Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
We were up there 4 days ago. Black Bear was still closed due to snow. Hopefully it will be open for you guys. Overnight lows are in the 40's.

These were taken 4 days ago on top of Engineer Pass: Enjoy!!

DSC03232.jpg

DSC03238.jpg

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
can you explain what you mean. i will be so bummed if i can't do black bear.
He means there is a 30 foot wall of snow on top. See post #41 for a visual aid.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Two things, Jim-Ds idea of oh thats easy is kinda scary. He did get my 18ft big ol Tundra over Schofield Pass and the Devils Punch bowl. AND I hope I get to do Pearl Pass with him this year as well as Blanca Peak.

Black Bear is a little scary but a piece of cake with a good spotter. If you can do it in a Crew-Max a Fj is a shoe in.

If you make it up Blanca I will need lots of video.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The crews are working hard this week to open Black Bear. We are hearing stories that there are very tall snow drifts up on Imogene. Apparently the temps are helping and we know that the crews are doing all they can to clear Black Bear and Poughkeepsie after the wall.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I took the Aussie contingent at the Summit over Black Bear on Friday morning and they were pretty amazed at the spectacular scenery. Here are a couple of pic's from the outing:

·
Registered
279 Posts
doing this on probably a terrible weekend (fourth of july) and im sure itll be a traffic jam. but a top heavy fj will do fine im sure? (rtt, fuel)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
doing this on probably a terrible weekend (fourth of july) and im sure itll be a traffic jam. but a top heavy fj will do fine im sure? (rtt, fuel)
There is a very good chance it won't open until mid July which is usually when they open it. Normally, it is the last trail to open. Make alternate plans.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Very doubtful it will be open. I recall seeing a report from the county putting the expected open date at July 12th.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
It may be open as far as the summit from 550. You can often go to the summit and come back as the steps down into Telluride is always the last part to be cleared. And if you come back try the Bullion King Lake trail which forks of to the south near the start of Black Bear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 57 of 57 Posts