Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
LOL I'm totally afraid of heights..the summit is my therapy to get over it...did I mention I'm not driving!!! Letting the hubby drive my car since he's not afraid of heights...it's from being a flatlander...nothing but hills out here ")

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Well, the one thing I can say is that these videos certainly make Black Bear seem more difficult than it really is. Just like all the other trails around Ouray, it's more about the scenery than the difficulty. Nobody, even in a stock FJ, should be at all scared of this trail . . . unless they are incompetent, afraid of heights, have bad or no brakes, or have a terrible body mount rub.
Agreed. Black Bear is doable, safe,, and really not hard wheeling. It might be scary for some people, but that's a separate issue.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Agreed. Black Bear is doable, safe,, and really not hard wheeling. It might be scary for some people, but that's a separate issue.
I agree, I have been running Black Bear for the last 8 or 9 years with no assistance in a myriad of 4x4s, many less capable than FJ. Summit was the first time I was guided and I felt like a tremendous puss

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Black Bear wasn't too bad, just watch your spotter, they walked me right thought it. Watch the videos you can see the queues for when to turn and when the wheel was going do drop around the first right turn.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I led that group. I have never seen that footage before.

We had 13 trucks in our group, and 6 had never truly off roaded before. We had two drivers with stick shifts who had never been to the mountains before. And numerous drivers and occupants that were afraid of heights. We did not have a single problem and had a great time. Took us a little longer than we would have hoped, but a day in the Colorado mountains no matter how long is hard to complain about.

Just trust your spotter, and you will have no problems at all with Black Bear. And it is truly one of the most beautiful descents in the country to drive down.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i was in that group (white TT) and loved the trail :rocker:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I thought that was you...I spotted the KC's.:rocker:

I cannot wait to run this trail!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Great videos that are bringing back great trail run memories in the high country of Colorado, second to none. And the fact that its FJ Cruisers in the video does not hurt the fond feelings of I WANT TO GET BACK AND DO IT AGAIN!! Here is the part leading up to and just past "The STEPS"...................
Followed Skersfan for our first pre-run up & down Black Bear Pass last year and thats how my rig earned her name that day: Black Bear. I made it back!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I led that group. I have never seen that footage before.

We had 13 trucks in our group, and 6 had never truly off roaded before. We had two drivers with stick shifts who had never been to the mountains before. And numerous drivers and occupants that were afraid of heights. We did not have a single problem and had a great time. Took us a little longer than we would have hoped, but a day in the Colorado mountains no matter how long is hard to complain about.
Skersfan and Brewnasty, where you in the group where I posted the video? If you were, do you happen to have any pictures from last year of my Brick FJ? There were a few taking pictures on me on the steps, but I've never seen them, nor found out who was on the run with me.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I think our run was at 915, but will check with my son as he took video and pictures.

I have footage of Motordrive on the day before.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts