Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This has been bothering me for few months now, so I'm asking for other people's two cents. I went to a reputable shop and took my stock FJ in to get my front lower control arms replaced and 5100s installed. That's it. I asked them to level the vehicle, and they did with no problems. Truck looks great and I really don't think I need any more suspension modifications at this time. However, I just feel like the ride quality is dramatically worse. So much so in fact, that my girlfriend doesn't like riding in the FJ on long trips, as it makes her car sick. I also feel the roughness just driving around town when I go over rough pavement or potholes. Just wondering if maybe it's because I am still running stock springs? Do I need new adjustable UCAs to fix this? Orrr are Bilstein 5100s/off-road optimized shocks just noticeably siffer than street shocks? Maybe it's the lower control arms? (I have no idea what brand the shop put in). I was running Monroe shocks for years prior. I went with these shocks because they seem to be a great value for the money and the reviews are awesome. I'm just not getting the hype in my experience. Would like to know other peoples' thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just installed 5100s on the 3rd notch (1.75") and brand new Toyota coils in the front and 1" eibach coils and 5100s in the rear. (I've had the same setup on my 2011 4runner for 5 years or so) I haven't gotten it aligned yet, so haven't driven it very far, but the ride quality is superior to the stock suspension. Everyone perceives ride quality differently, but I do not consider this a harsh ride. It's not a cadillac either. It's very smooth and controlled. It is a little stiffer, but if your teeth are rattling driving down a road there's something wrong. Are you sure the shop didn't install new coils? Which notch is the spring hanger set to on the front strut? What tires are you running and at what PSI? Your lower control arms should have no effect on stiffness or ride quality. Aftermarket upper control arms are only really needed for adding more caster to the alignment after a lift if you can't get it back to spec. There should be a number stamped into the bottom of the strut, you can check that number to see if it's the right strut for the FJ. There's been a shortage of Billstein shocks everywhere over the past 6+ months, so hopefully they installed the correct strut.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wonder if they installed the spring perch upside down? How much lift did you get from it? With the spring perch upside down you will get a lot of lift and a very stiff suspension. Like rock hard teeth jarring. Don’t ask how I know.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts