 285s anyway.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Brianh,
Thanks for the input. it's good to hear that the setup works fine after a year of running on it. The Bilsteins are shipping today so the install will be in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts