Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did those of you with automatics descend in 1st gear and 4 low without having to ride your brakes ? I'm considering an FJ. With my Scout in1st and 4 low if it's steep I still have to ride my brakes. Thanks,Mark

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did those of you with automatics descend in 1st gear and 4 low without having to ride your brakes ? I'm considering an FJ. With my Scout in1st and 4 low if it's steep I still have to ride my brakes. Thanks,Mark
Most of the time I was in 4 low (Granny). If it was real steep and depending on how fast I wanted to descend I only used the brakes every once in a while. Using the brakes in Granny depends a lot on how fast you think is safe for a given section of the trail.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
It's best to use low low on a trail like that. I used my brakes very little going down. I followed a rental Jeep on the Alpine loop could see his brake lights all the way down Imogene pass. There was smoke coming out of the rear brakes and I'm surprised he didn't lose his brakes all together. You do not want to lose your brakes going down any of those passes. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
In low (transfer case) on flat ground 1st gear is good up to 5mph or so, then you up-shift. So on downhill if you're doing 8-10mph in low/1st the engine is screaming.

Longest prolonged run I've had in low/1st is the 3 drops past the summit of Red Cone:

Guanella And Red Cone Pass - Driving trip | EveryTrail

The truck was at 4K rpms and the speed (per that GPS track) never went over 10mph, and those drops on Red Cone are a lot more steep/long than Black Bear.

For anything too steep/rocky you shouldn't be going too fast anyway, 1-2mph tops and that's easy work for the brakes.

Get the FJ and don't worry about it :rocker:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
. I followed a rental Jeep on the Alpine loop could see his brake lights all the way down Imogene pass. There was smoke coming out of the rear brakes and I'm surprised he didn't lose his brakes all together. :mecry:
That's an interesting trail you were on since Imogene pass isn't on the Alpine Loop. :rocker:

To your point though I have an auto and hardly ever needed to use the breaks on any trail at the Summit to control my speed while in low range and 1st gear. Two things you have to put the tranny in 1st manually or its gonna want to up shift on you, and when you do use the brakes just apply them long enough to get your speed down where you want it and get off them until your speed builds to the point where it needs to come down again.

Go for the auto you'll have no problems if you treat it right.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up.

As I was observing people coming along "the steps" I often noticed vehicles "lurching" forward over each bump. I peaked inside a few vehicles and found folks running in second gear, low range. Most thought they were in the lowest gear not knowing they need to bump the shifter to the right for first gear.

It really is a necessary skill/habit to learn to shift as necessary even with an automatic on this type of terrain. It will save your brakes on the descents and it will make ascents easier too.

Over six years of attending the Summit and seeing far too many brake light shining nearly constantly, it is obvious that this is an area that needs work.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
What? When did they move it?*
Thought that would get a laugh.

I'm glad you brought this up.

As I was observing people coming along "the steps" I often noticed vehicles "lurching" forward over each bump. I peaked inside a few vehicles and found folks running in second gear, low range. Most thought they were in the lowest gear not knowing they need to bump the shifter to the right for first gear.
That's interesting since there is a nice indicator in the instrument cluster that tells you what gear you are in even though you should know by the feal of the shift lever what gear your in so you don't have to take your eyes off the trail.

Learned many years ago about proper gear selection and minimum breaking driving trucks loaded with farm equipment or grain on steep grades.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
People definitely overuse brakes on the trails as a rule. The engine brake is your best friend, and does a far better job on dirt and rocks than the brakes will in regard to a controlled decent.

The worst idea is to ever put the truck in neutral and solely rely on brakes. Runaway train waiting to happen :lol:

My goal is to never use the brakes because the gearing is so low in LL in my 6MT, so there is rarely the need for brakes. It crawls up and down like a champ.

The best all around gear in LL for me is. 3rd. Sometimes I roll into 3rd because 1st and 2nd are super low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Learned many years ago about proper gear selection and minimum breaking driving trucks loaded with farm equipment or grain on steep grades.
I first learned driving tractors and later helping a farmer bale hay on very steep fields where a load of hay would push you out of control if you weren't careful.

Same principle applies with pretty much all vehicles: cars, trucks, ATVs, tractors, etc.

·
Vendor
542 Posts
I have been wheeling for a while and I really think an auto is better for wheeling overall.

I have seen guys with manuals stall out, burn up the clutch, snap stuff, get frustrated, and so on and I just motor by nice and smooth in my auto.

Did not use my brakes to much on Black Bear Pass. Everything was just fine.

I do have a manual in my 2005 Tacoma. Burned through several clutches and 4 transmission already. We are all friends here, so I will tell you, the 6 speed manual is about the worst transmission Toyota ever put in one of their trucks. Trust me, you are much better off with the auto.

G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts