Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 fj 4x4 and I want to at least level the front and maybe a little higher. I am considering the adjustable shocks rather than spacers. I want to stay with the 265 tires but worried it will look funny. Any advise for a crazed FJ owner.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 2010 fj 4x4 and I want to at least level the front and maybe a little higher. I am considering the adjustable shocks rather than spacers. I want to stay with the 265 tires but worried it will look funny. Any advise for a crazed FJ owner.
I would just put a new coil spring on the front to level it out. It will improve the ride/handling quality over leveling with a spacer and the coil is only about $30 more than a spacer. If you're leaving the 265's on, I think leveling just the front would give it a good look. If you're planning to do shocks also then I would do a complete 3" lift, IMO the best performance improvement for the buck, plus a multitude of option available out there. My preference is new coil springs all the way around over using spacers to give the rig a lift.

Toytec/Eibach front coil lift springs - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Cheapest and fastest solution is 3/4" lift spacers from Toytec.. 64 dollars shipped after forum discount if i am not mistaken. It gives pretty much perfect level. But over time coils settle and you will be sagging in the front again :)

Better solution is bilstein 5100s, they have 4 settings and will allow you from 0 to 2.5" lift. Needless to say that they are much much better ride then stock shocks. I would replace rear shocks too, if budget allows. By the way... if you have OFF Road pkg, you might have Bilstein off road tuned shocks already. Double check that. They are silver/blue.

Bottom line, your choices depend on your budget and your definition of leveling. :bigthumb: Just my 02c

·
Registered
535 Posts
I dont understand. Why does Eibach not make a compelete lift system for our trucks? They are into suspension right? I remember buying a full lowering system for my Mustang GT. It came with springs/shocks/sways/bump stops.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'm not picky on the method, but aesthetically, it'll look fine. Heck, I'm running a 3" lift and still have the 265's for now. At this point, they look a little small to me, but no one else has given it a second glance. I think you'd be more than fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the 5100's and the ride ,and handling is very noticable over stock. Plus you can't beat the life time warranty of the Bilstein product.
Also consider when you have warranty work at the dealer. All they will see is new shocks, not spacer's. Find them on sale here: Downsouth Motorsports - King Shocks - Fox Shocks - Bilstein Shocks Tell them you are a forum member for a discount.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
sorry, i know this is an old thread and recently decided to finally level my FJ. upon researching here I've decided that I'm going with the Bilstein 5100 front adj coilovers. I just wanted to know if this will also fix the lean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry, i know this is an old thread and recently decided to finally level my FJ. upon researching here I've decided that I'm going with the Bilstein 5100 front adj coilovers. I just wanted to know if this will also fix the lean?
I installed 5100 on my 2012 and it vastly improved the ride and stance set at 3rd groove. but is does nothing for the lean. still very worth it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you Bonomonster and gns57!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If it's just the 5100's you'll still have the lean, but if it's the adjustable coilovers from Toytec that go with the 5100's, then you can adjust the lean out. Mine is dead level from left to right.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did 5100's all around with 2" superflex in the back. The ride is better than stock. Here's a picture after the lift, but before making it to the tire shop. I think it'll look completely fine for you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How come some just get 5100 fronts vs all four? Is there a big difference between the two options? If I understand it correctly, to get a 3" lift, one needs 5100s all the way around with after market rear coils?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm not an expert but this is what I've gathered so far.

If you want level, you do front 5100's at 3rd notch for 2" lift front. Some get a negative rake this way. Don't know if this can be attributed to not having the bilstein from the offroad package ? I have the offroad pack with the non adjustable bilstein front and rear, so I'm just adding the adjustable fronts. I guess if you didn't have the offroad pack it would make sense to add the 5100s rear to match the fronts? The 5100s for the rear as are not adjustable.

Then if you want to go higher you can bump the fronts to 4th notch for 2.5" lift tops, and either go with 1.5 spacers in the back since the back is 1" taller already, 1.5" rear spacers combined with 5100's front at 2.5" would make the fj level at 2.5" front/back overall.

Or you can add 2" rear springs and match the spring rate with 5100s rear, or similar matched shock, for a total of 3" back, and add .5" spacer front to bring the 5100's to 3" s well.

Or add adjustable coilovers front and rear that can be adjusted to3" overall.

Hope I got right cause I'll do 5100's front with 1.5's rear spacers soon :) for a total of 2.5" lift overall.

Later on I'll add the 2" rear springs, remove the spacer, and use a larger shock and do something to match the setup for the front/rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,925 Posts
Sort of. Shocks (dampers) do nothing to determine where the truck sits. You can compress them by hand for the most part, thus they are not going to raise the rear one bit even if they are Bilsteins....THEY SIMPLY DAMPEN. Getting the rear 5100 shocks is advantageous if you are using a spacer or lift spring in the back as I believe they offer a little more travel, where OE shocks would top-out during droop.

You cannot really achieve a full 3" lift using 5100s alone up front (w/ stock springs). You can add the little 3/4" trim packer spacers to the 5100s to get that little bit more.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The 5100's offer a little over a 1/4" more travel from stock. This doesn't sound like a lot, but if you lift the rear more than 1", either with springs or with spacers, or if you get coils that flex further than stock coils, that 1/4" keeps you from bottoming and topping out. I have been running 5100's with super flex coils for well over a year, and the stock shocks (even TT Bilsteins) would most likely have been destroyed by now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The front Bilsteins are 1" longer than the stock ones, which give about 40 mm (1 5/8") more downtravel. Measured by myself.
That is good to know.... I remember someone posting somewhere that it was only a 1/4". Could they have been referring to the Bilsteins that come stock on TT models?

·
Banned
72 Posts
Seems that Toytec offers these Superflex rear coils with OME's 60020 rear shock. Why not just go that route? These replace the OME N71E AND N74E shocks.
Part #, compressed, extended & travel length
60020--14.9--24.6--9.7"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts