Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m swapping out my front coilovers on my ’07 FJ and want to go with Bilstein 6112s. I’m seeing 3 different part numbers on different vendor websites, bilstein’s website, and threads in this forum.

With how popular the 6112 setup has become I’m hoping some folks can weigh in on which setup they ordered and why so I don’t buy the wrong gear.

Bilstein’s Website lists 2 part numbers for the FJ:
Link

Part Number: 46-227287
Series: B8 6112
Notes:
- Front Lift Height: 0.6-3.2"

Part Number: 47-284142
Notes:
  • Front Lift Height: 2.1-3.1"
  • For 150-200 lbs additional front weight

Shock Surplus Lists:
Link

Part Number: 47-284142
Notes:
  • 2.2” Lift height @ circlip 6/4 for driver passenger side respectively.

Excel Suspension Lists:
Link

Part Number: 46-227294
Series B8 6112
Notes:
  • 2.5” Lift @ Circlip #5 on both sides
I’m concerned that the same part number (47-284142) on Bilstein’s website and Shock Surplus’ website render different amounts of lift.

I currently have a 3 inch rough country lift (front and back) that has been on my FJ for 5 or 6 years and 40K miles that I have been happy with. I have a full ricochet skid kit and aftermarket roof rack that adds some weight but not much. Me, my girlfriend, and 2 dogs and some gear weigh around 400lbs. I don’t expect my rig to measure out to exactly 3 inches of lift with the weight, but I don’t want to add 2.2” inches of lift and get 1.5” once the added weight settles.

My goal is to maintain 3 inches of lift in the front while swapping coil overs.

· fka BLACK HAWK
3,861 Posts
I would do more research to verify the 6112's are compatible with the '07-'09 FJ's... and with 5100's, 6112's, "lift" is dependant on the Spring Seat Position. 47-284142 reads that they come with a stiffer spring rate to accommodate more weight up front from a winch bumper and winch

· Registered
693 Posts
I recently had a question about my 6112 setup and contacted Bilstein directly. I started with their website message box but ended up corresponding with a guy named Joe in their tech sales group.

Maybe start by emailing: [email protected]. That's where my inquiry got directed.

ps. I think there is only one 6112 damper (now with 7 spring seat choices - earlier variants like mine have 5), and then different springs... the normal 600LB springs and then heavier duty springs like 650lb springs for those who need a higher spring rate on the front for heavy loads. The Bilstein part numbers are a kit of a damper and spring set. So what you are likely seeing is a couple of different kits with different springs (and bad product descriptions). Best to contact Bilstein and sort it out. As far as springs go, I have the 600Lb spring and they are plenty stiff, even if you put a winch on the front. Recently adding a winch made zero difference to my ride height.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently had a question about my 6112 setup and contacted Bilstein directly. I started with their website message box but ended up corresponding with a guy named Joe in their tech sales group.

Maybe start by emailing: [email protected]. That's where my inquiry got directed.

ps. I think there is only one 6112 damper (now with 7 spring seat choices - earlier variants like mine have 5), and then different springs... the normal 600LB springs and then heavier duty springs like 650lb springs for those who need a higher spring rate on the front for heavy loads. The Bilstein part numbers are a kit of a damper and spring set. So what you are likely seeing is a couple of different kits with different springs (and bad product descriptions). Best to contact Bilstein and sort it out. As far as springs go, I have the 600Lb spring and they are plenty stiff, even if you put a winch on the front. Recently adding a winch made zero difference to my ride height.
Thanks for the contact info. I reached out to shock surplus and they're recommending 47-284142 for my 2007 (this part number is for 07-09). I'll have to inquire about which springs specifically come with this but I would assume it's the 650lb since Bilstein says this part number is for 150lb-200lb added weight.

Which circlips did you use and did you achieve the advertised lift?

· Registered
693 Posts
Thanks for the contact info. I reached out to shock surplus and they're recommending 47-284142 for my 2007 (this part number is for 07-09). I'll have to inquire about which springs specifically come with this but I would assume it's the 650lb since Bilstein says this part number is for 150lb-200lb added weight.

Which circlips did you use and did you achieve the advertised lift?
The setup I inherited with my truck is a little unusual and I’m still sorting out what to with it… Help me ID my suspension setup...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.