Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I’ve been a new proud 07 FJ owner for about a year and got the mod bug. So in planning to lift my fj cruiser and I purchased Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts which are adjustable, and a set of Wheelers coils (eibach made) that have a 1.5” lift on the back and 1.75” on the front.
My question: When I install the shocks, should I adjust them to a higher setting, or keep them at the lowest setting? Ultimately I’m looking for a 1.5-2.5 lift to give my skids a little bit of clearance and fit a larger tire.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not knowing your use for the vehicle. Don't know if anything is already installed bumpers stuff like that. Don't know your expectations. Don't know your goals. Don't know what you know. Start med settings and play with it. Somebody following will post some numbers to the nearest tenth. That should if used be a base setting. Play with the setting and improve on it to get what you like. Whatever you do don't get some numbers from someone's keyboard,set yours up that way and never change them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good questions Sparky;

The vehicle is purely for off-roading.
The are stock bumpers with a bull bar on the front. Im considering adding a smaller winch in the front.

My expectations would be to keep up on amateur trails and stop hearing the grind of rocks against my skid plates ( I added ARB plates since)
. So I’m looking for 2 inches of clearance to add some larger tires.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe that if you research the 5100 settings you'll learn that, with those springs, Bilstein recommends not going higher than the 2nd notch on the adjustment. In your case, it looks like the new front and rear springs will level the vehicle (ish) from the stock stance, and so you may not want to dial any lift into the front shocks. IIRC, the rear 5100s are not adjustable for height.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This might help. It's a guide for Eibach's 2" springs with their 5100 type shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts