Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a complete set of Pathfinder AT's (285/70/17) from Discount tire.
I am taking them back because:
1. THEY SUCK IN THE RAIN! Here in DFW today we are getting pounded with rain. These tires are all over the place. I have to have a decent rain tire.
2. The installers used about 30lbs of lead to balance them out. I have never seen a tire need so much lead to balance out.
3. They are fairly loud, not bad but these tires are not aggressive enough for me to have to put up with hwy hum.

So I called my local Discount tire, told them that I wanted to return the tires...
AND that they scratched the hell out of my rims.
They recommended I switch to a Nitto Terra Grappler? You guys like this tire or am I trading off one set of problems for another.
Should I raise hell about the rims? Or just let it go??

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
The Nitto's are a great tire, I run the A/T's TG they have a new tire just introduced, it's between a A/T and M/T. Good luck on getting your schratched rims replaced. You must walk around and point out any blems before they do work and let them see you taking pictures then they will be very careful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got the terra grapplers in 285/70/17....I think they are great...and seemed do just fine in the rain..and noise is minimal at high speed

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Nitto's unless you plan to play in the mud.

Post up some pics of the damage to the rims. Might be worth having them upgrade you to a 295 at no additional cost.

Did you go to the one off Rufe Snow, 377 or Davis Blvd? I have received excellent service from the one on Davis near North Tarrant Pkwy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rufe Snow....
The hole in the wall.

I repaired the damage last night. (touched them up with Duplicolor)

But today with it raining cats and dogs I had to drive into Arlington. These tires hydroplaned like they won the hydroplaning award or something.

So the 295/70/17 TG's are now on order. I wonder if I have to go to the same store for service?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Did you check your pressure n the tires?

I had my BFG at's installed at a large tire store. After about a day or two of feeling like they were all over the road, i checked the pressure. Every tire was filled to 60psi!!!!!!
Lowered them to 40 and all was good.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I love the TG's. very quite on road not much slip in the rain, but I typically have it in 4X4 when its raining or still pretty wet. haven't gotten any hydroplaning at all. I run mine at about 35psi I believe.

I think you will be pretty happy with them. I may try their Mud Terrains when I replace these.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
^^^Dallas Fort Worth^^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts