Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, made a trip to Ouray over Labor Day weekend.

Ran Black Bear and back over Imogene on Saturday.

Here is what we came across. According to the reports we missed this accident by less than 30min. It is about 25 yards after you cross the creek after the very first switch back. There is glass and other misc items on the trail (at the point where I am taking the pic and you can see both the FJ and the Jeep). Not sure if he tried to come off the upper area and lost control or if he tried to "HIGHSIDE" the little crack and flopped. The FJ slid a bit at this part, but not enough to flop me.
:surprise
????

:surprise

·
Registered
958 Posts
I heard the driver was okay. I believe there is either another thread about this or perhaps I read about it on the FJ Cruiser group on Facebook.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Report says no one was hurt - Very happy to hear that.

What the pics don't really give justice too, is the fact that the boulder holding the jeep is one of few that could have stopped this from getting worse, much worse. There are only a handful of rocks that could have stopped this from going to the bottom.

Scary. We are glad we didn't see it, as I had NEWBs in the FJ that have never even been off-road.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
None Injured In Rollover On Mountain Pass « CBS Denver

It is about 25 yards after you cross the creek after the very first switch back.
Thanks for the extra photos and description, had seen the story in a few places but the picture angle was bad so I couldn't tell where it happened. We had an incident at this same spot two years ago at Summit on my Black Bear run, one of the drivers caught a rock on their driver side that pulled the steering wheel left and the correction almost rolled the truck off the right edge.

Based on the orientation of the vehicle as it's resting and the hill/slope I'm guessing that it rolled with its hood facing uphill in a line roughly parallel to the trail itself. So they (edit) may (/edit) have put one side off, cut the wheel hard left and gassed it.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Just crawled the rocks on the left and kept going. Kind of strange, and very calm. Not even a yell.

If your going to roll on Black Bear, that is the place to do it I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts