Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i'll be in Telluride, Durango Ouray over the next week and want to try Black Bear Pass. My FJ is stock however, will i be ok. Just worried about the "steps" not sure if i have enough ground clearance.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Guys, i'll be in Telluride, Durango Ouray over the next week and want to try Black Bear Pass. My FJ is stock however, will i be ok. Just worried about the "steps" not sure if i have enough ground clearance.

TIA

You can do it. Need to watch your tires. The rocks can be sharp. I’m in Ridgway and my be available as a guide if I don’t go camping on the Flat Tops. PM me when you are planning to try it. I saw a VW Synchro Van do it on 30 inch tires a couple of years back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
How was it? How did the stock gears do on the steps? Did you have to break a ton on the way down the steps? Or were you able to creep down most of it?
Anyone else can chime in on this as well if they have experience.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How was it? How did the stock gears do on the steps? Did you have to break a ton on the way down the steps? Or were you able to creep down most of it?
Anyone else can chime in on this as well if they have experience.
The "steps" aren't really anything to be worried about. Don't need much clearance for them either. Here's a short clip:

This was with stock height/stock tires. I think I was in 4-Low and helped with brakes, but not a ton.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Totally do-able in stock form. Agree you need to make sure your brakes are in good shape. Just do exactly what the spotters tell you on the steps and you’ll be fine!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Totally do-able in stock form. Agree you need to make sure your brakes are in good shape. Just do exactly what the spotters tell you on the steps and you’ll be fine!
Yep, no problem. My only advice is to stop and get out to take pictures before the descent, as the view can be very distracting, to your detriment.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Word of advice.........don't do what this guy did:
Same spot that got a 4Runner a few years back:

Pretty easy to understand when you see the front view of when they got it back upright:

Big hole, tilt, and wheel turned the wrong way.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Pretty easy to understand when you see the front view of when they got it back upright:

I almost bit it there too. Keep far left!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts

I almost bit it there too. Keep far left!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did Black bear in 1997 or 98 in a Pathfinder MT. Having a MT vs AT will affect your approach to the steps. In an MT, the Pathfinder was about a 1:27 or so ratio vs 1:42 in Lo range for the FJ MT and probably 1:33 with the FJ AT. Rolling down in 4 Lo in the Pathfinder was not practical as the speed was too high and there was too much slipping on the rocks (it had rained 1/2 hour ago). Hence I rode the brakes and took one step down at a time (1st Lo, clutch in). In the FJ MT, it may be the same problem, unless you can tolerate the higher speeds and seeming lack of control! The sound of the creek nearby makes you not hear the slipping of the wheels so higher speeds seems scary. Although.... some people claim they regularly go down in 4 Lo, no problem, minimal brakes. I wouldn't advise overconfidence though.
FJ AT would be easier as you can apply the brakes to assist (without constantly de-clutching as in an MT, requiring another thing to deal with!)
With an MT and the pathfinder, the gradient+4Lo would overcome the power of the brakes, a scary sensation, the first time you experience it. I'm sure that wont be the case in an AT, so a little more relaxing, and easier to keep an eye on the road and glance at the beautiful views.
All of these trails, require only good All-terrain tires (not all season, MT is overkill). This and good brakes is probably more important than clearance and gearing in most SUV's (Even a stock FJ is overkill IMO) for all the passes here in the San Juan's (except Poughkeepsie Gulch).
One thing I've noticed is that when you sense a tipping over, its better to let off the brakes, roll through and then brake when the wheels are down. Its a little counter-intuitive. It always better to pick a more level path.
In the Pathfinder, it had a tighter turning radius than the FJ, and I took the first switchback after the steps in one go, i.e. went wide and then did a 3 point turn (right rear in the air!) as I went down to the waterfall. I'm sure I would have tipped over if I braked when the wheel was in the air.
I haven't been to the San Juans in my FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
That ledge runs across the trail at a 45 degree angle and there is a hole right in the middle of it. What happens is people drop their left front wheel into the hole, then hit the brakes and the momentum takes them over and to the left.

The best way to do it is come into to it a little to the right, then turn left so you are square with the ledge. Straddle the hole and ease both front wheels down the ledge together. Once the front wheels are down you can start your turn back to the right and the rear will follow.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That ledge runs across the trail at a 45 degree angle and there is a hole right in the middle of it. What happens is people drop their left front wheel into the hole, then hit the brakes and the momentum takes them over and to the left.

The best way to do it is come into to it a little to the right, then turn left so you are square with the ledge. Straddle the hole and ease both front wheels down the ledge together. Once the front wheels are down you can start your turn back to the right and the rear will follow.

That's what I was thinking: "Why not go right, square up on the ledge, and then proceed down and back to the right a bit." I've never attempted Black Bear, and might not after seeing these vids. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts