Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 1/2 years ago I put a set of 5100's on all 4 corners, leveled the front (Notch 3) of my 07 4x4 FJ, and left everything else stock. Over the past year or so Ive been getting a lot of creaking, popping and squeaking from the front end of the truck, mostly on the drivers side, and mainly through braking while turning. I think my stock UCA's are going bad and need to be replaced, which makes me think…is it finally time to lift? And if so whats the most cost effective and quality route (not really interested in spacers) Should I keep the 5100's which have about 38,000 miles on them and get new springs and UCA's from toytec? or just go with a whole new kit from lets say OME? Im really only looking for a 2.5 to 3 inch lift so I can fit 285's.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I don't think you can lube the stock UCA/ball joints. Asking "which lift do I go with" here can get you 1,000 answers. The first question you should look at is what is your budget. A non-spacer lift will start somewhere around $800-1K and go up from there. Second is your mix of highway vs off road. What do you really want from a lift kit?

My biggest piece of advice is spend once. If your rig us usable, gather the funds to do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I had about 80,000 on my 5,100's. They were also pounded on pretty hard. If that noise is what I am thinking it is from the description you gave. It sounds like your stock U.C.A. Ball joints are dry.
Mine did that also, check the rubber boots for cracks were the grease seeped out. I used my 'bicycle' grease gun to shoot some grease into the cracks. If that is the case, that should take care of the squeak. While you are there, check that 19mm nut that holds the UCA to the shock tower. I have seen those become loose.
As much fun i had with those, i kick myself for waiting on my current Fox set up.

Reactions: Vegas_Nick

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Yeah...need to find the culprit first. UCAs are a super easy change....LCAs not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts