Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pre-ordered black cherry. Not in love with any of the colors. Don't want silver or black, yellow and blue too bright.... I'm nervous now about getting a purple car. I like the way it looks in most of the pictures (the darker the better) Can those of you that have seen it in person weigh in? Does it look more purple or more burgundy? I'm not sure where the closest Scion dealer is to look in person....

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I think I just got a message from the Toyota gods. I walked out to get a salad to munch on and a Prius stopped right in front of me.....in black cherry of course. It looked good. I asked my co-worker..."is that purplish or dark red?" "burgundy" he said. hmm. It's shady/cloudy here though and I think the light makes a lot of difference....

edit: nevermind...just went to toyota.com and built a prius...it's barcelona red metallic unless they had black cherry in 2005 or something. Bah

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
can anyone comment on this that has seen this color in person on the fj? It'd be really helpful to a lot of people...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Attached is a post I did this past weekend on the black cherry and perhaps it will be helpful. One additional thought I would share is that the purple cast is not very apparent at all from beyond 10 to 12 feet away from the vehicle. You have to get fairly close to pick it up. The color would have been better for me as a dark maroon but its still a very attractive color and certainly one of the best available. Here is the post...

I had some time off in Houston yesterday so I decided to visit one of the local Scion dealers who had a Black Cherry vehicle in stock. Houston weather yesterday was clear and sunny so I wanted to be able to see the color in the shade and sunlight. When we arrived the car was under a covered area and after looking at it the salesman moved it into the sunlight.

Its a pretty color but not what I would call "black cherry". I was expecting more of a dark maroon color. I am an older guy so I probably don't have the degree of color sense that even the average person has. With me however was a young woman who worked the flight with us (maybe mid to late 20's) and I suspect she does have a very good idea about colors. She looked at it and immediately said "Plum". It does have a purple cast both in and out of the shade. Houston had weather Wednesday so we also found a demo vehicle that had some road grime on it. When dirty the color lost it's depth and looked faded. For those of us that live in the Southwest and have the hot summer sun it may fade to a less desirable color.

So if you are considering the black cherry go look at one. Its worth the visit to see the exact color in person. You may really like it but you should see it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
can anyone comment on this that has seen this color in person on the fj? It'd be really helpful to a lot of people...
They had 2 at the Greenville event.It was overcast,a little sun.In full sunlight and the FJS was very clean, it would look good,lots of metallic in paint,at night ,you probably could not tell what color it is.If the vehicle was dirty at all 'would be hard to discern the color.Maroonish,dark burgundy,eggplant with metallic any one could be used to describe the color. So,if you're into washing a car everyday,this color might work for you.Also these dark colors magnify dings and other imperfections. The blue was a pleasant surprise,much better than any picture. The yellow,think TAXI.Myself,I'l play it safe with the titanium. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
black cherry pearl would be my choice. but then, i sell scion's too and know the color well. it's an awesome color in all lighting, etc. the only better color would be radiant red.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep beautiful color when they are clean and the sun is shining and when they are under the car dealerships lights,seen a ton of scions in that color and most of them needed their daily washing. On the other hand if you want that "just back from the tundra(frozen wasteland)look,an excellent color choice. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
Go to the Scion dealer and see it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is a Lexus ES300 in a similar color here in the parking lot at the Salt Mines.

It's a very good looking deep, burgandy red.

It just seems too dark for scuffing through the sage brush and pine trees. It would show every scratch...

I'm planning on Titanium unless the my wife gets Veto power, then it'll be Blue.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've seen the Black Cherry and Yellow (sun puke fission) and the blue in person... None of them really grab the gonads, know what I'm sayin? But the blue is nice. Bright. Very close, if not the same as the FJ40s... But who knows what hue the actual production vehicles will be. As I've said in other posts, I don't really like what I think are colors that were probably destined for the Scion brand... The Black Cherry is Burgundy to me. I didn't like the color, reminded me too much of my father's Oldmobile 442 (my first car, btw -- stinkin' thing came with a Buick motor! Back when GM was switchin' motors around like no one would notice... And people wonder why GM is circling the toilet)..

Anyway, to get back on topic: I suppose the colors might appeal to those who might buy a 2WD version as a soccor waggon. But-----

DAMN IT TOYOTA! GIVE ME A TAN DIESEL OR GIVE ME DEATH !!!

Uggghhhh...... (rising sun just fell on me)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Slab said:
I pre-ordered black cherry. Not in love with any of the colors. Don't want silver or black, yellow and blue too bright.... I'm nervous now about getting a purple car. I like the way it looks in most of the pictures (the darker the better) Can those of you that have seen it in person weigh in? Does it look more purple or more burgundy? I'm not sure where the closest Scion dealer is to look in person....

I think you'll be happy with your color choice, but that should probably be the least of your worries. Have you been to any of the events and actually sat in the Fj ?? Is it comfortable ? Are there blind spots? Just some things to thinks about...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bubbahotep said:
I think you'll be happy with your color choice, but that should probably be the least of your worries. Have you been to any of the events and actually sat in the Fj ?? Is it comfortable ? Are there blind spots? Just some things to thinks about...
No matter what color I order the comfort and bind spots will be the same. The only things I can control right now are the selections on my pre-order. When the vehicle hits the showroom, I'll get a chance to try it on for size.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
my color of the day is blue. I think silver is too "safe," black cherry resembles purple too much in some shots, and I think blue will be fun and is growing on me as a very "classic" look. So, blue it is for me...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm just goin' w/Crimson-like for the Black Cherry color description, since I'm a lifetime Bama football fan, and (displaced) native son...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drove a Balck Cherry FJ , the color is great , offset is nice with the white roof, I have a Voodoo coming only because I thought the black cherry would be just as hard as black , which I also test drove, to keep clean. Black cherry was a M6 ,black was automatic. Both had an awesome ride.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Slab said:
I pre-ordered black cherry. Not in love with any of the colors. Don't want silver or black, yellow and blue too bright.... I'm nervous now about getting a purple car. ...
See recent post by MSGT1091 for a good reply. I'm waiting for mine too, and feel exactly like you posted. Too bright is not for me...This was the most acceptable color. But now I think I'm really gonna like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts