Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it were a good or bad idea to put an aftermarket bumper on bilstien 5100s with the stock springs that came with the FJ. I was planning on buying the coilovers up front anyway, but I was just curious!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I just did it so I hope so. I only have about 10 miles of driving with them on but I like them so far. I didn't want a lift, just a level and I think these are a good way to go for that.

I got the Metal-Tech bumper through the group buy and put it on Saturday. With the winch plate and no winch yet, it weighs around 50 pounds more than stock I think (I didn't weigh everything though).

I set the Bilsteins up on the 3rd notch which is supposed to give you 1.75" of lift. Even with the heavier bumper, I got 2" of lift in front. My fenderwells in front and back are now the same height (36") so I'm going to leave it that way for now.

Visually it looks just a tiny bit higher in the front than the back. But I think when I put a 75 lb winch on it, that will make the front drop 1/2" or so. That's about where I'd like it to be.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was wondering if it were a good or bad idea to put an aftermarket bumper on bilstien 5100s with the stock springs that came with the FJ. I was planning on buying the coilovers up front anyway, but I was just curious!
It is not a bad idea, but you are going to go back to the stock rack with the bumper and the 5100's. The question is what are you going for? What kind of aftermarket bumper, tube or fully enclosed? If you want a lift or to level, the 5100 will not get you there with a heavy front bumper without stronger springs.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
It is not a bad idea, but you are going to go back to the stock rack with the bumper and the 5100's. The question is what are you going for? What kind of aftermarket bumper, tube or fully enclosed? If you want a lift or to level, the 5100 will not get you there with a heavy front bumper without stronger springs.:cheers:
I did some research on this and it seems most of the aftermarket springs are not much stiffer, just longer. They give you lift by raising the preload on the strut which is the same thing the 5100s do by moving the spring perches up.

I agree if you want a 3" lift, 5100s are not the way to go. For a level, they seem ok unless you want to be able to fine tune the stance or do some really high speed off-roading.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not really looking for much lift, I only put the Bilstiens on for the level look, but I am very interested in the Expedition one Bumper, so I imagine that will weigh it down a good bit, but my Bilstiens are also on the 4th notch, so maybe it wont bring them down all the way? (If and when I put a winch on there though, It could weigh it down much more) If I were to put some heavier duty springs on my 5100s to keep it level, what kind do you think are the best?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
A heavier bumper and winch will bring the front end down a little. Probably around an inch with stock springs - give or take.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am not really looking for much lift, I only put the Bilstiens on for the level look, but I am very interested in the Expedition one Bumper, so I imagine that will weigh it down a good bit, but my Bilstiens are also on the 4th notch, so maybe it wont bring them down all the way? (If and when I put a winch on there though, It could weigh it down much more) If I were to put some heavier duty springs on my 5100s to keep it level, what kind do you think are the best?
I would start looking through other people threads on this. I think I remember that on the forth notch with a steel bumper people were only getting the stock rack back. You can use OME 883 in front to try to handle the added weight and get it level after the bumper. :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did some research on this and it seems most of the aftermarket springs are not much stiffer, just longer. They give you lift by raising the preload on the strut which is the same thing the 5100s do by moving the spring perches up.

I agree if you want a 3" lift, 5100s are not the way to go. For a level, they seem ok unless you want to be able to fine tune the stance or do some really high speed off-roading.
Even though OME 884, 885, 886 are the same length (all will give ~2.5 inches in lift) 886's are way stiffer to handle more weight up front than 884's are. It is not just about the lenth of the coil, but the spring load of that coil that matters. If you have OME 886 upfront with no added weight, you will get a really stiff riding 2.5 inch lift compared to a more stock riding OME 884 that will also give you a 2.5 inche lift. Hope that helps.:wave:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! That helps a lot, maybe my best plan of action is to slap the bumper on there and see what I think, then I'll probably end up going with the OMEs. The 883's sound like a good way to go!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Even though OME 884, 885, 886 are the same length (all will give ~2.5 inches in lift) 886's are way stiffer to handle more weight up front than 884's are. It is not just about the lenth of the coil, but the spring load of that coil that matters. If you have OME 886 upfront with no added weight, you will get a really stiff riding 2.5 inch lift compared to a more stock riding OME 884 that will also give you a 2.5 inche lift. Hope that helps.:wave:
This isn't true according to the specs from Cruiser Outfitters...
OME883 375mm, 590lbs/in
OME884 385mm, 590lbs/in
OME885 395mm, 590lbs/in
OME886 402mm, 660lbs/in

The stockers have a 580 lb/in rate according to a couple posts I found here on the forum so the 883, 884 & 885 are not much stiffer, just longer.

A lot of the expensive coil-overs I could find specs for use a spring in the 600-620 lb/in range. That's a little stiffer than stock but still well under 10% stiffer.

That was my reasoning for keeping the stock springs and using the 5100s to level. So far I'm pretty happy with the results.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts